News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Boosting signal from rooftop antenna in apartment complex

Started by MoreTorque99, Monday Jan 02, 2006, 04:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoreTorque99

I just moved into a new apartment in Oconomowoc.  This is an area serviced by Charter cable so I have a new found interest in OTA HD.  I never thought it was possible to miss Time Warner Cable, but I do now.  The Charter digital "guide" is HORRID, HD picture quality is clearly worse than TWC, and they don't carry FOX HD.

So anyways, the building I am in has a skeleton/fishbone rooftop antenna.  It appears there is only 1 antenna for the entire complex (50 or so units?).  I am in the section that is farthest away from the antenna.  OTA digital reception is suprising good though.  The built in tuner in my Samsung HLR DLP picks up the following HD:
4-1
6-1
12-1
24-1
36-1
58-1

I do have signal loss depending on the day though so I am looking for something to boost it.

Do those single output amps (like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/25dB-UHF-VHF-FM-Video-Signal-Amplifier-Cable-TV-booster_W0QQitemZ5846913198QQcategoryZ39803QQcmdZViewItem) work when they are placed over 100 feet from the antenna?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mark Strube

I believe the idea is to place the amp as close to the antenna as possible. As far as I know, once it's gone that distance and the signal is already lost, it's lost. The idea is to increase the signal where it's already available, right after the antenna.

That's my understanding of it, anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

bradsmainsite

You are correct Mark it needs to be amplified at the signals best S/N ratio which is as close to the antenna as possible.

However it may work to use a GOOD quality distribution amp right at your wall plate and see what you get it may be just enough to solidify your picture.  Only about a 10db amp would be required any higher than this could splatter your signal (overdriven) all over the place and make it worse!