News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC-Please Add Keyword Search to The Cable Boxes!

Started by Jack 1000, Saturday Dec 15, 2012, 03:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack 1000

I think Navigator is getting better, but the improvement process is still very slow.  Family members and relatives are still not understanding that the Keyboard Search is Title Based Only and are missing shows because of it.  I made a tutorial to show people how to find shows that are not obvious through Title Searches.  (For example Sports shows require that you type the exact name of the sport.  However, you also have to key for the keyboard the TYPE of sport.)

The world "Football" won't show all football games.  Want pro football? You have to type "NFL Football" or Pro Baseball type "MLB Baseball."  Tennis is really hard, because there can be three or four different types of Tennis matches, there's "US Open", "Wimbledon", different regional matches.  But on that stupid title only keyboard, if you don't know the exact title of what you are looking for, you're screwed.

Are we gonna see a Google Type "search by keyword" for the boxes,  before we are all in pine boxes? LOL!  I got to leave the TV, go all the way to the computer, log into My Services, hope that it works, (and it has most of the time) to do a keyword descriptive search for what I want to watch!  If the older boxes have memory issues, forget the Cast, Channel, Title and Sports Filters.  Just make the boxes search by keywords and nothing else.  

Not only does keyword search cover all the bases in searching, it helps customers find their information faster.  The addition of this feature will allow a more modern search platform that can integrate Navigator with other TWC search methods.  Title searches are just too limited.

Satch
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Snard

My 2 cents:

Searching on the cable box has always been a frustrating experience for me, especially having to use the cursor-based "keyboard" to enter my text. When I don't want to "go all the way to the computer" for a search, I use the TWC app on my tablet or iPod to find the show I want to record. There are versions available for iPod/Phone/Pad and for Android phones and tablets.

I agree with you that the search function on the cable box is limited and could be better. I just wanted to mention that the mobile device apps are another alternative, for folks who have them.
- Mike Shawaluk

Samsung UN46D6000
Philips 40PFL4706/F7B

Now with Windows Media Center and HDHomeRun Prime!

popegreg

Quote from: Jack 1000;59038Not only does keyword search cover all the bases in searching, it helps customers find their information faster.  The RESTORATION of this feature will allow a more modern search platform that can integrate Navigator with other TWC search methods.  Title searches are just too limited.
Satch

Fixed that for you!!! :)

Jack 1000

Quote from: popegreg;59049Fixed that for you!!! :)

Thanks!

Yea, my original post was a little long, but I just wanted to get in that the friends and relatives do not understand that that the keyboard search is currently Title Only.  A find anything type of keyword search will makes sure no programs are missed.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide