News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Now that 6-1 is full power......

Started by StarvingForHDTV, Sunday Aug 28, 2005, 12:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewP

If you don't have major trees you will get the solid signal.
Visit http://www.antennaweb.org, type your address and it will tell you antenna direction and distance.
You will maybe be lucky and get both Milwaukee and Chicago with one antenna. I could'n do it because of angles (36 degrees to Milwaukee and 164 degrees to Chicago), which makes 164-36=128 degrees difference. So I ended up with combining 4228 aimed at Chicago with chip Menards antenna aimed to Milwaukee.
I your case there is a chance that you don't need the second antenna, because the angle will be almost 180 degrees. If you will have problems with Milwaukee then before adding the second antenna try to remove screen from the back of 4228 (read this tip somewhere on the Web).

psubill78

Quote from: AndrewPIf you don't have major trees you will get the solid signal.
Visit http://www.antennaweb.org, type your address and it will tell you antenna direction and distance.
You will maybe be lucky and get both Milwaukee and Chicago with one antenna. I could'n do it because of angles (36 degrees to Milwaukee and 164 degrees to Chicago), which makes 164-36=128 degrees difference. So I ended up with combining 4228 aimed at Chicago with chip Menards antenna aimed to Milwaukee.
I your case there is a chance that you don't need the second antenna, because the angle will be almost 180 degrees. If you will have problems with Milwaukee then before adding the second antenna try to remove screen from the back of 4228 (read this tip somewhere on the Web).

Antennaweb says chicago is 165/166 degrees and that Milwaukee is 1 and 4 degrees.

It says 50 miles from the tower, but google earth says differently.

Right now, I have an antenna that looks similiar to this (don't know what brand, etc - DirecTV installed it) http://www.antennasdirect.com/DB2_Indoor_antenna.html

And with that, I get fox chicago and nbc at 71% (according to DTV HD TIVO). The antenna is mounted off of my dish..

dlhoppe

Try this site out.  It gives very good information regarding distance and bearing from your home.  You just need to get your latitude, longitude, magnetic declination and range.

psubill78

Quote from: dlhoppeTry this site out.  It gives very good information regarding distance and bearing from your home.  You just need to get your latitude, longitude, magnetic declination and range.

Which site would that be ?  :confused:

AndrewP

He probably meant http://www.2150.com/broadcast/default.asp.
But antennaweb gave me the same result.
Also I tried Kenosha address (my working address) and got Chicago 171 (48 miles) and Milwaukee 357-358 (37 miles). So that address qualify for one antenna solution.
4228 is 4'X4' square, it looks similar to yuors but it has 8 elements, so it is more like DB8 from the site you mentioned.

psubill78

Quote from: AndrewPHe probably meant http://www.2150.com/broadcast/default.asp.
But antennaweb gave me the same result.
Also I tried Kenosha address (my working address) and got Chicago 171 (48 miles) and Milwaukee 357-358 (37 miles). So that address qualify for one antenna solution.
4228 is 4'X4' square, it looks similar to yuors but it has 8 elements, so it is more like DB8 from the site you mentioned.

Thanks Andrew. You have me excited now.  4'x4' is enormous, but if it works in the attic, I'd be thrilled, even more if I can hit Milwaukee and Chicago.

Everything I've read says that the attic idea doesn't work well... I'm hesitant.  Know of any places where I can get that antenna with a return policy?

AndrewP

Yeah, I read a lot about failing attic antennas, about failing combing antennas. Th truth is you will never know without trying. I have 100% success in combining two antennas in the attic. It doesn't mean it will work for everybody else. I am just suggesting to try what worked in my case.
4228 is $40 at Marmax (Rawson & 68)., no returns. It should be available in Kenosha. Ask Chester Electronics. Solidsignal.com allows returns, but double shipping will kill that Marmax price. If you need to feed more then one TV you will need pre-amp or amp. In my case I have better results with ChannelMaster amp distibutor, than pre-amp.

psubill78

Quote from: AndrewPYeah, I read a lot about failing attic antennas, about failing combing antennas. Th truth is you will never know without trying. I have 100% success in combining two antennas in the attic. It doesn't mean it will work for everybody else. I am just suggesting to try what worked in my case.
4228 is $40 at Marmax (Rawson & 68)., no returns. It should be available in Kenosha. Ask Chester Electronics. Solidsignal.com allows returns, but double shipping will kill that Marmax price. If you need to feed more then one TV you will need pre-amp or amp. In my case I have better results with ChannelMaster amp distibutor, than pre-amp.

Thanks for the info on the antenna -  What is a ChannelMaster amp distibutor? Does that split the signal to multiple sets?

What if I only want it for one TV? I am wondering if the amp is what enables you to get those signals..

AndrewP

Quote from: psubill78Thanks for the info on the antenna -  What is a ChannelMaster amp distibutor? Does that split the signal to multiple sets?

What if I only want it for one TV? I am wondering if the amp is what enables you to get those signals..

Yes, it is a powered splitter.
If you need antenna signal for just one TV then most likely you don't need pre-amps and amps. Try first without them. If signal breaks, then add them. You probably can improve reception if you add pre-amp to your existing DB2 antenna.
Again, it is error and trial method. But it is fun :D