News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DirecTV Adding Milwaukee HD in April

Started by Youth Minister, Wednesday Feb 22, 2006, 03:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vegasvic

I currently have 3 H10's.  So if I'm reading this right and want to replace all 3 with H20's I would only get a rebate on one of them?  Plus I have to buy a new dish and have it installed?  How much will the dish cost and where do I get it from?  

I receive all the local HD's fine OTA, maybe I should just leave well enough alone.

sp44again

I highly doubt you will have to actually "buy" a new dish.

vegasvic

I hope not.  I know dishes are usually thrown in.  

And I assume that SD receivers won't have to be changed.  Besides the 3 HD receivers I have 2 SD receivers (one a Tivo).  

It's probably best to just wait it out and see what happens.   :cool:

FeedingFrenzy

Quote from: Tom SnyderBut we're building in Jackson, and I haven't heard anything real good about Charter Cable. .
My buddy works for Time Warner don't quote me on this but I think they are in the process of taking over Charter in that area.

Highly unlikley you would buy the dish but most certainly you would have to commit to two years of service.

smack

Any word on the roll out yet?  Has anyone in our area received the new dish with mpeg4 yet?

Skywalker

I talked to a rep at DirecTV last week.  I was told that you do not buy the new dish.  It will be delivered to your door (and installed for you if need be) for a $15 handling charge.  Of course, you will need the new dish to view local HD channels which, I was told, will be available in Milwaukee starting sometime this May.  They weren't able to give me a concrete "activation" date.

Chinatown

Quote from: sp44again2nd dish? Better not need a 2nd dish! I'm just going to wait til the new HD DVR comes out. I'm not buying/leasing an H20 just to use MPEG4.

Will the new reciever have that feature. If so, I'm on-board

gparris

So if my brother in Milwaukee (Timmerman airport)wants an HD box from Directv as an upgrade.

Question 1: So who does he call and what does he get for a box /pay for/installed?

He has been a Directv customer for many years and is buying an HDTV set soon.

Question 2: Will the new AT9 get installed free with the new HD box through Directv directly?

Question3: Those new 4 new HD local channels will, I assume, just appear on his box in, what, May (?)since he already pays for the locals in SD?

Question 4: Does Directv also install an OTA antenna for now, additonally, too?

He won't move to HD cable and that is his choice, but if I don't get some clear answers, I may have to push him over to "the other side" on at least a trial basis at my expense since he already has digital phone and Road Runner service.
ALL he gets is a run around from Directv when he attempts calling them. :(

the_heller

Hopefully they'll have any issues resolved by the time they have an HD DVR machine. Not holding my breath ... hopefully soon. Would be nice to have the locals in HD. I haven't found it worth it yet to pony up the $ for HD other than the HBO I already get.

bradsmainsite

Did some work last week by a guy in sheboygan who received the new dish.
It is about the size of a superdish and lots of adjustments to make(5 lnb's no kidding).

He had to make a 2 year commitment and I think he paid a couple hundred dollars
also.  He told me also that he received a lot of run around from CSR's who do not
know what they are talking about(they will tell you what you want to hear to keep
you from switching.  Dish also does this) best to find a local guy who is a Directv retailer to get the real scoop!  After talking to him about Dish he will probably switch to OTA and Dish if he doesn't have it in a few weeks and if he can get out of his contract with D* :mad:

Suggestions:

1:  If he really has to have HD now put up a small OTA antenna for locals and wait
till D* gets their act together!

2:  If he doesn't care about NFL ticket switch to E* they are on top right now with HD and the locals to come this summer, or late spring.

3:  Have him switch to TWC for now while this whole thing plays out at least if he is off for 6 months or more they will (D*) give him just about anything he wants to come back ;)

gparris

bradsmainsite:
Thanks for the info...we will still try to get him the new dish and box.
Barring that, the HDTV will have a built in ATSC digital tuner for the local 7 HD stations. :D
Right now it is confusing with either satellite system for the newbies.
Cable, love it or hate it, requires less to switch (just a box exchange) to get HD programming right now. :(

bradsmainsite

No questions TWC is the easiest to get HD, but it doesn't give you much for the money.

You just need to find the right local retailer that is truely a tech and knows what is going on and with all the ads and commercials with a million 1-800 go NOWHERE
numbers it is very difficult these days.

The industry itself is very confussed at times which makes it even worse! :bang:

Good luck and contact me by this site if you have more questions and I will give you my 800 number to call.

Brad

denno

sp44again

Just a guess but since they just rolled out a bunch including Minneapolis I bet we don't get them til June.

Milwaukee12

Rumors are (from SatGuys) that it could come next month (May).