News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Milwaukee's Official Packer Station

Started by Kevin Arnold, Tuesday Sep 09, 2003, 04:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Arnold

I saw WTMJ's promo for their Packer coverage with team members saying they were the "official" Packer station.  This is great since they've had their last Packer game of this season.  But then Fox 6 is my official weather station so I have to flip from  Fox 6 weather over to TMJ sports so as to get the sanctioned information.
It would be fun to add to the official list of official stations. And don't forget the official hottest news gal station......
Kevin Arnold

Todd Wiedemann

I like the idea ...

I think that 12 is the official Brewer's forecast station. I'll verify tonite, as Tammy talks to Mark about the weather ... :cool:

John L

Besides exhibition games, I believe WTMJ-TV will carry any of the non-network season games.  The non-network ones are usually the Sunday Night ESPN Football Game of the week.

We will have to see what happens when the Minnesota Vikings host the Packers on November 2nd.  I am sure one of the local stations will cover teh ESPN game.  I would expect WTMJ-TV to do so for the first time since in the past it has been WISN-TV and WCGV-TV that carried those Sunday night ESPN games. I don't remember if WITI-TV carried any.

-John L.

Kevin Arnold

I doubt TMJ will have those ESPN games as that is ABC owned and since WISN is the ABC affiliate they will get first dibs.
Kevin Arnold

Todd Wiedemann

In their ads, 12 is saying they will carry 5 prime time games, all in HD.

Cross referencing the Packers' schedule we get:

09/07   L   25-30 (was FOX)
09/14   Noon   FOX
09/21   3:05 pm   FOX
09/29   8 pm   ABC
10/05   Noon   FOX
10/12   Noon   CBS
10/19   Noon   FOX
10/26       Open Date
11/02   7:30 pm   ESPN
11/10   8 pm   ABC
11/16   3:15 pm   FOX
11/23   Noon   FOX
11/27   11:30 am   FOX
12/07   Noon   FOX
12/14   3:15 pm   FOX
12/22   8 pm   ABC
12/28   3:15 pm   CBS

... and the fifth one was the Hall of Fame preseason game.

Also, I don't ever remember 24 (WCGV) ever carrying Packers football ... anyone ?

John L

Besides Fox, yes there was a year or so after they became a UPN affiliate that WCGV-TV rebroadcast one or 2 Green Bay Packer games on a Sunday evening when ESPN was carrying them. WCGV-TV re-broadcasted ESPN those nights just like what WISN-TV did.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I swear WCGV-TV did carry some Packer games for one year, and this was sometime after they gave up Fox...it was like a year after they gave up Fox.

-John L.

StarvingForHDTV

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Wiedemann

11/02   7:30 pm   ESPN

I was hoping for HD Packers on my birthday.  Thank you WISN!  They are my official HD television station in Milwaukee.

Starving

Sparkman87

Just a note, Ch 12 will not be allowed to carry the  ESPN-HD feed on 11/2.  I have been going thru this with CH 7 in Chicago for this weeks Bears/Vikings games.  Here is the E-mail I got from their General Manager confirming this.

Unfortunately, ESPN is not authorized to feed us the HD version due to
contractual issues with the cable systems it broadcasts on.  We will
upconvert the game so that it can be seen in standard definition on Channel
52 and of course it will be seen in a normal analog format on Channel 7.
It's a good idea but the current arrangement between ESPN, the NFL and the
cable carriers prohibits us from receiving anything but standard def.  Thank
you for asking.
Emily Barr
President & General Manager
ABC 7 Chicago

Ken on AVS Forums confirms this contractual limitation.  ESPN will not pass along the HD feed to any OTA systems.  Kinda sucks for me because I have DISH and we can't get ESPN-HD until Tuesday, so no HD Bears/Vikings for me.  Then again, the way they plyed Sunday, it really doesn't matter.

Tom Snyder

So the ONLY people who will see that game in HD will be those who subscribe to a service that provides ESPN HD?  

Like DirecTV with the extra-charge HD package?

Suddenly that extra 10 bucks has become worth it.  :cool:
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Sparkman87

Tom,

Yea, That's kinda it.  I'm signing up for the DISH package now.