News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Quick question on UHF /VHF

Started by budda, Saturday Aug 03, 2013, 07:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

budda

I am shopping for a Antenna to put in the garage rafters. Looking for a good antenna and wanted to know which Milwaukee stations are UHF and which are VHF. Can't seem to find that listed. I am about 30 miles from all towers in Oconomowoc. And am going to have to go thru the roof. It is a new roof and the wife says if I can keep it inside. In the garage better. It will be about 20 feet up in the peak over the doors. any help would be great thanks. :)

Jimboy

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php Scroll down and click on Milwaukee.

These antennas are made in Wisconsin......
Digitenna Extreme Fringe.
http://digitenna.com/

mrschimpf

AntennaWeb.org is a great help where you can plug in up to location and get an idea of what you need and the channels you can get where you can aim it. I also refer alot to RabbitEars.info (direct link there to the Milwaukee market page).

budda

Rabbit ears is great but it does not tell if they are UHF or VHF. The reason this is important is, some of the best Antenna's are UHF only. I thought I read a while ago that two of Milwaukee's HD channels are VHF? Now I don't care if they are.  But I have to know which is, and which is not. Thanks.

Bebop

Channel 10 is the only VHF channel worth watching. All other channels of consequence are UHF. I have no issue with my roof antenna. But I don't have outlet to every room. The only small antenna I have good result with is http://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Leaf-Paper-Thin-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B004QK7HI8. I got it for $23 when it was on sale.  It picked up channel 10 with very little adjustment. I only live about 11 miles from the transmitter not 30.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

budda

Thanks I watch very little if any 10.If it works great but if I get a great deal on a UHF only I will grab it now. Thanks for the info!

Jimboy

Quote from: budda;59549Rabbit ears is great but it does not tell if they are UHF or VHF. The reason this is important is, some of the best Antenna's are UHF only. I thought I read a while ago that two of Milwaukee's HD channels are VHF? Now I don't care if they are.  But I have to know which is, and which is not. Thanks.

A simple web search would reveal the following.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_channel_frequencies

Channels 2-6 = Low VHF - WIWN 68-1 falls into this category using channel 5
Channels 7-13 = High VHF - WMVS 10-1 (PBS) falls into this category using channel 8
Channels 14-51 = UHF - All other stations are in this category

WMVS also has a low power translator using channel 36. Oconomowoc would be a bit of a stretch especially with an attic antenna.

Digitennas are designed for UHF and high VHF

budda

Thanks I like simple. :)

techguy1975

Quote from: Jimboy;59561A simple web search would reveal the following.....

Jimboy,

totally unrelated to this post, but I was just wondering if the move to the new studios have been completed yet

Tivoman44

I know you said you don't watch much of Channel 10, but given the information above about how all but channel 10 is UHF, FYI, channel 36.2 is the same as 10.1 which is of course UHF, so you probably could go with a UHF antenna only.  

I have a random question for you about your garage antenna.  I myself have an attached garage and want to put an antenna that I have (a small one I got from mono price) but have no idea on where to begin in feeding a coax from the garage into my breezeway and to my basement (a really old coax cable is already fed there).  I suppose start with getting a really big drill bit?)

budda

Just use a bit the size of the cable and put a new end on it. Makes it easier to thread and makes a much smaller hole. Of course I have a installer cutter and crimp er.

Nels Harvey

36-2 is the same programming as 10-1, but not in HD.
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

dj1111

I just installed 2 of these antennas recently, one aimed precisely north the other  south.  Solid Signal HDB8X.  They are on the same mast, a 9 foot pole and 4 foot or so tripod.  Mounted only inches apart from each other and using exact same length quadshield cables running to the combiner before the preamp.

I know some people don't like tripods and are paranoid of leaks.  If done right it WILL NOT leak.

I live in Sheboygan and get 43 channels.  Am using an old discontinued Radio Shack amp/preamp and separate RS 4 way distribution amp.  I ordered and tried highly rated new amps and they performed poorly compared to my old RS amps.  I only have issues with 2 weaker channels (11 and 41) otherwise they all come in strong in all weather conditions so far.  Channel 12 is at 100 percent most of the time on my TV with a signal strength meter.  This was all done so I could "cut the cable".

This antenna is primarily UHF but I am getting WMVS Milw very strong.  WLUK Green Bay (the other VHF) can be a challenge during the day.

http://www.palgear.com is another source that tells you what channels are U vs  V.