News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

1080p my spin

Started by Gregg Lengling, Monday Oct 03, 2005, 01:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Strube

No way... I wonder what they'll be by the holidays. :D

picopir8

Sorry for the stupid question but is anyone planning on broadcasting 1080p yet?

If not, a 1080p set will still look better with an internal line doubler upconverting 1080i, but get the full benefit and make these sets look their best it would be nice if some channels do broadcast at 1080p.

digdugm

They can't even input a 1080p signal, so even if BD or HD-DVD players will output 1080p it will be downcoverted to 1080i sent to the tv and upconverted. Hopefully the next generation will be able to take it, will probably come with add cost though.

MoreTorque99

Quote from: digdugmThey can't even input a 1080p signal, so even if BD or HD-DVD players will output 1080p it will be downcoverted to 1080i sent to the tv and upconverted. Hopefully the next generation will be able to take it, will probably come with add cost though.

This is why I would never buy a current generation 1080p set.  I see no real benefit in the added cost.

I have seen a Mitsubishi 1080p DLP and I am far from impressed.

Gregg Lengling

And you won't see anyone broadcasting in 1080p, there is no ATSC standard for it and there isn't even the bandwidth (even if they switched to MPEG4 encoding)  it would require a 6 to 8 MHz wide channel which is not available.  The only 1080p source I've found listed anywhere is Sony's new game box that is coming out.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}