News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New OTA DVR option with NO monthly fees!

Started by Will, Tuesday Jan 08, 2008, 03:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

EchoStar TR-40 and TR-50 converter boxes

For those of you, like me, who have been waiting for a way to record OTA HD without the hassle of a computer or the monthly fees like with Tivo, here you go:

cnet or engadget

Call me cheap, but I don't have cable, and this is the first one in a couple of years that can do OTA HD (see Sony HDD-250).  Reportedly this is coming out in July.  It will use over the air metadata for the guide, getting 7 days worth of data.  It pauses live TV, does commercial skip, etc., just like a DVR should.  It has HDMI and component out, and has a USB port (for external HDD?).  I hope the price is reasonable.  

Also included in the links is info about the Echostar digital converter box (TR-40).  It is slated to be $40, so free after government rebate.

cjucoder

I'll be keeping my eye on this box. Both my current HiDef DVRs will likely loose guide ability when analog goes byebye (Gemstar TV Guide guide).  They still both work great (except for 36-1 constant inaccurate info, but that is for another thread).  I also am OTA only and am hoping not to have to pay for TiVo, but I can tell you this: I can't (well, I don't want to) live without a DVR ever again.

StarvingForHDTV

Quote from: Will;43681It will use over the air metadata for the guide, getting 7 days worth of data.

Forget about CBS 58.  They (and the other channels they own) do not provide guide data.

I think the government credit only works for certain items, and only for ones that do NOT output HD signals.

Will

Quote from: StarvingForHDTV;43693Forget about CBS 58.  They (and the other channels they own) do not provide guide data.

I think the government credit only works for certain items, and only for ones that do NOT output HD signals.

This will get its data from Gemstar / TV Guide, not from the individual stations.  So no relying on 58!  Gemstar has an ATSC solution for the guide, so it should work just like the Sony mentioned above.  Hopefully Gemstar can get the ATSC 36-1 data right, though!

See this video from cnet for more:

http://reviews.cnet.com/EchoStar_TR_50_DVR/4660-13855_7-6826151.html

Re: the gov't credit, you are correct.  The TR-40 is the simple converter box, and should be eligible.  The TR-50 will most definitely NOT be eligible.

Tunebug

EchoStar=Dish Network, correct?  Will you have to have dish network to get this or will you just be able to buy it and use it with OTA only?

jkane

Found this link on DBSForums for the TR-40.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=DTVPAL-TR40

Not in stock yet, but it actually came out at just $40.  My Dad uses Dish, and has some locals yet, so this'll have less of a learnign curve since the menu's are similar.

Haven't seen the TR-50 yet.  What do you all (you's guys) think it'll appear on the market for? $700?  More? Less?

beeper

We will have to wait for more details on the TR-50.

TiVo still holds the patent and licensing rights to DVR technology.

The TR-50 will most likely work like a TiVo. Pay an annual fee, and it will record.

Or, the purchase price will have the licensing fee built in.

BTW, Dish has already renamed the TR-40 to something more sexy.

Beeper

jkane

According to the reports, Tivo's patent only effects some of the older dish models.  I am sure Dish is using the new code base for the TR-50.  It should not be an issue.