News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC Navigator/Box Updates

Started by Jack 1000, Tuesday Aug 03, 2010, 04:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack 1000

Got a call from TWC. Navigator/box upgrade tonight between 1-5 am. Expected to be about 20 minutes. Sounds like we will be getting MDN 2.5.  My box is the SA-8300HD (no C.)

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

gparris

Yeah, I am all excited...:rof:

Just waiting for my boxes to freeze up, not work at all or worse, have the whole system crash like the last time when it went down and we lost most of our HD channels.:bang:

Maybe we'll get the other 5 HD channels they keep on notifying us of in their wonderful TWC local website, eh?:D

Xizer

Does TWC still not have HDNet or HDNet Movies? That's a deal breaker for me.

Jack 1000

No change,

The box did go through an update process, but everything looks the same.

Jack

Jack 1000

Update Has Come to My Box!

Some Cool features: (This is for MDN model boxes.  I have the SA-8300.)

1.) Show searches begin on selected area of guide or show watched.

2.) Listings are better organized.

3.) DVR Compensation: Adjusts the RR and FF compensation speed of the DVR.

4.) All Showings Prompt: For finding all listings of a future airing of a show.

That is what I have seen-so far.

Jack

gparris

Thanks, Jack 1000, looks my 8300HD did not suffer any problems this morning.

-I will have to review what you discovered later tonight, these are minor upgrades, but anything is better than nothing, if it works as an enhancement.:D

Jack 1000

Ever since we had new cable lines put it, I was getting maybe three months without a reboot on Navigator MDN 2.4.6-19. As of today, maybe about eight hours apart, MDN 2.5.0-49 has rebooted twice. Has anyone else gotten a greater frequency of reboots with the new software?

Jack

Jack 1000

TWC at the national level has begun rolling out a software update for the Navigator ODN (C) and Samsung boxes.  It is designed to fix speed and performance issues in browsing and searching:

Navigator ODN 4.0.24 is designed to be a software update to fix speed issues on the HDC boxes. However, the build is going out to all ODN boxes, so maybe the Samsungs will be even faster. I hope that ODN 4 will also fix the occasional HDMI "Mode Note Supported" and sometimes screen crawler shake when HDMI synchronization does not match, requiring a box reboot. Once these HDC speed issues and HDMI conflicts are resolved, I think we will start seeing more new features. But I think the bug fixes should be first priority.

Jack

flash

At he bottom of my screen I have a blue box that displays 2.5.0-49 on the lower right corner.... then it jumps to the lower right corner.  This started before the Packer game on Sunday night and it is driving me crazy.

Any ideas????

Jack 1000

Possible Navigator Update Coming- I just looked at my statement now: It says:

On or after March 8th we will conduct a system upgrade that will bring you more features including Look Back. This upgrade will cause your system to reboot. Please do not attempt to use the converter at this time. After this occurs, please check your personal settings. Settings such as Parental Control will need to be reset. Tune to channel 411 or visit TWC for helpful tips and instructions.

The thing is, we already have Look Back on some stations, but this sure as hell sounds like something is coming. I will check back and post tomorrow if something changes.

Jack

gparris

Good because channels 1005 and 1012 were awful last night..maybe that what was going on?

Jack 1000

Quote from: gparris;57105Good because channels 1005 and 1012 were awful last night..maybe that what was going on?

Thanks GP!

At least now I know that I am not the only one with that problem!  (You should also respond in my "TWC Please Investigate loss of picture on channels 1005 and 1012.") and report anything that changes for you in that thread.

No news of Navigator Updates in my area yet, but there was a Voicemail that they were working in the Northern areas of Wisconsin on I think they said TV, Phone, and Internet last night.

Check your TWC billing statements and see if there is a Guide Notice Update in the "Look Here" section.  That's where I got this information.  It sounds like they are talking about some new features for the boxes.  What I want most is faster-scrolling and Keyword Search!

Jack

Jack 1000

No update changes to report.  Sorry I can't be of more help!  If your box(es) get updated during the night, or whenever with a software download. (i.e digits counting up and/or down for about 20 minutes to 1 hour where the clock is) post in the thread.  Users should not use the converters or remotes during this time for best results.  Generally the updates happen between 1-5 am.  I also heard that they are done between Monday night going into Tuesday Morning and Thursday Night going into Friday morning, but please don't quote me on that! LOL!

The "On or After March 8" was just what my statement said.

Jack

Jack 1000

New York City just got a Navigator box update for the OCAP boxes.  The version is ODN 4.1.6 and based on approximate timing, we should be seeing this update in about a month.  This update will be applied to all of the C-Model boxes (SA/Cisco) and Samsungs.  New features based on early reports include:

• DVR Compensation
  • 4x Fast-Forwarding
  • Integrated Menus Embed in Channel Banner
  • 3D Channel Options (not sure what this is about)
  • Improved Speed/Navigation
  • Presumed HDMI compatibility fixes.
Reports of no guide filtering on ODN 4.1, or expanded Favorite Channels List. (These features are only in MDN 3.0.)

I think we may be seeing potentially more guide filtering and search options for ODN in the next build. MDN 3.0 (aside from bug fixes) will be the last-update for legacy non-C and non-Samsung boxes. All guide enhancements and feature improvements will run on the newer OCAP (ODN) C-based Samsung/Cisco/Motorolla boxes from this point forward. The reason is because they don't make the legacy boxes anymore.

Which is ironic, because the legacy MDN boxes boxes at or above SA/Cisco 3000 for non-DVR or SA/Cisco above 8000 for DVR, although older, still seem to be faster and more responsive than the new SA/Cisco's running OCAP, The OCAP based Samsungs are pretty fast in most areas, but the 3270 reports of some HDMI issues. (Might have been fixed in ODN 4.1) and I have heard reports of some intermittent issues with VOD. However, the speed and reliability of the ODN platform is getting better with each release.

Jack

ddeerrff

Quote from: Jack 1000;57331I think we may be seeing potentially more guide filtering and search options for ODN in the next build. MDN 3.0 (aside from bug fixes) will

If this is what I think it is, put it first on my list.  I am really sick of seeing something in the guide, selecting it, only to see it is a channel I am not subscribed to.  I want those channels I am not subscribed to out of the listings - frustrating me like it currently does is NOT going to get me to subscribe to something new.