News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Going to Lurker mode

Started by kjnorman, Thursday Oct 31, 2002, 09:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kjnorman

Hi all,

I wanted to say that I will be going to lurker mode for the next few months or so.

I feel like a traitor, but our household is dumping digital cable.  There just is not enough worthwhile content for us to keep it.  I know that WTMJ is going HD on TW in December but the only thing we watch there is West Wing and that's not HD, so it is good bye to HDTV for us (at least for now).

The rational for this is to save some money.  Digital cable is expensive considering we watch mostly network programming.  I'm actually interested in dumping analog cable altogether and getting a HDTV card for the PC to allow me to record and watch DTV OTA, but I am facing an uphill battle with my wife who's thoughts are "I don't care about the picture quality.  I'm not willing to lose cable for you to buy a toy!"  It doesn't help that my wife is pregnant and so spends a lot of her time in a completely irrational state    But this is the problem many will face as we move to dTV.  For many spouses, I think they consider it "just a toy..." :|

I will carry on lurking in the forum, to see how the transition progresses.

Who knows perhaps I will be back sooner than I think.

Good luck to all.

Kerry

StarvingForHDTV

Kerry,

I dropped my cable service also.  I had digital cable, then I went to analog cable, then to basic lifeline cable, after that I got the Radio Shack double bow tie to pull in analog over the air signals.  The signals are better quality for the most part over the air anyway.

Instead of paying Time Warner a monthly fee for TV, I used the "cash" to invest in a set top box which could decode digital and analog over the air signals.  Sure it's a relatively large start up cost, but there are no monthly fees for the content.  I couldn't be happier getting digital and analog over the air with my antenna vs. cable.  

Starving

P.S.  I switched from TWC's Road Runner to Earthlink cable also.  It feels good to have TWC out of my life.  Well actually Earthlink uses their cable lines to give me my internet access, but that doesn't bother me.  I saved $8 a month that way too.  I figured the money I previously gave TWC every month will "pay for" my new STB shortly.  In addition I can get NBC-DT, CBS-DT, and ABC-DT right away.  That's worth quite a bit in my mind.