News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

HDTV Low Power Station Equipment

Started by mike31z, Friday Mar 07, 2014, 04:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike31z

Hi I am new to the forum and have been given a project (this is a non profit) to find the price to set up a Low Power HDTV Station (LPTV).  1 Sept 2015 all LPTV must be HD.
Digital LPTV stations are limited to an effective radiated power of 3 kilowatts (VHF) and 15 kilowatts (UHF).

1. I have been to the FCC site to find license info.
2. I need to find a source of equipmentfor a low power equipment.
3. The transmission range would be 1 mile.

any help would be appreciated.

The station would be 15 miles South of Wisconsin Rapids in the Town of Rome.

Thanks for Looking.

Mike P

duncantuna

Have no ability to help you with your questions, but go to Rome a few times a year.  

Curious, what is the TV station going to broadcast?

mike31z

score results for the WI Trapshooting Association during the month of july. It may also post admin things related to RV park.

Mike P

jjallou

Quote from: mike31z;59865score results for the WI Trapshooting Association during the month of july. It may also post admin things related to RV park.

Mike P

Wouldn't a webpage work as well?

mike31z

That might work.
the 1st option I am working on is LPTV.
we have close to 100 rv that would get this feed. and that could raise to 200 in 5 years.

the web option is another way
we would have our own wifi network with servers and then stream the results.

Finding the cost of each option is the 1st Goal.

Mike P

brewtownska

Thing is, if it's a TV channel and digital, the only RVs that will be able to receive it are ones that have a built-in digital tuner or another means to receive/convert the digital to analog.  I'm not knowledgeable in the RV markets, so maybe there is a high percentage of people that will have that ability.

But I would guess there's a higher percentage of people with a smart phone or a laptop with a wireless connection.  I would agree with the previous poster saying a website may be a better way to go.  Whether that's just a regular website being provided, or you go with a larger plan to try and provide wifi access to that full square mile, I'm not sure where you draw the line.

Keep us all updated with what you find out, as I don't think any of us know the costs of the TV equipment, but most people have an idea on the costs of hosting a website and it's not expensive at all.  Going with providing wifi access to the while RV park could get costly, but who knows...maybe that is already in place?
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

mike31z

Brew thanks for you comments.

on 1 sep 2014 all tv must be HD. low or high power.

I only need real low power system in a new transmission market and maybe a 30 ft antenna max to reach my market 3/4 miles. A lot of previous RV user were accustom to seeing the results at different state trap events in their RV (campers) on analog TV.

Now we must be HD.

The sellers of DTV equipment are just not advertising, period.

There is a void in the really low power broadcast equipment on the internet websites and the turnaround for a new license is even less then desireable.

Mike P

jjallou

Quote from: mike31z;59871Brew thanks for you comments.

on 1 sep 2014 all tv must be HD. low or high power.

I only need real low power system in a new transmission market and maybe a 30 ft antenna max to reach my market 3/4 miles. A lot of previous RV user were accustom to seeing the results at different state trap events in their RV (campers) on analog TV.

Now we must be HD.

The sellers of DTV equipment are just not advertising, period.

There is a void in the really low power broadcast equipment on the internet websites and the turnaround for a new license is even less then desireable.

Mike P

Low powers need to be all digital. HD or SD is the users choice....

It would be cheaper to setup a wi-fi system and just stream the content.

techguy1975

Pretty sure a webpage would be the cheaper way to go.  You'd need to apply to the FCC for a license to broadcast, do engineering studies etc.  All that is $$$.  Go with a website.

John L

To air slides and videos automatically on a 24 hr/ 7 days per week with just only 1 person operating your TV station, Leightronix, Inc. in Michigan has could help you there. Check their website //www.leightronix.com

I have used their Ultra-Nexus model for programming a community cable access station.  It only takes one person to program it to air and schedule several videos and slides 24 hrs per day 7 days per week.

-John L.