News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Looks like we can expect more of the same from CBS 58

Started by murdoc, Saturday Mar 10, 2007, 02:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murdoc

...this year during NCAA March Madness.  I just saw a commercial saying CBS58 is "proud to bring you multiple games" (that look like they are broadcast with a $20 webcam).  This is just ridiculous.  The Badgers could be going in as a number 1 seed, and we will get to follow their championship run in webcam SD and not HD as provided by CBS corporate.  Combine this with CBS58's desire to keep them off of D* HD, and it's time to start looking for a different station.  Does anyone know if either Madison or Green Bay will be showing the games in HDTV as they are supposed to be shown?  I've been able to pull in Madison and Green Bay stations before as long as the weather cooperates.  And finally:

BURN IN HELL CBS58!!! :bang: :bang: :Shoot: :Shoot: :guns: :guns:

TAS

WISC-DT has always done HDTV, last year i saw UWM play in HDTV when it was SD here.  (UWM is barely mentioned on Madison news but channel 3 made the effort for a HD game)

I have had perfect signal from WISC-DT all winter with a UHF antenna, amp all in atic.

If you are West of US41/45 you have a great chance of watching channel 3 (50DT)

murdoc

Quote from: TAS;38337WISC-DT has always done HDTV, last year i saw UWM play in HDTV when it was SD here.  (UWM is barely mentioned on Madison news but channel 3 made the effort for a HD game)

I have had perfect signal from WISC-DT all winter with a UHF antenna, amp all in atic.

If you are West of US41/45 you have a great chance of watching channel 3 (50DT)

Actually I'm on the east side of West Bend, but am atop a hill.  I've been able to pull in Madison stations quite well before.  Looks like I'll be headed up to the roof to adjust the antenna this week.  At least the snow is gone and I will have decent weather to work with.

LoadStar

Quote from: murdoc;38334...this year during NCAA March Madness.  I just saw a commercial saying CBS58 is "proud to bring you multiple games" (that look like they are broadcast with a $20 webcam).  This is just ridiculous.  The Badgers could be going in as a number 1 seed, and we will get to follow their championship run in webcam SD and not HD as provided by CBS corporate.  Combine this with CBS58's desire to keep them off of D* HD, and it's time to start looking for a different station.  Does anyone know if either Madison or Green Bay will be showing the games in HDTV as they are supposed to be shown?  I've been able to pull in Madison and Green Bay stations before as long as the weather cooperates.  And finally:

BURN IN HELL CBS58!!! :bang: :bang: :Shoot: :Shoot: :guns: :guns:

Unless I misunderstood the commercial, the multicast will be on Time Warner Cable only, not their broadcast channels, so unless TWC is extremely bandwidth starved, it won't affect the main channel at all. (I hope.)

Skywalker

From what I've heard through the grapevine, CBS 58 will not multicast during Wisconsin and Marquette games.  Thus, you will be able to enjoy them in glorious HD.

I should add that there is no guarantee Wiconsin and Marquette's round 1 games will be produced by CBS in HD.  I believe the HD broadcasts for round 1 matchups are still being determined.

murdoc

Quote from: LoadStar;38346Unless I misunderstood the commercial, the multicast will be on Time Warner Cable only, not their broadcast channels, so unless TWC is extremely bandwidth starved, it won't affect the main channel at all. (I hope.)

Quote from: Skywalker;38356From what I've heard through the grapevine, CBS 58 will not multicast during Wisconsin and Marquette games.  Thus, you will be able to enjoy them in glorious HD.

I should add that there is no guarantee Wiconsin and Marquette's round 1 games will be produced by CBS in HD.  I believe the HD broadcasts for round 1 matchups are still being determined.

Well I hope this is right.  I guess we will see on Thursday.

tbest1797

Quote from: Skywalker;38356From what I've heard through the grapevine, CBS 58 will not multicast during Wisconsin and Marquette games.  Thus, you will be able to enjoy them in glorious HD.

We should be okay then since all tournament games are in HD this year.

