News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

abc concert for kids GREAT HDTV picture!!

Started by ajnike, Thursday Nov 14, 2002, 07:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajnike

This looks very very good. It actually looks better than jay leno did yesterday on nbc.

i have a sony vega 32inch.
but looking for a bigger/widescreen tv. Maybe 40inch...and in the 1,000-1,800 range?
any good sets??

________
Growing Marijuana

kjnorman

Yep, just watched it on my 50in, and it was a very impressive picture, and the 5.1 sound (even through my current 3.1 set up) was very good.  My wife kept on telling me to shut up, as she found the sound fabulous and wanted to hear the singers - where as I kept on commenting on the picture, the editing and the engineering behind it all  

Considering that this is 720p and the 3100HD only outputs 1080i, I would never have know that the picture was being scaled.  Very impressive.

It was funny in that it came on and initally it was not in HD, and I started to explain to my wife how currently it is not all automated and that an engineer had probably forgotten to "throw the switch".  As she muttered "humpf" to my explaination, Bam! the picture switched.

It was poor on WISN being late on the switch but it gave and excellent opportunity to show the difference between standard def and High def.  

I gave up with the film; I couldn't cope with all the ads.  Must get a way to record this stuff...

Kerry

[This message has been edited by kjnorman (edited 11-14-2002).]

Pat

I, too, was impressed with the sound.  It made me recall what I had already known: the 5.1 sound is as important to me as the HD video.

MTV and the like should get on the BAND wagon (pun intended).  HDTV with 5.1 sound beats almost every other delivery mechanism for music.  TV moguls should reallize that they can now compete on an even footing or better with AM radio, FM radio, CDs, tapes, MP3's, regular TV, and DVDs.  As far as I know, only DVD Audio and SACD can beat them.

We have grown so used to the weak sound from normal TV sets that we forget how crappy it really is.

It seems to me that recent attempts to bring back the "variety" show may succeed if they are of the "musical variety" variety.

veyj

Great picture, great show.  Only weak link, IMO, was Nick Carter.

bigcheeshead

Pat I think you were refering to REAL music channels going 5.1 such as VH1 and Much Music.
MTV benefiting from 5.1 these days is like having the shopping network broadcast in Dolby Digital.