News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Speed up your Cable/DSL connection!

Started by Mark Strube, Friday Oct 21, 2005, 04:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Strube

A great tip I just learned from picopir8... this will basically not use your ISP's DNS servers to find out the IP addresses for websites you connect to. So, when connecting to a website you've clicked on or entered the URL for, it will find the site and connect MUCH quicker. Note that this won't increase actual download speed, but it will speed up the time it takes to connect to websites or downloads in the first place. Here's the instructions:

On Windows XP:

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections.

2. Find your "Local Area Connection" icon for your Cable modem or DSL. If you're not sure which it is, click each one until the description on the left says the word "Ethernet" in it. That's usually the one. If you're using a wireless connection, then find the one that says that.

3. Right-click "Local Area Connection" or your wireless and go to "Properties."

4. Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the "Properties" button.

5. Select the button next to "Use the following DNS server addresses."

6. In the top box, or "Preferred DNS server" enter 208.67.222.222

7. In the bottom box, or "Alternate DNS server" enter 208.67.220.220

8. Click OK out of everything, and you should notice an instant improvement in speed connecting to websites! Enjoy!

If anyone can write up Mac-specific instructions, please feel free to post them.

mhz40

So what exactly does this do?  What are the downsides if any?

Mark Strube

Basically it bypasses Road Runner's DNS servers and uses different ones, that in my opinion seems to allow me to connect to websites a bit faster. I don't really see any downsides, and an upside is if RR's DNS is on the fritz, which happens often, you won't be affected at all. It appears these may be "Verizon Level 3 Nameservers."

If you want to really go nuts you could ping every server in this list and see which gives you the fastest response.

Verizon (Level3) Nameservers

SpeakEasy Nameservers

ORSC Public Access DNS Nameservers

Sprintlink General DNS

Cisco

An even more extensive & detailed list can be found here:
http://www.portforward.com/networking/dns.htm

AndrewP

With current RR speeds it will not help a lot, maybe page will load 1/10 sec. faster. But when it will really matter is when RR DNS servers are under attack. It happens from time to time and then you will see very annoying slowdown in DNS response. Then just change these DNS settings and you are OK.
What can happen is that those DNS servers can also be under attack (hopefully at different time). Then just change DNS settings to RR.

Tom Snyder

For the non-technical guys:

Every Web site has a domain name... but the way the internet works, those Web site addresses are really a series of numbers, separated by dots (IP addresses). A DNS server keeps a duplicate record of which domain  names are associated with what IP addresses, and when you type in a domain name, your browser looks to a DNS server for where to go to get the site.  

When you set up your computer's intenet configuration, your internet service provider tells you to use their DNS servers.. but there are tons... Trivera (the company that hosts this site) has two...  might be an extra hop or two, but a whole lot less traffic.. so you can also try:

Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

StarvingForHDTV

Wow, I am very impressed with the results!  SBC/Yahoo DSL is smokin' now.  I had no idea I was backlogged.

Thank you  :)

MoreTorque99

Great tip!  It improved the response of my 1.5mbps SBC DSL!

Matt Heebner

Were would I find this in Windows ME ?

Matt

Matt Heebner

I think I figured it out. I actually think my connection is faster than my computers ability to process it (yea...I have a old slow computer)

Matt

brb79

hello
this seems to be pretty good but i am a little fearful about changng my settings
what if something goes wrong
i think i wil lwrite ny old settings somewehre so if this thing does not work then i will enter my old settings again
What say , isnt it a good idea

Mark Strube

The only setting you'd have to restore is changing it from "Use the following DNS server addresses" back to "Obtain DNS server address automatically."

Mark Strube

Updated! In the instructions I've changed the servers to OpenDNS servers since they seem to now have very superior name server services. There's also many other perks to switching your DNS to them, which you can find out by going to the website below...

//www.opendns.org

murdoc

These instructions are for Mac OS X

1.  Open System Properties from the dock
2.  Click Network
3.  From the drop-down box "Show" click "Built-in Ethernet"
4.  In the "DNS Servers" box type in the IP addresses you want.  Seperate addresses with a semi-colon ;
5.  Click "Apply Now in the lower right-hand corner
6.  Restart your Mac

Mark Strube

If you're using a router you can also do it in its internal settings (you'll have to check the manual for your specific router if you're not sure how)... this will then make all computers on your network use those DNS servers.

waterhead

The OpenDNS web site has instructions for specific routers, that's where I got the instructions for my D-Link router.

http://www.opendns.com/start/home_network.php