News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Journal Sentinel TV Cue will be 25¢ per week

Started by ArgMeMatey, Saturday Dec 05, 2009, 07:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArgMeMatey

I'm not sure if this still qualifies as news among this group, but I noticed on the back of this week's TV Cue that the Journal Sentinel is making TV Cue an extra-cost a la carte option.  I didn't do an exhaustive search but I hadn't seen this mentioned anywhere.  

"The new and improved TV Cue will be will be provided free of charge to current TV Cue subscribers for the remainder of 2009.  Beginning January 3, 2010, you can continue to receive TVCue for just an additional 25¢ per week."

I guess they'll get a useful statistic, at least:  The percentage of current takers who are willing to pay extra for it.

troyriley

I use the TV Cue quite a bit, but I'm not sure I'm going to pay an extra quarter for it starting in 2010. I can get better TV listings for free online. I may sound cheap, but that extra quarter a week adds up to $13 a year. That's a good meal somewhere.

Also, I'm a little irked that they promised "daily Milwaukee-area digital sub-channel listings" in their new TV Cue. The one I received with my paper yesterday had all the other features (8 extra pages), but no sub-channel listings.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: troyriley;54166...
Also, I'm a little irked that they promised "daily Milwaukee-area digital sub-channel listings" in their new TV Cue. The one I received with my paper yesterday had all the other features (8 extra pages), but no sub-channel listings.

Does your listing look like this?  If so, are you looking for listings for 4.2, 4.3, 36.5, .6,.7, .8?  It looks to me like they've covered the rest.  

troyriley

That's exactly how I wished/expected it to look in my new TV Cue. Instead, it shows a bunch of Chicago channels I don't watch and that most people don't even receive. It is the Racine edition of the TV Cue, but I think it's safe to say local sub-channel listings are much more useful than out-of-market channel listings. The only sub-channel listing I get is a channel in a language I don't understand (49.4). I'll contact the Journal-Sentinel and see if I get a response.

ArgMeMatey

I see what you mean.  I suppose Racine, or at least Kenosha Time Warner offers Chicago stations, and that is the market they are trying to serve.  But I would definitely contact them anyway.  Years ago I had a TV Guide subscription and received a metro edition,  but all I had to do was call them to get it switched to an outstate edition.  I doubt the JS has the same level of control but let them know you're there and maybe they will change their distribution.

troyriley

I contacted them, and no response yet (24 hours later). I doubt I'll get one.

Having Chicago stations in the listings is really pointless. An example is the Vikings/Cardinals game. If it's on NBC in Chicago, it's going to be on NBC on our local Milwaukee NBC affiliate as well. I suppose the schedule does vary at other times of the day. Most people would rather know what's on the sub-channels.

People in Kenosha, Racine, and Walworth counties, where we receive the Racine edition of the TV Cue, rely on Milwaukee stations for news, sports, weather, etc. That's kind of what I tried to get them to realize in my e-mail to the Journal-Sentinel.

For those of you living to the West... does your TV Cue list sub-channels or Madison stations? For those of you to the north... sub-channels or Green Bay stations?

duncantuna

I wish they'd make the weekday Cue section (not just TV) an optional feature.

The first thing I do with my daily paper delivery is toss the Cue section and the classifieds within.  

Amazingly, they make it very convenient, with Section A bounding Local, Sports, and Business .. then Cue binds the Classifies and other crap.  

Hello, recycling bin.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: duncantuna;54209I wish they'd make the weekday Cue section (not just TV) an optional feature.

Years ago I commented that I needed a neighbor who cared only about sports, because when I get my paper the sports goes straight to recycling.  

If we could get enough of us together to form an exchange, we could probably hasten the JS's demise by a few days.  :)

beeper

The JS is pulling quite a scam.

They advertise "New & Improved TVCUE".
All they are doing is giving us back what they previously took away from the TVCUE.

When they recently took away the sports & movie listings, they didn't lower the subscription price.
Now they give us back what they took away and raise the Sunday only subscription cost by 12.5%

Now that JS is a la cart, I wonder how much less the subscription would be if I no longer want the Sports, Entree, House Home, Travel, and Comics sections.

All those sections go unread into the bird cage and then into a land fill.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: beeper;54306All those sections go unread into the bird cage and then into a land fill.

Hah!  Yes!  :) I had to mention that it's no good for my bird cage anymore; we need the larger obsolete broad sheet that the NY Times used until a few years ago and the JS quit using when they moved to the new plant.  

When I ran through my neighbor's stack of old ones, I put an ad on Craig's list and some guy in Riverwest was nice enough to give me a pile.  I'm screwed when that runs out.

ArgMeMatey

Today I got a postcard from TV Cue saying that the "Daily & Sunday monthly rate will change to $20.47 per month.  If you discontinue the TV Cue delivery your rate will stay the same."  

Does this mean they decided to not charge a premium, or that I would have to cancel and then re-subscribe to get a 25-cent per week discount?

PatM

Quote from: beeper;54306The JS is pulling quite a scam.

They advertise "New & Improved TVCUE".
All they are doing is giving us back what they previously took away from the TVCUE.

When they recently took away the sports & movie listings, they didn't lower the subscription price.
Now they give us back what they took away and raise the Sunday only subscription cost by 12.5%

Now that JS is a la cart, I wonder how much less the subscription would be if I no longer want the Sports, Entree, House Home, Travel, and Comics sections.

All those sections go unread into the bird cage and then into a land fill.

Pretty soon there won't even be enough to use in the bird cage.
The paper is getting smaller and smaller.
One day the first section consisted of 2 sheets of paper.