News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TMJ4 HD is on TWC now!!! ch. 504

Started by ajnike, Wednesday Nov 13, 2002, 12:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kjnorman

My wife called me sad for watching Leno last night just because it was in high definition; I do not normally like the show.

However, the picture did look wonderful.

I had to spend some time last night recalibrating my TV.  I find that HBO HD has a somewhat foggy look, and the TV was calibrated on its HD input to make the best of that.  However, the WTMJDT station is more vibrant.  I found I had to reset my contrast, brightness and tweak the colour down to get the best from the picture.

I may have a faulty 3100HD box however, as I often get crackle on my digital audio comming from the box with HD sources.  I always thought it was just the PBS demo channel as I had not noticed it on HBO, but it was quite apparent on WTMJ last night - particularly during Leno.

Anyone else get crackling, or is it just my box?

Kerry

RickNeff

Just some quick replies to questions based on what I'm seeing.

QuoteAnyone else get crackling, or is it just my box?

I don't have any crackling or such on mine.  I would suspect it's the box.

QuoteAnyone with a projection screen worried about burn in from these?

Since I've lowered the brightness & contrast with the Avia DVD, I don't worry too much about burn-in on mine.  Of course, I tend not to watch on the HD inputs unless it's HD programming at 16:9.

I think I'd have to worry more about DVDs in OAR more than 4:3 programming on my widescreen.

QuoteBut I did'nt have the color issue someone previously mentioned.

I don't seem to have any color issues either.  Of course, I don't currently have OTA to compare directly to what I'm seeing with the HD cable input.

QuoteAlso, it looks like NBC doesn't offer many of it's primetime shows in HD. Only the Tonight Show and ER and Law and Order. Why not all their other sitcoms?

Actually, ER isn't in HD.  From the FAQ on the NBC site (http://www.nbc.com/nbc/footer/FAQ.shtml), the following NBC shows are in HD: American Dreams, Boomtown, Crossing Jordan, Ed (I know this since I checked it last night), Frasier, In-Laws, Hidden Hills, Good Morning Miami, & Tonight Show (Again, watched this last night)

------------------
Richard Neff
Proud Toshiba 56x81 owner!

[This message has been edited by RickNeff (edited 11-14-2002).]

kjnorman

I should just add, that when I mentioned colour issues, i was really refering to the whole picture set up from the box.  It is not "really" a problem - more an annoyance.

My normal def inputs were calibrated with Avia and I had done 64 point convergence and overscan setting on my set - but again for SD only.  The trouble is that there is no reference material for tuning up 1080i resolutions.  Also, I moved house since I originally calibrated the set, and have not go round to resetting it yet (heck, I have not even hooked up my rear speakers yet, so I am listing to 3.1 DD :0)

So the issues are mostly mine, but tweaking the HD material is hard when there is no reference to compare it too.

Kerry

kjnorman

QuoteOriginally posted by RickNeff:
Actually, ER isn't in HD.  

Err, actually it is.  It is just they introduced it late and switched to HDTV without making a big fuss about it.

Here are some threads on the subject.

AVS Thread 1

AVS Thread 2

AVS Thread 3

Kerry

Todd Wiedemann

OT: At least he won't be subjected to the HD arm-severing-at-the-bicep-by-helicopter-blade 'beauty'    

kjnorman

Joseph S

ER is HD as mentioned above. I think the decision came in hours before the season premiere.

Todd Wiedemann

Sorry ...

The first HD episode of ER was also the first ep. of the season. Dr. Romano was working on the roof of the hospital and accidently stepped into a helicopter blade, severing his left arm at the bicep.

It was *quite* disturbing, especially in HD glory !

Todd Wiedemann

Just flipped on, expecting an upconvert and saw a lighthouse piece, in HD !

What's up Sean ?? Will we still get NBC HD content ??    

RickNeff

QuoteErr, actually it is. It is just they introduced it late and switched to HDTV without making a big fuss about it.

Oops! I stand corrected.  Guess those of us w/TWC are a little late in keeping up with such things.

------------------
Richard Neff
Proud Toshiba 56x81 owner!

oflaherty

We had the lighthouse and other HD demo tapes on Thursday afternoon (3-7 pm) for a special ceremony at Time Warner for the launch of WTMJ-DT on cable channel 504.
We wanted to show off HD at the ceremony, but that would not be possible just watching standard definition newscasts.
---
Sean at TMJ

kermtfrg

Did anyone else have problems with ER last night on TWC?  Around 9:30, the picture started breaking up, 10 minutes later the audio and video were noticeably off.  We had to switch back to analog because it was very annoying.

Overall, I was blown away by the picture.

kjnorman

QuoteOriginally posted by kermtfrg:
Did anyone else have problems with ER last night on TWC?  Around 9:30, the picture started breaking up, 10 minutes later the audio and video were noticeably off.  We had to switch back to analog because it was very annoying.

Overall, I was blown away by the picture.

Yep, big problems.  I posted a thread on the technical section of the forum.

brewtownska

kjnorman, I have the same problem with cutting out audio on the HD channels with the 3100HD box from TWC.  If you happen to find out anything more about the problem, please let us all know.

By the way, y'all have a great thing going here at the forum.  I've been reading the threads on this board for a long time, but never really posted anything.  Maybe that'll change now that us TWC customers actually have something to watch now!

------------------
TWC 3100HD box on both
50" Toshiba 4:3 HDTV &
Sony 1272Q CRT Projector
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Skipjack

I must say the HD feed of ER & Leno last night looked "clearer" than analog. I still didn't find them as riveting as the HD feed on PBS HD (710).  I found ER a little too "grainy".  Perhaps it's the stage lighting on Leno that made it look a little "pixelated".  

Perhaps TWC is still working on the bugs, I'll wait until the official roll-out dates before I give it a real critical eye.