News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New Set Coming for TMJ4

Started by BK7725, Monday Aug 13, 2012, 11:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BK7725

Looks like TMJ4 has started construction on a new set, as all newscasts have moved to their temporary set starting with Live at Daybreak this morning. According to tweets and Facebook posts from Susan Kim, they will be at the temporary set for 5 weeks. She says it will be "very high tech" as well.

She said she will be posting pics of the construction on her Facebook page. Here's a link to the gallery she started. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4415123538571.2181314.1303312136&type=1

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. However, I was wondering why they didn't start construction once the Olympics started. Also, I didn't think they really needed a new one (yet). FOX6 desperately needs a new one more than TMJ4. Thoughts? Opinions?

trev57

I agree that I would've liked to see it before the Olympics, but from what I've heard, there were scheduling conflicts with the designer and the builder. I also agree that FOX 6 needs a new set, but that's just one of many things that needs to be changed there, IMO.

Oh, and Devlin Design Group is the designer of the new set, if anyone cares.

mrschimpf

Phew, I thought they had really cheaped out on a new set, but it's just a tempoary move (as for now, the poor weather staff has to go across the building to get to the greenscreen from the weather area).

All I have to say is; it's about time. That thing has been refreshed about six times since the Barcelona games when they went to 'TMJ' officially (I still miss the oddball 'Milwaukee as rendered in eggcrate-looking art' motif of the late 90's), and the set showed it's age even in the 2004 refresh. Hopefully they'll be able to use more space too; most of it is taken up by empty background which should be utilized much better.

Nels Harvey

Ugg!  I had a negative reaction to the new appearance!  Thank goodness it's only temporary.
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

LoadStar

Quote from: mrschimpf;58797Phew, I thought they had really cheaped out on a new set, but it's just a tempoary move (as for now, the poor weather staff has to go across the building to get to the greenscreen from the weather area).

All I have to say is; it's about time. That thing has been refreshed about six times since the Barcelona games when they went to 'TMJ' officially (I still miss the oddball 'Milwaukee as rendered in eggcrate-looking art' motif of the late 90's), and the set showed it's age even in the 2004 refresh. Hopefully they'll be able to use more space too; most of it is taken up by empty background which should be utilized much better.

If I recall correctly, the room is round or oval shaped, so it is difficult with that particular studio to use the space completely effectively.

I wonder if they will use the opportunity for a rebrand as well. I believe that the "Today's TMJ4" brand debuted at the same time as the current set. I think the "Today's" part is a bit ridiculous and should go.

trev57

Quote from: LoadStar;58800If I recall correctly, the room is round or oval shaped, so it is difficult with that particular studio to use the space completely effectively.

Yep, Studio A is circular with about 3/4 of it being used as the interview, standup, and main anchor areas as well as the weather center, and about 1/4 being used as "The Morning Blend" set.

mrschimpf

Quote from: LoadStar;58800I wonder if they will use the opportunity for a rebrand as well. I believe that the "Today's TMJ4" brand debuted at the same time as the current set. I think the "Today's" part is a bit ridiculous and should go.

The "Today's" branding started with Barcelona in July 1992. It was popular for awhile, but now the only ones using it are KIVI, WTMJ's sister ABC station in the Boise market, and KTHV, a CBS Gannett station in Little Rock. Along with On Your Side, it's really silly now (yes, I'm going to watch the station that's not on my side reporting yesterday's news :rof:).

Thanks for telling me more about the Studio A setup; I knew it was an in-the-round set but not how it's divided up. I'm not sure if they've pre-recorded a bunch of Morning Blend episodes in advance or they're starting construction after 10am when they've ended (and how Sunday Insight will film until then).

trev57

Quote from: mrschimpf;58804Thanks for telling me more about the Studio A setup; I knew it was an in-the-round set but not how it's divided up. I'm not sure if they've pre-recorded a bunch of Morning Blend episodes in advance or they're starting construction after 10am when they've ended (and how Sunday Insight will film until then).

No problem. Here's more information about Studio A, including a 360 degree view. (And for reference, the Morning Blend set is directly across from the main anchor desk)

http://web.archive.org/web/200012040619/http://www.touchtmj4.com/50www/building/studioa.htm

And Studio A has been gutted and construction is now underway.

http://instagram.com/p/OTryeIgLBu/

trev57

Updates on the new set will be kept on Devlin Design Group's blog starting tomorrow.

foxeng

I love the smell of new studio in the morning!

LoadStar

Quote from: foxeng;58852I love the smell of new studio in the morning!

... it smells like... ratings...

trev57

Quote from: LoadStar;58853... it smells like... ratings...

Mmmm....ratings.

In all seriousness though, it could mean higher ratings if it's not a flop like WISN's new set was. Coupled with the boost from the Olympics and the WISN black out, this could secure first place for TMJ4.

trev57

They say hopefully by Sunday.

techguy1975

Saw some pics on the TMJ4 site today... Looks very nice...Probably the best in Milwaukee (in my opinion)  If they do go live this weekend, please get some screen grabs for those of us out of viewing range :)

REVM1M

They will go live next Monday 9/10/12, per 10:00 pm ch 4 news last night (Sunday 9/2/12)