News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Yamaha A/V receiver repair needed

Started by Dan the Man, Monday Nov 22, 2010, 05:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan the Man

I have a Yamaha A/V receiver that is about 4 years old. There apparently is a problem with some type of thermal overload in the unit. After being on for 15-20 minutes it turns itself off. I have been able to keep it running by setting a small cooling fan next to the unit and maintaining forced airflow around it.

So the long and short of it is can someone recommend a place in the area to get it repaired? I am hoping the fix is simple and around the $100 mark or so. I would rather not go out and drop a bunch of cash this close to the Holidays just to replace something I already own. It's much more fun to buy something I don't already have......  Besides the receiver is fine other then this problem.

Thanks for the help!

budda

If you have a switch that goes from 4 to 8 ohms on the back of your unit. try it on 4 ohms. that may fix your problem. Have you added any speakers recently?:rock:

Dan the Man

No, nothing had been changed. I think this goes back to an electrical issue so heres the full story.

A few months ago there was a power transient and the receiver quit working. I disconnected it, had it out of the rack and then tested it. It started working again and I hooked it all back up. It worked fine for a few months and then now this.

I have everything running through a surge suppressor, but in all honesty its probably not a good one. I was thinking about buying a UPS and power conditioner for the set-up (especially for the TV cooling fan) but that's likely overkill.

That's the whole story. I would rather fix it, but if I need to I will buy a new unit.

WPXE ION

The Yamaha web site recommends Flanners in Brookfield. I'd call first to see if they can do it.

Greg Oman

We recently had our Denon repaired at Electronic Express and had a very positive experience.

http://www.electronicexpressinc.com/

They also appear to be Yamaha factory authorized.

Shipped it out on a Wednesday, UPS ground, insured for $600 and shipping was $18 out of pocket. They received it the next day, repaired it, and we had it back the following Monday.  Ours was under warranty, but you seem to have a pretty good fix on your problem, so you may want to send them a message and see if they can give you an estimate.

My experience with Flanners (prior to being bought by Colders though) was that they only service items that they sell. I had a real bad experience with a Sony ES receiver a few years back-- so like the previous poster says, call first. Just make sure if you didn't buy it from them, you ask that clearly.  Mine sat two weeks after I dropped it off, only to get that answer and the receiver back untouched(yea, I was upset about that.....) Maybe non-warranty would be different.

Greg O.