News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Time Warner vs. DirecTV?

Started by yaderhey, Thursday Oct 30, 2003, 10:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yaderhey

OK ... big question here ...

After buying my 51" Toshiba HDTV, I grudgingly canceled my DirecTV subscription and got Time Warner Digital Cable.  I just couldn't justify buying the $500 DirecTV HD receiver.  My complaints to their customer service went unheard.

Now ... DirecTV is trying to lure me back.  $50 for the box, two free premium channels for six months, etc.

Question is, though, what about the on-air channels?  I know DirecTV doesn't offer them, so I'd have to pick them off antenna.  My TV doesn't have a built in tuner.  Does the DirecTV box have one?  And will they look crappy in Bay View?

I'd love to ditch Time Warner, but I don't want to lose channels.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Tom Snyder

Picking up the locals (except for Fox 6) in Bay View should be a piece of cake even with an indoor antenna.. or even one of those crappy Terk dish mount rip-offs.

But $50 for a box? That's not really an HD box is it?

BTW... keep in mind that by switching to TWC you'll be losing ESPN HD, HDNet, HDNet movies and the special event HD channel (as well as Picture quality on a bunch of the non-hd channels).
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Todd Wiedemann

QuoteQuestion is, though, what about the on-air channels? I know DirecTV doesn't offer them, so I'd have to pick them off antenna.
If that's all that's stopping you, check this out: (I used my zip code, but that doesn't matter)

I'd dump TWC right away !

StarvingForHDTV

Todd,
I think he wants the digital OTA channels via antenna not DirecTV locals.

Yaderhey,
If they will truly give you a HIGH DEFINITION set top box for $50 you should definitely consider the offer.  I don't think DirecTV has an HDTV box which won't pull in over the air digital and analog stations with an antenna.  Make sure you ask though, just in case.

Starving

Todd Wiedemann

QuoteI think he wants the digital OTA channels via antenna not DirecTV locals.
Yeah, you're right. That hit me after I pushed the 'submit' button. Oh, well.

yaderhey

Thanks for tips so far.  I believe DirecTV is offering their $500 box for $50.  So the big question is if it's got a tuner included.  Does anyone out there have the DirecTV HD box?  Not surprisingly, the telemarketer didn't know the answer.

So what's the deal with Fox 6?  Does it only work in HD if you have Time Warner?

Gregg Lengling

If you search the threads you'll see alot about Fox6.  They have a very low power transmitter at their studio (wx radar tower) at about 125 feet.  They keep saying they are beefing up their main tower to handle the problem.  But I can't find the contractor that's supposed to move the antenna there.  The contractor beefing up and repairing the tower is doing just that plus moving the 6 analog standby antenna from 400 feet to 800 feet...but they don't know anything about the Digital 33 antenna and feedline.  It's actually becoming a bigger joke than it has been for over the past year.

So anyhow unless you live in Brown Deer or Mequon or have a clean shot at Brown Deer and Green Bay Roads ....you're not going to receive them OTA.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

yaderhey

In terms of signal quality over the air, because we're talkin' digital, does that mean a station either comes in or it doesn't?  Or are there static and ghosting issues, etc?

I'm wondering if the over the air local HD channels will look as good as the TWC local HD channels (which aren't so great, either).

Gregg Lengling

I can't comment on how the TWC local HD channels look...so I'll skip that one.

With digital signals for the most part you either have a picture or you don't...but with marginal signals you will have a multitude of problems.....pixelation, artifacting and audio drop-outs and if the fade is bad enough...the entire picture will freeze.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

borghe

it doesn't look like this has been answered, so yes, ALL DirecTV HD boxes come with OTA capabilities.. no matter what box they give you it will be able to pick up an OTA signal and it will be included seamlessly in the Advanced Program Guide.

Speaking of the Advanced Program Guide, I noticed that NBC/WTMJ in the guide has started designating shows as HD. Also 36/WMVT. I don't believe I have seen ABC or CBS designated as such though.. just thought it was interesting (all of the satellite HD channels do also)

Matt Heebner

Also I would DEFINITELY clarify the whole $50/$500 HD box thing with a DirecTV supervisor. The only time I have ever heard Directv offering any kind of deal with a HD box, it was in the form of a credit towards a HD box....I think it was like a $150 credit towards a 3 LNB oval dish and a HD box. That was a while ago though, and maybe they have "upped" the ante against cable. If I were you though I would make sure before you proceed.

Matt

dapinger

I just had DirecTV convert me to HD.  $450 for a $600 Samsung SIRTS160 box, oval dish, Winegard antenna and installation.  The box handles the dish, cable and OTA.  I am only able to get 4 & 12 in HD but think the fact that I live in a heavily wooded area in the western burbs has a lot to do with that.

Originally planned on converting to cable, however, the installer for my Roadrunner talked me out of it.  Imagine that!

Tom Snyder

How far out in the burbs are you? If you can get 4 and 12, you should be able to easily get 10 and 36...  Although 58 is at low power, I can get a strong signal from them with an indoor antenna 20+ miles away in western Germantown...
Tom Snyder

dapinger

I'm in New Berlin.  I do pick up 10 OK.  36 will come and go.  Don't recall the signal strength on that one but 4 & 12 come in at about 77%.  Did pick up 58 when it was first installed and then lost it completely within a couple of days.  If I want to sit and watch the signal strength for about 5 minutes it may get above 20 for a second or two, but that is it.

Tried the antenna in about 3 different positions within roughly a 20 degree arc.  Saw very little change.  Naturally if I get to far one way I lose 4 completely or to far the other I lose 12.

I'm trying to decide if a different antenna would help.  I do know that it would be real difficult to get something above the trees.

Tom Snyder

That seems odd... I'm close to 20000 west and 11000 North, and I have a woods between my house and the transmitters. I get 90+ on 4 and 12, high 80's on 10 and 36, and 70's on 58.. and that's with an indoor antenna (Radio double bowtie)...
Tom Snyder