News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

WPCE: JVC previews HDTV camcorder

Started by Gregg Lengling, Friday Oct 18, 2002, 02:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

Victor Co. of Japan Ltd. (JVC) is giving visitors to this week's World PC Expo in Tokyo a chance to see a camcorder due out next year that offers high-definition recording functions.

The camera can record in three video modes: conventional 525-line interlaced, 525-line progressive scan and 750-line progressive scan. JVC is claiming a world first for the 750-line standard in a camcorder aimed at nonprofessional users. The camera records the first of the three formats in DV mode and the other two as MPEG2, all on Mini DV tape.

The 525-line progressive scan standard is recorded at 60 frames per second but because of the greater data required for higher quality images at 750 lines, the camera records those images at 30 frames per second, a JVC representative at the exhibition said. For playback, the camera includes a convertor that produces the 60 frame per second signal that a monitor requires.

To enable the higher quality recording, the camcorder is equipped with a 0.33 inch progressive CCD (charge coupled device), another first according to JVC. The only other feature that JVC would disclose is a high definition zoom lens.

Detailed specifications are due when the camera goes on sale. JVC said it plans to begin sales in Japan by March next year. Company representatives at World PC Expo would not disclose the target price for the camera. They said that it will be aimed at high-end consumer users and would be more expensive than a ¥160,000 (US$1,290) high-end camcorder that was on display next to it.
From idg.net
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

kjnorman

Pictures of the camcorder are at AVS on this link.

The suspected price is thought to be around $3,000 to $4,000.  So it's only for the high end consumer.  Its also only 1/2 HDTV as the 720p is only at 30fps and not 60pfs, but still I would not complain and would love to get my hands on one.

For me its a step in the right direction.  Alas, I don't think I'll be able to afford one, as I now have a baby on its way, due in April (and I already have a good Sony TRV900 for videoing that little blighter!  )

Kerry