News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

WMVS subchannel duplication?

Started by ArgMeMatey, Tuesday Aug 14, 2012, 09:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArgMeMatey

I re-scanned today and found that my WMVS channels (10.1, .2, .3, .4) appeared to be duplicated on 10.11, .12, .13, .14.  This is on both my Samsung TV and Windows Media Center.  Any idea why?  

On WMC the PSIP names are

10.1 WMVS-DT
10.2 WMVS-DT2
10.3 WMVS-DT3
10.4 WMVS-DT4

10.11 WMVS HD
10.12 World
10.13 V-me
10.14 Weather

mrschimpf

Is the 36 UHF translator for WMVS finally up? In the cases of stations which have inner-market translators, those translators are often given different sub numbers to give some kind of differentiation, so the translator numbers here would have a 1 added on.

Between the WMLW/WBME swap, the relaunch of 68 and WBWT switching to MundoFox, this has been one of the busiest weeks technically in Milwaukee since the digital switchover.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: mrschimpf;58808Is the 36 UHF translator for WMVS finally up? In the cases of stations which have inner-market translators, those translators are often given different sub numbers to give some kind of differentiation, so the translator numbers here would have a 1 added on.

I have no idea.  Didn't poke around much but WMC doesn't share RF channel # too easily.  Was hoping somebody with better equipment would check it out.  Otherwise I suppose I could hook up an old converter and see what that tells me.  

Would the translator parse the incoming stream, drop the incoming channel numbers from the PSIP, and insert its own channel numbers?

Or would the full power station's PSIP carry all of it?  

I don't have a meter but WMC showed the higher subchannels were 'yellow' strength while the lower ones were all 'green'.

Will

Quote from: mrschimpf;58808Is the 36 UHF translator for WMVS finally up?

The new channels are indeed UHF 36.

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;58809I don't have a meter but WMC showed the higher subchannels were 'yellow' strength while the lower ones were all 'green'.

I noticed the same thing.  Indicated signal strengths for me are 98-100 for channel 8, and 78-81 for channel 36.

I assume  this is designed for those OTA folks having trouble pulling in VHF channels?

jjallou

I guess this would be asking too much.......

How about making 10-11 (on RF-36) a single 1080i HD channel with no subchannels?
and leave RF-8 as it is.