News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

I am looking at new T.V's input Please.

Started by budda, Friday Mar 29, 2013, 07:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

budda

Have a 60 inch Samsung Plasma. Great TV about a year old going to give it to my son for graduation. So I am looking at a 65 inch either a Samsung or Panasonic. I can't really see a reason to get a LED but I am open to the suggestion in my option the picture really is not as good. Don't need 3D but it's not a negative same with the smart TV aspect. Just not a deal breaker. 65 inch is about as big as I can go in my house and stay married. lol Thanks for any input. Connected to it I have a 7.2 sound system. Mounted on the wall. PS3 and Xbox360. Dish Network. And AV reciver is HDMI connected. Thanks again.

Ralph Kramden

What is your budget? Panasonic or Samsung plasma, depending on your budget?

Nels Harvey

LED TV's are pretty good. I would compare TV's at various stores. View both LCD and Plasma, then make your choice. I would stay with major brands.
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

kevbeck122

I'd say Panasonic plasma.  Their top of the line 2012 model, TC-P65VT50 was going for $2499 recently.. might be less now if they're still selling them.  The new ZT60 series is supposed to be even better, but pricey since it's new.

I bought the 55" version of the model I mentioned above for $1499 a month ago... picture quality is pretty amazing.  Black levels are comparable/better than my old 30" HD CRT.  It has the apps and 3D... no glasses included, but you can buy $20 Samsung glasses if you really want it (or any that are compatible with the RF/Bluetooth 3D standard).

If you want to go lower end on Panasonic, I also read good reviews on their other series, GT50, ST50.  I believe they have the newer GT60 and ST60 series out now too, or will be soon.

budda

I can spend what I want. Would like to stay in the 2500 range. But again if I am blown away by something that won't matter. Because I am not a 3D person, that and the Smart TV features just add cost to the set. Problem is you only get the newest processors and quality with the higher priced sets. Panasonic I like because they started the Plasma sets. That does not mean others are not good, just means they know there ****. Samsung sets have also been good to me. LED's are great but there again it's the in thing and from my side there is no benefit. Not energy, not picture, not design. If you do any gaming and are good at it, the LED has a lag. And can cause problems. The is caused by the processing in trying to get the same picture as a Plasma it takes a little more time. You will not see the with movies or TV's but you will with games. Yes I know there is a lag adjustment but that never works out for me. The ZT65 2013 seems to be the front runner. That set looks beautiful.

Ralph Kramden

I agree about the LED TV's. They are inferior to plasmas in just about every way.

budda

Power consumption is a factor for some. but it really is not a big difference. My 60 inch gets warm, very warm. Near the thermostat saves on gas bill. lol
Also there is on my unit and a few I have checked on, a buzz that comes from the TV. If I turn on the sound last I can here it other wise no. Also I have wireless headphones those do not work well with a Plasma there is interference coming from the TV. But those things I noticed are pretty minor and the only reason I found those is cuz of research and I am picky. :)Thanks

Ralph Kramden

How about a front projector? Or is this for a family room situation?

budda

Not a projector fan , too dim, room has too much light. Never saw one that wowed me.

Matt Heebner

I will have to agree with the Panasonic TC-P65VT50 suggestion. You simply will not find a better TV dollar for dollar IMHO.

budda

it's funny before I was going to buy one I would say that's the one I will get someday. Not that I am ready, it's like my wife looking at paint samples too many choices. What I want, what I need. Will I get get features I will never use, but maybe would like? Reading a lot today. On the TC-P65VT50. That one looks like the cats behind. A little high end, No 3D glasses. Big money. seems the 3D and web browser add a lot of cost at no real benefit to me. But that one and the Samsung PN64F8500AF , are the leaders. I will take a break from it. check these out in store's for a while. Do some more digging see what happens . Thanks for reply's. :)

gparris

I have a Samsung PN60E550 that has a great picture, cost me $1200 and includes 3D glasses, though I doubt these will be used much as my AVR is not 3D compatible and I would need the passthru to get the DTS Master Audio to get to my speakers or arrange a more elaborate setup. There is another 64" version, the PN64E550 for $2000 vs the Panasonic 65 incher that costs plenty more, but its actual 64-3/4 inch size does not seem to make it really much bigger for the savings on the Samsung, just my thoughts here. Best Buy has a $1500 model TC-P65S60 that just came in on its site, but I don't have any details on it, FYI.:blush:

budda

gparris

Quote from: budda;59273Another good choice!

You're welcome!

budda

Have done a lot of reading. Tons of reviews. Panasonic and Samsung are the last two and I think I will go with the Samsung. Found a price of 2199.99 at BB for the PN64E7000FFXZ. Diff between the 8000 and 7000 is the motion sensor and one other thing I think I will never use maybe it was Skype. Things are getting blurry now lol. Just have to have a talk with the queen B. Then off to the store. On the web site this price only shows up in cart.. Maybe even gets cheaper on Sunday. ;). Thanks again for everybody's help. Peace out.