News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

ESPN-HD and ESPN2-HD "free" on TWC?

Started by yaderhey, Wednesday May 16, 2007, 05:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yaderhey

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked and answered, but recently I started receiving channels 528 and 530.  But I didn't ask for the upgrade to that package that includes (or once included) ESPN-HD and all those lame inHD channels.

I know that ESPN2-HD is new. But am I getting something for free (that I deserve), did TWC make a mistake, or should I expect my cable bill to mysteriously go up a few bucks?

If anyone could shed some light on what's going on, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

--Andy in Milwaukee

kevbeck122

I'm pretty sure they're still part of the HD package.  You probably won't get charged... sometimes they screw up for a little while and give you channels you aren't supposed to have.

hormy_83

I am also getting those channels.  I used to have the package that had inHD and stuff but I canceled before they announced they would be adding ESPN2.  But when I checked after they added it I get both ESPN and ESPN2 now and I'm not paying for it :)

gparris

If you go to the TWC webpage, go to the spot on the front where the "Programming"
 is listed (next to "Customer Service"), then click on that so that a "dropdown" occurs .
You will find a "Channel Notifications" and click on this and get:

"ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD are now offered on Digital Access Package."

So you get NBCHD, ABCHD,CBSHD, FOXHD, PBSHD, Discovery HD Theater, TNTHD and now...ESPNHD and ESPN2HD for a total of NINE full-time subscription HD channels with Digital Access (or DigiPic package) with a HD cable box.

Additionally, you get that channel 500 PPVHD, channel 531 (almost never on) channel access, too (since TWC here likes to count them in also).

Maybe this helps you folks out.:D

yaderhey

Thanks for the clarification.

Maybe I should feel lucky for not having to pay for ESPN and ESPN2 twice ... but for some reason, I don't.

kevbeck122

So now those who have the HD package are paying $7 for only 3 channels?? :rolleyes:
I guess it's time to get rid of it..

gparris

Quote from: kevbeck122;39448So now those who have the HD package are paying $7 for only 3 channels?? :rolleyes:
I guess it's time to get rid of it..

The HD package so listed on the TWC webpages is in error on the DigiPic page
and the HDTV pages, so it is misleading to those wanting to know the correct information.
Even the channel dropdowns that list the channels in our area misleadingly show UHD as a standard offering, not in the package with ESPN2HD as an "other" rather than an HD channel...kinda bad on TWC's part ...and misleading.

So for $6.95 a month, TWC locally only offers only FOUR HD channels in their "HD package":
Universal HD, MOJOHD (formerly INHD1), HDNET and HDNET Movies.

IF you want to MAXIMIZE what little our TWC location in Milwaukee offers for HD channels, keep it.

Other information (TWC here won't tell you):

-A&EHD and MHD (MTV,CMT,etc. in HD) are offered as standard HD channels in the digital packages at other TWC locations (not ours) with no HD package required.

-StarzHD and CinemaxHD are free if you have the premium movie packages already and you live somewhere ELSE than Milwaukee with a TWC subscription.

It's possible that somewhere in "TWC-land" more HD channels will be added to this package, but that's in the future, not now.

I can see how last year we actually had SIX HD channels in this package and now, only four.
(INHD1, INHD2, UHD, HDNET, HDNET Movies and ESPNHD).

IMHO, the possiblility of TWC Milwaukee adding anything for more HD channels this year since we finally got ESPN2HD is slim, given TWC Milwaukee's past record.:rolleyes:

qawsed

So does this mean that ESPN-HD and ESPN2-HD are available using only a QAM tuner and no cable box?

