News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC and Tuning Adapters

Started by TiVo Dude, Wednesday Sep 10, 2008, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danno321

Quote from: LoadStar;51427WOOOHOOO!

Tuning adapter and M-Card both working! (Data entry with the pairing back at the head end, I believe - the Host ID wasn't entered quite right.)

If you would be so kind, what is the monthly fee for 1) the M-Stream CableCard and 2) SDV Tuning Adapter?

LoadStar

Quote from: Danno321;53982If you would be so kind, what is the monthly fee for 1) the M-Stream CableCard and 2) SDV Tuning Adapter?

Tuning Adapter: free
M-Card: $2.50

Danno321

Quote from: LoadStar;53984Tuning Adapter: free
M-Card: $2.50

Great news!  I was expecting the TA to be around $10/month.  I am getting a Moxi!

sknaf

I have 2 S3 boxes.  So I need 4 s-cards.
I thought TW said they were about $4 ea.
Are the S cards more, or did I talk to the wrong person.

It rubs me wrong to have to pay $16 more just to have tivo,
so I am only OTA now.

~Knaf

Danno321

Quote from: sknaf;53988I have 2 S3 boxes.  So I need 4 s-cards.

so I am only OTA now.

~Knaf

The Moxi I am getting is the 500GB HD DVR with eSATA support.  It has one M-Card slot for recording 2 channels at a time just like TWC's DVRs.   If it works well, then I am getting the Moxi Mate that connects to the Moxi DVR over Ethernet to replace my SA8300HDC.  This should save me about TWC $40-50 per month.  Moxi and Mate will be $800 so payback in 16 months.  But sooner than that as I attach value to more capable Moxi box and an actually better HD picture.  So I will put payback at 12 months.  I think TWC should stop renting mediocre set top boxes and tell the subscriber to buy a box and TWC will supply the M-Card and SDV box.  And why can't the SDV and M-Card be engineered to work with a moxi/tivo/? without an outboard SDV adapter box???

LoadStar

Quote from: sknaf;53988I have 2 S3 boxes.  So I need 4 s-cards.

so I am only OTA now.

~Knaf

Yeah, that's the unfortunate part about TiVo S3 vs. TiVo HD. As I understand, you can use M-Cards in the S3, but they only function as S-Cards, and so if you want to activate both tuners, you'd need two cards regardless. :(

I went back and looked through my statements... looks like up until this last billing period, the CableCard rate was $3.40/mo, and that's what the updated list of charges said it would be for 2010. However, as of the November bill, there is a note that says that the new rate for CableCard is $2.50/mo. I don't begin to understand what Time Warner is doing there.

honduh chicken

I finally dumped TWC!  I couldn't handle the stuttering, Tivo reboots, and shitty tuning adapter any longer.  Unfortunately because I loved my Tivo, but it had to go!  Can't wait until the DirecTV Tivo comes out now.  Until then I'm using Dish network.  Their DVR SUCKS hard, but the picture and sound quality is leaps and bounds above cable. As far as I'm concerned, TWC can shove their shitty old copper coax right up their penis shaft.  No more switched digital, no more tuning adapter, no more stuttering and digital distortion and pixlation, no more rate hikes, no more network black outs, no more TWC store.  After 20 years, they aren't welcome in my home any longer.  Cut the cable.

gparris

Quote from: honduh chicken;55343I finally dumped TWC!  I couldn't handle the stuttering, Tivo reboots, and shitty tuning adapter any longer.  Unfortunately because I loved my Tivo, but it had to go!  Can't wait until the DirecTV Tivo comes out now.  Until then I'm using Dish network.  Their DVR SUCKS hard, but the picture and sound quality is leaps and bounds above cable. As far as I'm concerned, TWC can shove their shitty old copper coax right up their penis shaft.  No more switched digital, no more tuning adapter, no more stuttering and digital distortion and pixlation, no more rate hikes, no more network black outs, no more TWC store.  After 20 years, they aren't welcome in my home any longer.  Cut the cable.

DirecTivo was great when I had it years ago in its SD form, back in 2003, then I went to TWC because I moved and got a great deal from TWC and they finally had HD DVRs I didn't have to come with upfront money for at the time.

TWC's SDV is bad, there were other ways to get around the many analog-only subscribers to keep them happy, but SDV just doesn't cut it.
How TWC can run TV ads about rainfade when they have big SDV crashes like a few weeks ago when it all went down, including heavy pixelation in action scenes and so on-something satellite never has (that I have witnessed).;)
Tuning adapters and cable cards can get aggravating, my clients tell this also, so much they moved on to other choices for pay TV other than TWC, but they never went OTA-only because they wanted more selection as a household.