News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

WISN: Where is GMA in HD?

Started by AndrewP, Friday Dec 09, 2005, 11:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewP

This morning turned on TV and checked if GMA is in HD on WISN. It is not.
 :OnAir: Switched to WLS (Chicago ABC) and IT IS IN HD.
So, what is happening on ch. 12? There is nobody there to flip the switch in the morning? :(

Sparkman87

Quote from: AndrewPThis morning turned on TV and checked if GMA is in HD on WISN. It is not.
 :OnAir: Switched to WLS (Chicago ABC) and IT IS IN HD.
So, what is happening on ch. 12? There is nobody there to flip the switch in the morning? :(

I think it is only widescreen on WLS, not in HD.  I believe that GMA announced that it would only be in HD on the Eastern & Pacific feeds.  Central & Mountain are in SD.  It will supposedly switch to all HD in the spring.

*ADDED*  Some people on AVS are reporting this week that WLS has been showing GMA in HD.  Seems some stations inthe Central & Mountain Zones are recrding the HD East Coast version to show at their normal time.

Here's the article I saw:

"GMA" HD Rollout to Have 2 Phases
Central, Mountain Zones Delayed

By Michele Greppi TVWeek.com October 24, 2005

ABC's "Good Morning America" will be good to go in high-definition format Nov. 3 -except in the Central and Mountain time zones.

ABC News, which announced in May that "GMA" would be the first news program to be regularly broadcast in hi-def, does not expect to have the technical ability to do separate HD feeds of "GMA" in those areas until February.

The network mentioned last May during the ABC affiliates convention that the rollout would take place in two parts, but in its announcement and subsequent public comments did not note that some 38.6 million TV homes (35 percent of U.S. TV universe) would be unable to wake up to "GMA" in HD until next year.

Dennis O'Brien, "GMA's" senior producer for special events and the morning show's editorial staffer managing the conversion, said on-air promotion of the format switch, following the pattern of entertainment and sports programming already being offered in HD, will say "GMA" is now in hi-def "where available."

The HD "GMA" will be an option on the eight ABC-owned stations located in the Eastern and Pacific time zones. Only two of ABC's 10 O&Os are in the Central time zone: Chicago's WLS-TV and Houston's KTRK-TV.

As the hard-charging No. 2 morning show, "GMA" is determined to get every promotable edge it can over NBC's increasingly vulnerable "Today" show, and Mr. O'Brien freely admitted that some of the rush to go hi-def before "GMA" could cover all time zones was so HD availability could be touted in the hoopla surrounding "GMA's" high-profile 30th anniversary celebration in November.

"That's just a huge deal for us," Mr. O'Brien said. The hi-def element "is small but we know it's going to grow. It's the future. That's what we're about."

AndrewP

Believe me, it was in HD today.  :wave:

Joseph S

Yeah, it's sort of like how WISN isn't going to be recording Grey's Anatomy either when they pre-empt the show this week to bring us the dreaded Lions. The quality of the equipment at WISN is below par and to expect them to be able to be able to timeshift like the rest of us have been doing since 2002 is somehow a problem. Many others in Indiana and Illinois have no problem purchasing equipment they'll need for years to come. I mean, they're only missing a minimum of 33% of ABC's HD programming each week as is. What are we to be concerned about?  :bang:

Mark Strube

Gee whiz... I timeshift in HD at home all the time. :rofl:

Audio Gnut

Time shifting on a pc is much easier than at a TV station.

If you want to loan any of the stations $500,000 needed for the equipment to time shift a program, I'm sure they would gladly take it from ya.

Mark Strube

Not only time shifting on a PC... time shifting on a DVR from the cable company for $7 extra a month. :D

I realize the equipment costs and needs but they're just that - needs. It's kind of pathetic when you can do more than your local television station in your house... on 2 different pieces of equipment in my case.

Joseph S

QuoteIf you want to loan any of the stations $500,000 needed for the equipment to time shift a program, I'm sure they would gladly take it from ya.

There are multiple solutions to this problem, although a station that planned for the future would have invested in solid hardware from the start. WISN doesn't give a crap and that's why they came on after the deadline, have the worst switching history, worst "upconvert," and worst syncing of HD/SD audio in the market. Other stations have had a solution in place for years within the Central and Mountain time zones. Others made plans with the announcement of GMA. WISN has not even made an effort. Even tonight they could have saved us from finding alternative sources, but they won't even use the West Coast feed to solve the issue. Poor planning and poor management, that is the Wiz.