LoadStar

Quote from: qawsed;39461So does this mean that ESPN-HD and ESPN2-HD are available using only a QAM tuner and no cable box?
No, because as other posters have said, the channels require the use of an addressable cable box, indicating that the channels are being used as Switched Digital Video "guinea pigs."

gparris

Maybe this will finally clarify what is going on with TWC regarding your questions:
http://www.multichannel.com/index.asp?layout=articlePrint&articleID=CA6446179
Here TWC states that both ESPNHD and ESPN2HD are included in digital access
(for least-expensive HD-channel access) and the balance of the HD package (4 HD channels) are in that now-overpriced package, currently $6.95/month.
But if you really, really, want to MAXIMIZE your HD channel access from TWC, keep the package, as you never KNOW when TWC in Milwaukee will actually ADD to the package.:rolleyes:
While we're at it, just WHERE are those TWC locations with the 17-27 full time HD channels, anyway?:confused:

kevbeck122

Quote from: qawsed;39461So does this mean that ESPN-HD and ESPN2-HD are available using only a QAM tuner and no cable box?

All they'll give you free over QAM is the locals in HD.  I doubt they'll put anything else in the clear ever, except for maybe channels 2-99.  ESPN2 and a few SD channels are switched digital, requiring a box for sure.

RLJSlick

Man I just wrote TWC a fairly nasty letter, asking them what the hell is going on, and why are they ripping people off on their HD Package. This is really becoming almost silly dealing with TWC on this issue.  I also asked them to change their web site, so it doesn't seem so misleading on what you truly get from the HD package list. I know it won't help, but I sure feel a lot better. :)
Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

syrett4

Trying to cancel now.  I have been transferred twice.  I called the local Milw number and the guy xfered me to Green Bay.  The Green Bay guys aid I had to call Milw.  Now I just left them my number.  Sheesh.

RLJSlick

Ricky
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD

RLJSlick

This is the responds I got back from TWC about the ESPN HD programming:

ESPN HD & ESPN2 HD are not free, they were moved out of the HD Package and bundled into the Digital Access Package.

Technology is constantly evolving and the bandwidth necessary for transmission of HD programming is being expanded and improved upon by Time Warner Cable. We have not announced an advertising campaign promising hundreds of HD channels because those customers would expect the channels to be made available immediately.

The fact of the matter is that no matter what provider you choose to receive your HD programming from, there is only a small amount of HD programming available. This will increase as time goes on and filming is eventually converted to HD exclusively, but this will take quite some time.

In regards to Direct TV's recent advertising campaign stating they will have 150 HD channels... "Number of channels subject to available HD programming". This disclaimer is quoted directly from Direct TV's website in regards to how many channels will actually be available.

I have also included a comparison list showing the channels available from Time Warner Cable & Direct TV. You can see that we are very competitive in the HD channels currently available. In additon, whereas you will receive Network (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) programming in HD, you will not receive your local affiliates of those Networks in HD.

TIME WARNER
Discovery HD Theater
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
HBO HD
HDNet
HDNet Movies
Showtime HD
TNT HD
Universal HD
WFRV+ (CBS)
WBAY (ABC)
WGBA (NBC)
WPNE--HD PBS
Fox Sports HD
INHD
15 Channels

DIRECT TV
Discovery HD Theater
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
HBO HD
HDNet
HDNet Movies
Showtime HD
Starz HD
TNT HD
Universal HD
CBS HDTV (WCBS-East) HD
CBS HDTV (KCBS-West) HD
ABC HDTV (WABC-East) HD
ABC HDTV (KABC-West) HD
FOX HD (WYNW-East) HD
FOX HD (KTTV-West) HD
NBC HDTV (WNBC-East) HD
NBC HDTV (KNBC-West) HD
The 101
19 Channels

More HD programming will become available but it will take time and rest assured, Time Warner Cable will be there to provide it for you.

If we can answer any additional questions or account concerns, please feel free to respond to this email below. You will notice that your email has been assigned an incident number as to remain in constant contact with me until you feel your questions and concerns have been answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you in the future with any questions or account concerns, please feel free to visit us online at http://www.timewarnercable.com/milwaukee or email us at timewarnerwi@custhelp.com.

Thank you for using Time Warner Cable!
Ricky
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD