News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

CBS on 1-1? Samsung channels start at 2?

Started by AJA, Sunday Sep 19, 2004, 10:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJA

Help!
I am new to this whole HD thing and I am testing and attempting to prove to the wife that HD is awesome and the way to go.

I am borrowing a Samsung SIR-T351 HD Set Top from Best Buy (don't tell them they think I will keep it).  Box is connected to a Terk TV44 OTA antenna on my DirecTV Dish.  According to the Samsung manual it only receives channels VHF 2-13 & UHF 14-69.  If CBS HD is only on 1-1 How Can I Get It?  HELP!

in Caledonia
Also I get OTA with great reception:
NO CBS?
4-1 NBC HD
NO FOX?
9-1 WGN HD(Chicago)
9-2 WGN SD(Chicago)
10-1 - 10-7 MPTV
12-1 ABC HD
22-1 WVCV SD
24-1 WCGV SD
36-1 MPTV HD
55-1WPXE HD

SONY KF-42WE610 HDTV
Samsung SIR-T351 HD Set Top Box
Sony SAT-A55 DirecTV Reciever
Denon AVR-2800

Go Pack!
Andy in Racine Co.

Sparkman87

I have the Samsung T161 and it gets 1-1.  Here, it is WCIU on 1-1, it is broadcast on Digital channel 27 and is redirected to 1-1 by Weigel.   Look at whatever channel CBD 58 uses for digital, if you can get it the box will show 1-1. Also, if you can turn your antenna to Chicago you may be able to get FOX on DT33.

AJA

Sorry to see the BIG C Logo.  Good Luck today you will need it.

Odd that your T161 gets 1-1, can you check your manual and see what it say for Band Coverage.

How do you enter in a channel with a hyphen?

I don't think I will get Chicago Stations but I will try, thanks.

Riktar

My Samsung SIR-T165 maps 58 to 1-1 as well. As to adding the "extra" number, forget it. Their is no way I could do it on my Sammy T150 either.

AJA

Is this a Samsung low model feature lack?  If I would upgrade to a different model would it map correctly?

Thanks for the info - GO PACK!

Sparkman87

You said you're already getting WGN, WFLD is as strong as WGN, I'm only 8 miles south of the border, I get WFLD with an 88% signal strength.

Run your scan, when signals are picked up, its will assign the subchannels.  If there are no subchannels, it comes up as -1.

We're still hanging in there, neither defense looks worth a crap.

AJA

Because my antenna is attached to my dish I can only slide it around the dish for better reception.  At the position where I get WGN I do not get any other Chicago channels after doing a NEW scan?

If I can get CBS w/ CSI in HD I think the wife will go for it and then I will upgrade the T351 with a T360 DirecTV HD Tuner or the Hughes HTLHD DirecTV Tuner for the same price.

Nice TD, Favre needs to go to the air and mix it up a bit.

davezen2

AJA,

try tuning to channel 46, and the reciever should re-map to 1-1

Sparkman87

I stand corrected, our defense made a play!

AJA

Tried tuning to 46. "No Signal"  on screen?

This is becoming very frustrating.

dlhoppe

My Sammy 351 maps CBS to 1-1 just fine. I just scan for channels and it shows up.

AJA

dlhoppe

I am glad to hear that the 351 picks up CBS.  Although you are in West Bend and I am in Racine I hope that will not make a difference.

What does the manual say the band coverage is for the 351?

Are you picking up Fox 6 HD?

Are you using the 351 for DirecTV as well as OTA HD?  If so, are you happy with it?

dlhoppe

AJA,

I'm sure the only effect your location has is whether you're close enough to the broadcast towers to receive the signal. It won't change the capability of the receiver hardware.

Band coverage?  Don't know what you mean by that. The 351 is an ATSC tuner. It's capable of picking up any digital OTA broadcast so long as the strength of the signal is adequate.

Yes, I do get Fox 6 out of Milwaukee. I also get Fox 11 out of Green Bay. (I have an antenna tower with a rotator)

The 351 is an OTA receiver only.  It is not capable of picking up satellite programming.

Yes, I'm very happy with it. At first there was an audio problem when receiving DD5.1. The audio would skip slightly every 30 seconds or so after tuning a channel sending DD5.1.  After some research online and contacting Samsung tech support, they sent me a firmware update which took care of the problem. The only other issue I've had with it is an occasional lockup, but that happens very rarely. Turning it off and back on takes care of that.

AJA

dlhoppe,

Sorry, my mistake, the tuner I was thinking of is the SAM SIRTS360.

The last page in my manual "specifications" has a category called  "Band Coverage" and it lists for VHF 2-13 & UHF 14-69.  I was just curious if your sammy 351 also had that spec.  I don't know if this is my problem as it seams the channel is 46 and is mapping to 1-1.

I am talking with CBS now to find out what they know.

Question:
When you enter the "Guide" does it take a few minutes to pull down all of the station info?  It seams awfully slow!  With D*TV it comes down instantly.

Thanks for all of your info, you have been very helpful.  I guess I should get back to work now.

Andy

dlhoppe

AJA,

Yes, VHF 2-13 & UHF 14-69 are standard channels that can be used for digital transmission. Typically digital TV is broadcast on the UHF band, but some can and will be in VHF.  For example 10-1 thru 10-7 is actually on VHF channel 8.   All ATSC tuners will be able to pick up broadcasts from these channel ranges so long as the signal strength is adequate.

Yes, CBS (WDJT) broadcasts on 46 but is "remapped" via the PSIP data to 1-1 and 1-2.  Take a look at the home page of this web site and you'll see a listing of Milwaukee stations. It shows the mapped channel/sub-channel as well as the actual channel they're being broadcast on.  For example:  1-1 WDJT CBS58 (46D).
46D is the actuall UHF channel it is broadcast on.

Yeah, the guide is pretty much an annoyance to use on the Sammy boxes. Not only does it take forever to load, but a lot of the stations do not send any guide info in their PSIP data. I think part of the problem with it taking so long is because the TV stations are sending no guide data. I believe the delay is because the Sammy is searching for the guide data in the stream, but can't find it. So it continues to look for it for a certain amount of time before giving up on each station that doesn't send it. I have a feeling that if all stations sent guide data, the Sammy would bring up the guide much quicker. I guess we'll see some day. For now, If I want to see what's on using the guide, I switch to each station one at a time and use the "short" (I think that's what it's called) guide instead of the "full" guide.  This only gives you the programming for the station you're on, but it's  instantaneous (for the stations with guide data). Of course it's only useful for channels that send guide info. Otherwise you just see "no info" or something like that.