Tom

LoadStar

Here's the text from the ad:
"March Madness is coming, and CBS58 Digital will multicast the games. And, so you don't miss a minute of the action, we're creating 3 additional digital cable channels, in partnership with Time Warner Cable and Charter Communications. More fast breaks, more slam dunks, more buzzer beaters, more of everything you want to see. The NCAA Tournament begins March 15 on CBS58, and multicast on CBS58 Digital."

The ad prominently displays the cable channels 583, 584, and 585, and never mentions 58.xx.

TAS

The commercial "mentions cbs 58 digital" and every other year they do it over the air in addition to cable.

But that doesn't mean we will see no HD, maybe they will switch for the prime time games and teams of interest for people in Milwaukee.

Skywalker

As someone mentioned earlier and as I saw this morning, CBS is producing all the NCAA Tournament games in HD (this year).  This is fantastic.  IMHO, CBS consistently offers the best picture and sound quality for HD Sports.  

As for CBS 58, they will multicast just like the promo says.  However, my well placed sources have told me that when Wisconsin and Marquette are on, CBS 58 will broadcast the HD stream on 505.

Marquette plays Thursday at 6:20pm
Wisconsin plays Friday at 1:55pm.

This leaves plenty of time throughout those days for multicasting of other games.

We'll find out soon enough.

bubbaridesfast

I guess I'm the odd one as I'd MUCH rather be able to watch any of the games that I want too than be forced to only watch the single crappy match up that I don't want to see while another spectacular game is going into double OT!

Of course a lot of teams I like aren't from the Big Ten which we would be force fed with a single channel only although if like last year that won't matter after the 1st round :D ! This is the only time of year that I ever use my split screen button and without multi-casting I couldn't.

THANK YOU CBS 58! (For this only, don't expect that I love everything else you do/don't do).

klwillis45

Quote from: bubbaridesfast;38387I guess I'm the odd one as I'd MUCH rather be able to watch any of the games that I want too than be forced to only watch the single crappy match up that I don't want to see while another spectacular game is going into double OT!

Of course a lot of teams I like aren't from the Big Ten which we would be force fed with a single channel only although if like last year that won't matter after the 1st round :D ! This is the only time of year that I ever use my split screen button and without multi-casting I couldn't.

THANK YOU CBS 58! (For this only, don't expect that I love everything else you do/don't do).

I with ya on this one.

Mags

Quote from: klwillis45;38389I with ya on this one.

I guess I'm in the minority on this one.  I'd much rather have CBS either:

1.  Broadcast the local game in HD and drop the multicasting (as the local game is blacked out from D* from being in HD, since the local 58 has the rights), or

2.  Release the rights to all games for D*.  That would be the best of both worlds - folks could see their multicast on 58 digital (but get no HD) and the rest of us who choose D* could see all the games in HD (which is the way CBS and God intended it).

That would be great!

Sparkman87

Quote from: LoadStar;38368Here's the text from the ad:
"March Madness is coming, and CBS58 Digital will multicast the games. And, so you don't miss a minute of the action, we're creating 3 additional digital cable channels, in partnership with Time Warner Cable and Charter Communications. More fast breaks, more slam dunks, more buzzer beaters, more of everything you want to see. The NCAA Tournament begins March 15 on CBS58, and multicast on CBS58 Digital."

The ad prominently displays the cable channels 583, 584, and 585, and never mentions 58.xx.

I'm in Il and pick up ch 58 OTA  58.3, 58.4, & 58.5 are out there right now, labeled as NCAA.  This actually works great for me as I know I can see all games, plus still gets the HD game from CBS 2 in Chicago.

Mikey

Games have started.  

On Timewarner channel 5, the game is on in regular old SD.

On Channel 505, there is nothing but a TRIVIA on, looking like a computer screen saver.  No HD game.  Channel 5 stated the game was in HD.   Yet TW 505 has no game on at all.

WTF!?!?

I have called, there is a 60 minute call back time to speak to anyone at TW.

Upon further review, channel 58-1 is showing the same damn thing, so it is a CBS 58 issue.

What the hell is wrong with these people?

Open tourney game and they have nothing airing at all on 58HD?

morons...:bang: