News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

WDJT your picture quality is RUBBISH!

Started by murdoc, Sunday Jan 03, 2010, 08:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murdoc

I caught the end of the Denver/KC game today and you should be ashamed to have picture quality this bad and label it as HD.  Motion blur and artifacts were everywhere.  I caught the highlights on Fox postgame and the picture looked fantastic so don't try to blame this on a network feed issue.  You should really rethink all those worthless subchannels.:mad:

WITI6fan

Quote from: murdoc;54472You should really rethink all those worthless subchannels.:mad:

The 1 person watching that home channel would disagree, my good sir!

:rolleyes:

budda

Quote from: WITI6fan;54473The 1 person watching that home channel would disagree, my good sir!

:rolleyes:

Logically, the needs of the many out-way the needs of the few. I say, scrape um off!{fart}

Rick_EE

Every other station has cleaned up their signal since the beginning of the season.

What is going to happen during the Super Bowl?

I have mentioned this before, but maybe we need a legal definition of HD?

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: murdoc;54472You should really rethink all those worthless subchannels.:mad:
I realize you're just blowing off steam, but ...

You could call them and tell them you want to sponsor the "Murdoc Channel" in perpetuity and will outbid Shorewest etc. to be the exclusive subchannel on 58.  Then tell them that you want to run it at a resolution of 1 line (1i).  

Or send your letter to the FCC telling them why Weigel is not operating in the public interest and why their license should be suspended.  

Good luck.  

In other words, they're just doing what they can to make a buck.

bschlafer

I've been seeing focus lock issues on all WDJT channels, most prevalent on the subs.  I chalk these up to bandwidth allotment issues, as suggested by Scott in another thread.

Poor signal quality in this age of HD TV is a sure road to ruin.

*Bill

SRW1000

Quote from: Rick_EE;54478Every other station has cleaned up their signal since the beginning of the season.
WTMJ's broadcasts look just as bad.

Scott

tencom

Why can't both channel 4 and channel 58 offer their HDTV streams  to cable systems, at the full ATSC rate, of  19.2 megabits per second. Right now channel  58 CBS HD is only averaging about 9.5 megabits per second,  and should be referred to as SEMI-HD!

Jack 1000

Are these issues related to one vendor or provider?

OTA?

TWC

Charter

U-Verse

Dish Network

Direct TV?

Or is it everyone?  That would help in solving the problem.  The only thing that I remember is on the Packer Game TWC had a signal outage on 1006 (HD channel 6)  and I was telling my Mom to switch it to SD channel 6.  There was a logo on SD channel 6 saying that they were switching the feeds and for whatever reason, for a few moments the HD feed on 1006 did not come in.

But a few minutes later, if not seconds, it was back.  PQ seemed fine.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Mark Strube

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;54483In other words, they're just doing what they can to make a buck.

At the expense of making their main money-maker channel look like garbage. I understand you're trying to point out the inevitability of it all... but it's really not to that point yet. They're still trying to figure out a money-making structure for these digital channels, and if those sub-channels aren't doing their part... especially combined with some letters from frustrated customers, there's a good chance they'd get dumped.

There's no reason for sarcastic suggestions on your part.

Rick_EE

Is Nielson compiling ratings for the subs, yet?  Why would anyone pay to advertise on the subs if they don't know their ROI?

All we really can do is complain and refuse to watch the channels.  I have sent a few emails to WDJT and CBS.  When I sent one to WTMJ, the engineer was kind enough to correspond with me.  PQ on NFL broadcasts did improve after the pre-season.

I don't watch a lot of broadcast TV, but I am worried when LOST comes back.  They do a lot of quick pans.

troyriley

Quote from: Rick_EE;54498I don't watch a lot of broadcast TV, but I am worried when LOST comes back.  They do a lot of quick pans.

I've never seen a problem on WISN-12, possibly because it lacks the sub-channels. Lost should be okay OTA.  The only issue may be with cable/satellite depending on compression.

WTMJ-4 was terrible during the Packer pre-season and 58 is bad for everything. Watch the opening theme for Big Bang Theory on 58 with all of the motion. It's terrible to watch, partly because WDJT and Shorewest feel I need to buy a new house that I see on 58-4.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: Mark Strube;54496At the expense of making their main money-maker channel look like garbage. I understand you're trying to point out the inevitability of it all... but it's really not to that point yet. They're still trying to figure out a money-making structure for these digital channels, and if those sub-channels aren't doing their part... especially combined with some letters from frustrated customers, there's a good chance they'd get dumped.

There's no reason for sarcastic suggestions on your part.

1.  Agreed, it's not to that point yet, and maybe you have access to P & L data, but I don't so I have to consider the facts at hand.  From my perspective the mere fact that they are loading up subchannels says volumes about how happy they are about profits on the flagship.  

2.  Right, we can all agree that all of this hasn't shaken out yet.  But your statement referring to "frustrated customers", implies that you see viewers as customers, which in the OTA world is wrong. Viewers are the products that the broadcaster is selling to advertisers.  I'm not saying don't complain and I'm not saying viewers don't matter.  I am simply saying that in our world of equality, advertisers are more equal than viewers.  

3.  Some find sarcasm so offensive and lacking reverence that they miss the underlying message.  For those people I can only paraphrase an old Onion public service message, which goes something like this:  
We regret to inform you that after careful consideration, we have decided you are not the type of reader the Onion is looking for. If at any time the need should arise for a reader such as yourself, we will contact you.  Until that time, we ask that you put the paper down.

bschlafer

Love that Onion quote.

I'll toss my sarcasm into the fray.  

Any business that puts profits over quality is ultimately doomed.  OTA stations can do a better job and I think in time they will.  

Muddled down picture quality is clearly not what the consumer was looking for with the digital conversion and the advent of HD.  The expectations have been raised and the consumers will demand better performance, quality programming and price.

*Bill

BTW, Fox/WITI is doing a fine job tonight with the Orange Bowl.  Excellent PQ and sound.

murdoc

Quote from: Jack 1000;54491Are these issues related to one vendor or provider?

OTA?

TWC

Charter

U-Verse

Dish Network

Direct TV?

Or is it everyone?  That would help in solving the problem.  The only thing that I remember is on the Packer Game TWC had a signal outage on 1006 (HD channel 6)  and I was telling my Mom to switch it to SD channel 6.  There was a logo on SD channel 6 saying that they were switching the feeds and for whatever reason, for a few moments the HD feed on 1006 did not come in.

But a few minutes later, if not seconds, it was back.  PQ seemed fine.

Jack

I made my statements after watching both "games" on un-compressed OTA.  As far as I know, TWC and D* do not compress the local signals, but since I was viewing OTA that throws that out of the equation.  I did flip to 58HD on D* and I noticed no difference.  D* can can compress all they want, but if they are only receiving 1/2 the "normal" bandwidth of other stations, the effects would be minimal.  Garbage in = garbage out