News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

VHF/UHF/FM? antennas

Started by BigBob, Tuesday Sep 21, 2004, 09:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBob

It seems that most TV antennas (including two that I own) are classified as VHF/UHF/FM.  How do you use a standard set of rabbit ears, or rooftop antenna to get an FM signal?  Both antennas have only a coax line out and I've never seen a radio that has a coax in.  Do such radios or adapters exist?

BigBob

Gregg Lengling

Yes there are adaptors and also special splitters that split off just the FM radio portion of the band.  Remember that the FM band is right above Channel 6.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

mhz40

Standard rabbit ears are already twin lead unbalanced and will connect directly to a FM tuner.  Coax feeds need a balun sold at any TV outlet or Radio Shack.

Gregg Lengling

QuoteOriginally posted by mhz40
Standard rabbit ears are already twin lead unbalanced and will connect directly to a FM tuner.  Coax feeds need a balun sold at any TV outlet or Radio Shack.

Actually Twin lead is balanced line, coax is unbalanced line....just thought you would like to know.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Talos4

I split my roof top line to go into my receiver and the Sat Box.

My Onkyo receiver has a 75 ohm input for the FM side.

A simple balun transformer should do the trick to change the coax into twin lead for the hook up.  

Just be gentle with the twin leads. They're usually pretty weak and too much movement of the leads usually causes the wire at the spade connector to break off. then you have to try and put another one back on.

mhz40

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregg Lengling
Actually Twin lead is balanced line, coax is unbalanced line....just thought you would like to know.
My bad.  I knew it, but didn't put it down on virtual paper correctly.