News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

MPTV in 5.1?

Started by 80sAirwaves, Monday Dec 20, 2004, 03:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

80sAirwaves

My new OTA receiver will be arriving today, but after reading some of the threads here I have to wonder about the quality of the local PBS channels.  Soundstage is one of my favorite programs and probably had more influence on my migration to HD than any other show.  What does everyone think of the quality of local PBS affiliates?  Their SD channels almost always look better than any others.

Thanks!

-Patrick

StarvingForHDTV

MPTV does own DD 5.1 equipment, but it is never used.  I know, it makes no sense.  :bang:

80sAirwaves

Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:21:11 -0600

"Karen Copper" _

To:
pjc53147@yahoo.cm

CC:
"David Felland"

Subject:
Re: HDTV - 5.1 Sound

Hi, Patrick!

Thanks for writing with your excellent and kind question,
which I am cc'ing to our head engineer for an answer.

--Karen

>>> PJC 12/21/04 01:56PM >>>
Ms. Cooper,

Recently my wife and I invested thousands of dollars
into a new HDTV monitor and over-the-air receiver for
our home in Elkhorn.  We had always marveled at how
much better WMVS looks, even under standard
definition, compared to the other Milwaukee stations.
We knew we had to get HDTV just to enjoy the PBS
programming to its full extent.  Plus, being a
lifelong music fan, Austin City Limits and Soundstage
have been my two favorite shows for some time.

You can imagine my disappointment when I read on the
MilwaukeeHDTV.com website that MPTV does not broadcast
their HD signals in full 5.1 surround sound:
http://www.milwaukeehdtv.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4488

Given the visual quality of your programming, I had
presumed that your sound quality would be top notch as
well, but others are claiming that is not the case.
Can you tell me if and when MPTV expects to begin the
full 5.1 broadcasts of these great HD concerts?  I see
the Pixies are coming up on ACL in January and I would
hope to be able to enjoy them in their full 5.1 glory.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Have a great holiday season.

Patrick

=====

tazman

I take it that you have not gotten a response back from WMVS yet, as to when they will pass through the 5.1 audio.  I always wondered why the sound was so much better when I would switch to getting the PBS-HD feed during SoundStage directly from the satellite.  I didn't know or I should say didn't bother to check that WMVS wasn't passing through the 5.1 audio.  Now I know.:)   Also when getting the feed direct I don't have the MPTV-HD bug in the lower right corner.:D

80sAirwaves

QuoteOriginally posted by tazman
I take it that you have not gotten a response back from WMVS yet, as to when they will pass through the 5.1 audio.

The email I posted above came just last night, a day or two after my initial email (also included).  Given the holidays, I would hope for an answer next week about a time frame for 5.1 from MVS.

-pjc

Tom Snyder

Karen is usually pretty good abot getting back. At least she has been to me...
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

JohnRacine

I'm another PBS viewer who receives the signal direct from satellite.  On Dec 23rd, while 36-1 was running "Outdoor WI", I watched the Chris Isaak "Christmas Soundstage" special in 5.1 HD.  It was terrific.  The audio was crisp and had only an occasional pop - hardly noticeable).  And, like Tazman, getting rid of that horrible MPTV logo is a real treat.  I rarely watch 36-1 anymore since I just can't handle the logo.  The satellite feed sometimes has one and sometimes not.  The Chris Isaac show had a very small, virtually unnoticeable "N" in the upper right hand corner.  But, it was only a shadow and you had to look to find it.  So, if you PBS viewers can get the satellite feed, you're in for a better presentation than watching on 36-1.

tazman

You will have to admit though, that not having the 5.1 is only minor compared to what we have been putting up with from the commercial broadcasters.  Milwaukee public TV has been in the fore-front long before any of the others in Milwaukee.  They still offer more to us than any commercial network avialable  OTA.;)

StarvingForHDTV

The odd part is that they own the equipment, but they don't use it.

I'm guessing the same person who made the "3 hour delay" decision is behind the decision to buy 5.1 equipment but not use it.  I remember once, way back when the HD feed was on 10-1, they passed along a 5.1 audio feed.  It must have been a mistake on their end......

I am thankful that MPTV exists.  I have seen some wonderful programming over the years on their stations.

wxndave

MPTV does have the equipment and is in the process of installing it.  The problem is how to install it so it will work for both local and network feeds.  I know the people involved and they have wanted to get this going for some time.  they just keep running into brick walls.

Dave

techboy

I too find that Sound Stage is one of my favorite PBS programs.  So, far, no 5.1 DD on ch.35 though.  I often record the shows and burn them to WM9HD DVD's.  It took me 3 months to finally figure out how to combine Dolby Ac3 5.1 with WM9.  Microsoft doesn't believe in Dolby and so thier encoder doesn't directly support it.  But it can be done.  So, I'm ready and waiting for MPTV to buy a Dolby encoder.  BTW  You can record/play WM9HD on any fast computer.  The software is free on Microsoft's web site.  It will probably be bundled with the next MS operating system and is already part of thier home media computer software group.
Retired Broadcast TV / Radio Engineer WTMJ. ( 35 Yrs )

AndrewP

Sound Stage is in DD 5.1 on Voom Rave HD.

Andrew

techboy

Thanks Andrew.  I only watch OTA.  I worked in free broadcast TV too long.  So now I am quite emotionally unable to pay $ for what I watch on TV.   Actually I do contribute to mptv.  But God meant for TV to be free.  Public air waves and all that stuff.  Remember when we used to call that other stuff "Pay TV"?  Whomever buried that term form the public lexicon deserves a hugh bonus.  And where are we now?  250 plus pay channels and the best stuff is still free on PBS.
Retired Broadcast TV / Radio Engineer WTMJ. ( 35 Yrs )

JohnRacine

techboy

Just in case you didn't know, PBS HD is free and unscrambled on satellite - T5, 603

80sAirwaves

This just arrived via email this afternoon.  Seems they are making progress, but unwilling to commit to a date for deployment of the 5.1 equipment:

From Ms. Cooper:

Hi, Patrick!

The below is the answer from our engineering dept., relating to your question on Dolby sound. I am happy to report that work is continuing on the implementation. New technology often takes making numerous preliminary steps to work, within many areas, before it can be released to good effect, which is always our goal.

--Karen

***From Engineering:

The installation of the equipment necessary to transmit Dolby 5.1 audio on Channel 36-1 is in progress.

There have been additional issues which have come to light regarding the implementation of the new equipment and we are in communication with Dolby and PBS regarding the resolution of these issues.

No on-air date is safe to assign at this point.

This is definitely not a "plug in and go" situation. We are working towards getting Dolby 5.1 on the air as soon as possible.