News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

No audio with Samsung RR HD Box?

Started by budda, Friday Nov 23, 2012, 05:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

budda

Have a friend who has RR. He uses a RR Samsung box no DVR. Has only a optical out on it. I ran the cable checked settings on his stereo unit and the cable box has anybody have any insight or is this a known issue. He will call for service he just wants to make sure it is not on his end. Has HDMI running to TV. Optical to stereo receiver.. Thanks

Snard

Quote from: budda;58992Have a friend who has RR. He uses a RR Samsung box no DVR. Has only a optical out on it. I ran the cable checked settings on his stereo unit and the cable box has anybody have any insight or is this a known issue. He will call for service he just wants to make sure it is not on his end. Has HDMI running to TV. Optical to stereo receiver.. Thanks

I don't have one of these, but here is something he should check. In the setup menus, there are options to pick what type of digital audio you are using: HDMI versus SPDIF/optical. There are also options for how the data is encoded (i.e. PCM, I forget the other choices). In the past when I was using the optical out, I had to mess around with these settings to get digital audio working. Today I am using HDMI exclusively (my receiver has HDMI in & out and handles the switching to my TV).

Good luck!
- Mike Shawaluk

Samsung UN46D6000
Philips 40PFL4706/F7B

Now with Windows Media Center and HDHomeRun Prime!

budda

Ya I checked those settings, when the HDMI cable is plugged in the other choices are not selectable. I to have a HDMI receiver that is the way to go but he is not going to buy new stuff. At least not now. I have a Dish receiver, it allows multiple audio outputs at one time, seems TW does not?

brewtownska

Just curious, have you tried rebooting the box WITHOUT the HDMI but WITH the optical?  Just to help prove it is an either/or scenario.  You are probably right...they may not both work at the same time.  But at least if you can get it working with just the digital out, you'll satisfy that curiosity.  Otherwise you still have the question of whether it's a setting that is wrong keeping it from working.

Other option/question.  Does the  TV have an audio out?  You may be able to just send the audio back out of the TV to the stereo to the get the same result as if you sent both out from the cable box.
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii