News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

High Def Disc Players Review

Started by gparris, Sunday Feb 18, 2007, 10:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blitzburgh

Quote from: gparris;37813Added the last two items, thank you SRW1000 :wave:
(If there is any other "Con" to the HD-DVD addon to XBOX, let me know.)

It is not a PS3....lol

PS3's :rock:

gparris

Quote: "It is not a PS3....lol "

Gee, thanks for the constructive and helpful posting.:rolleyes:

The HD DVD add on continues with the newer version of the XBOX 360, though it is not available as a built-in HD DVD drive like the PS3.
Seems as though Microsoft does not want it that way, still.:confused:

(IMO, maybe if HD DVD does not survive, this could become a problem so it is still an addon device-just a possiblity.)

FYI, lets keep this thread to adding new product listings-only...thank you.

Mark Strube

It should also be added that the Xbox 360 drive provides no digital video output - only component or VGA. (Until the new deluxe 360 is released.) Also, there's currently a bug where it kills the dynamic range on any Dolby Digital Plus track, leaving it sounding very flat. It converts all the other sound formats just fine, however. There's supposedly been an update on its way, but that's been claimed since last year, so I wouldn't count on it being too soon.

gparris

Thanks for the input, I will see if that can be edited in somehow.;)

gparris

The high-def disc format player listing has been updated today.
Though this thread is not a place for discussion, it is more of a place for updating the listings given and constructive suggestions.
If I have missed any currently-available products or have something that needs to be changed, any constructive comments will be appreciated...thank you.;)

gparris

Just added more high def DVD players to the list with updates on others.

Seems like high def players are here to stay with more features, more models and lower prices - check out the first page of listings!:wave:

Cheesehead Dave

Quote from: gparris;37797Sony PS3
Cons:
Bluetooth-only remote operation not usable for Universal remotes that use IR only
I picked up one of these and was able to get it to work with my Harmony remote; the codes were already in there, so there was no manual programming needed.
Pros:
You can now use your universal remote to playing DVDs with your PS3.
Can be had for $15.

Cons:
Takes up one of the USB ports with the dongle.
If plugged in when you start up the system, gets assigned as controller #1.

gparris

Quote from: Cheesehead Dave;40984I picked up one of these and was able to get it to work with my Harmony remote; the codes were already in there, so there was no manual programming needed.
Pros:
You can now use your universal remote to playing DVDs with your PS3.
Can be had for $15.

Cons:
Takes up one of the USB ports with the dongle.
If plugged in when you start up the system, gets assigned as controller #1.

Thanks, I did the update to this listing.:wave:

gparris

For tracking what releases are out, what their features are and stats as to what is offered on both, I have some links some might find useful:
http://www.blu-raystats.com/index.php?OrderBy=Audio for Blu-ray
AND
http://www.hddvdstats.com/index.php for HD DVD

Sometimes if you are about to get a player, you wonder as to which of its features are the most useful to have and based on the stats of the discs given in these links, you can decide for yourself.;)

RLJSlick

Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

bubbaridesfast

I have a lot of PAL format dvd's. Does anyone know if any of the HD-DVD or Blu-Ray players can play both PAL and NTSC like alot of $35 SD dvd players now can?

RLJSlick

Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

gparris

Quote from: bubbaridesfast;41715I have a lot of PAL format dvd's. Does anyone know if any of the HD-DVD or Blu-Ray players can play both PAL and NTSC like alot of $35 SD dvd players now can?

Tried checking, cannot locate any information.
- If that is all you're going to want to play are PAL DVDs, keep your old $35 DVD player hooked up.;)
HD DVD players are region free, unlike BDs from what I have read, so these can be a better bargain that way, besides the new pricing (see engadget link).:D

bubbaridesfast

I wish it was that simple but you are familiar with the WAF right? I currently do not have a PAL capable player and only have room for 1 dvd player in this (small) old house.

I hope to be able to remedy all by getting a new player one day capable of everything. It makes no sense that all dvd players can't play both PAL and NTSC, in Europe it is a requirement I'm told which is partially why the really cheap players here do (simpler to just distribute 1 version of a product).

I currently edit the IFO files in PAL dvd's to "trick" my Sony into thinking the disc is NTSC. Of course this is only possible when burning a dvd. But I have to do this for dvd titles not available with an NTSC version.

Thanks for the engadget link, nice to see price drops but I'll still be on the format fence unless the combo players really drop. I was burned once on a $1100 Beta machine.:mad:

I was reading the owners manual online for that Toshiba HD-DVD player and it shows it is NTSC only on page 69:mad: :mad:

gparris

Note: I have updated the listings again for the high def disc players.

IF there is anything to add or any constructive comments, please post...thank you!:wave: