News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Time Warner cost increase

Started by KryptoNyte, Sunday Oct 14, 2012, 04:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PONIES

Quote from: KryptoNyte;58925Which modem did you get, Ponies, so the rest of us know which one is compatible?

The list has been updated to say only the SB6141 and SBG6850 are "approved."

The DDW3611 used to be on their approved list and in other markets this is a modem Time Warner does give out.

I bought a Ubee DDW3611 off eBay for $50, had tier 3 activate it, and it performs much better than Time Warner's SB6141 or SBG6850 ever did.

I think the Ubee modems are underrated and Motorola is larger with better marketing.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: PONIES;58930The list has been updated to say only the SB6141 and SBG6850 are "approved."

The DDW3611 used to be on their approved list and in other markets this is a modem Time Warner does give out.

I bought a Ubee DDW3611 off eBay for $50, had tier 3 activate it, and it performs much better than Time Warner's SB6141 or SBG6850 ever did.

I had looked at all of the DOCSIS 3 modems on "some" TW list last spring and saw this Ubee.  However I didn't like it as I don't like any modem that's combined with a router or wireless router.  That's why I liked the 6141.  

I am wondering, though, how you measured the performance.  Do you have a more detailed comparison?  

Also I've read a few comments from other markets saying that the Tier 3 people activated modems that were not on the list and they worked fine.  I have also read comments saying that FCC rules prohibit the cable company from dictating which modems a customer can use.  Along the lines of, "If they are technically compatible and in good working order, they shall be activated."  I haven't looked up the cited language but if there's anything to it we'll probably hear more about it.

PONIES

I think we've already been through this song and dance as to why I like this modem:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,27398112

;)

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: PONIES;58932I think we've already been through this song and dance as to why I like this modem:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,27398112

;)

Thanks.  I had a feeling I'd read about it somewhere before but couldn't remember where or the specifics.  I'm getting old.  :)

KryptoNyte

I ended up just running over to the local Best Buy a grabbing a Motorola SB5101.  For 60 bucks, it seemed like a quick fix for the leasing cost.

cdnelson

I currently have an Arris TM402G eMTA that's running both my phone service and my internet.  Going by the TWC site, it seems that I'd have to by a separate cable modem, split the line, and still have the eMTA anyhow.

Basically...because I have phone service, am I just screwed on the rental charge?

I'm probably going to talk to them about this modem anyhow as it's older and doesn't support DOCSIS 3.0. (At least not that I could see)

UPDATE - The TWC twitter help, confirmed that I can get a separate modem and so long as I only use the Arris for phone, I won't have the charge.  I asked if I can buy my own telephony modem rather than split my signal yet again...that answer was no.  Seems kind of pointless, but I may look into getting my own modem.  Now if I can figure out how to pare down one of my DVR's I can really save some money.

PONIES

Quote from: cdnelson;58941Now if I can figure out how to pare down one of my DVR's I can really save some money.

CableCARD tuner.

Quote from: KryptoNyte;58934I ended up just running over to the local Best Buy a grabbing a Motorola SB5101.  For 60 bucks, it seemed like a quick fix for the leasing cost.

A quick fix but a poor long term decision. That modem does not support DOCSIS 3.0.

60 bucks is the amount I paid for my DOCSIS 3.0 compatible Ubee DDW3611 off of eBay.

KryptoNyte

So, was it 50 bucks, or 60 bucks, Ponies?  ;)

Bebop

I don't remembered get a modem fee notice. When is the fee supposed to start?

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

LoadStar

Quote from: Bebop;58950I don't remembered get a modem fee notice. When is the fee supposed to start?

It was one of those sidebar updates on the last statement. I don't have my statement handy, but I think it is effective as of the next bill.

Bebop

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

PONIES

I don't really care if Time Warner keeps coming up with fees that smart customers can avoid like the modem rental fee, DVR rental fees, or how about that "wireless" fee? They have literally suckered some people into shelling out an extra $5 a month to have the wireless functionality enabled on their SBG6850s.

I have long been an advocate of stupidity taxes. I think it is a great thing when you can find a way to get dumber people to subsidize service for smarter people.

As long as these fees satiate their greedy appetite enough to keep their eyes off of bandwidth caps then I'm happy.