News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Bad Box?

Started by grenier, Sunday May 13, 2012, 01:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grenier

I have a Cisco 8640HDC that isn't accurately displaying the DVR used percentage. I noticed it was at 66% full with just a handful of things recorded. I did a warm reboot the other day and it went down to 35%, which seemed right. I recorded some thing last night and it was up to 40%, I watched then deleted the shows and it only went down to 37%. Another warm reboot and it went down to 33%.

Any thoughts? Could it be a Navigator problem or is the box just being goofy before it dies? I haven't had any problems with the box before this started up.
Cisco 8640HDC

Jack 1000

Quote from: grenier;58496I have a Cisco 8640HDC that isn't accurately displaying the DVR used percentage. I noticed it was at 66% full with just a handful of things recorded. I did a warm reboot the other day and it went down to 35%, which seemed right. I recorded some thing last night and it was up to 40%, I watched then deleted the shows and it only went down to 37%. Another warm reboot and it went down to 33%.

Any thoughts? Could it be a Navigator problem or is the box just being goofy before it dies? I haven't had any problems with the box before this started up.

There is a bug reported with the Ciscos that can occasionally show an incorrect DVR full percentage after a new or swapped box install.  A reboot will fix that.  About a half hour later, (not instantaneously) you should notice a drop in disk space used.

I don't think your settings are that far off.  The 66% to 33% sounds right.  If your box was jumping up to 90% after doing the reboot to get the percentage to read right, I would say, "bad box."  But going from 66% down to 33% following the reboot, than back up to 37% seems to be within normal limits.  I have always believed  those percentages are approximate ranges, and would not even worry about it until your up to 90% full.  I think your box is OK.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

grenier

Thanks for the reply.

I found it odd because it's the same box I've had for over a year, it just started this recently. It seemed like it was pretty accurate in the past with it's readings, I'd delete something and it would go back down to where it should be. I'm only getting back a fraction of what I should get. If I record something that takes up 5% of the DVR, when I delete it I should get the whole 5% back, not only 3%.

Worse case scenario, I guess I'll reboot it every now and then. Maybe I need to do a cold reboot next time.
Cisco 8640HDC

grenier

Went to bed last night with the DVR at 52% full. I just turned on my box and it was locked up hard.  I did a cold reboot and the last two things I recorded are gone. No sign of them on the recently recorded list. The DVR is at 50%, which is not right. It was at 45% before I recorded the last two shows...the ones that disappeared.

Not only that, all the calls on the Caller ID on TV from 7/11 are gone. I'm frustrated, the box had been working great since the last update, the DVR percentage seemed accurate. I'm starting to wonder if it was just a fluke or if the box is actually dying.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?
Cisco 8640HDC

Jack 1000

Quote from: grenier;58678Went to bed last night with the DVR at 52% full. I just turned on my box and it was locked up hard.  I did a cold reboot and the last two things I recorded are gone. No sign of them on the recently recorded list. The DVR is at 50%, which is not right. It was at 45% before I recorded the last two shows...the ones that disappeared.

Not only that, all the calls on the Caller ID on TV from 7/11 are gone. I'm ****ed, the box had been working great since the last update, the DVR percentage seemed accurate. I'm starting to wonder if it was just a fluke or if the box is actually dying.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Last night, or the night before, I got a reboot at 3am.  No changes noted.  Sometimes it helps if the box freezes to wait for up to 10 minutes for the box to reboot on its own.  If you do a cold reboot, before doing that cold reboot, turn off your box and TV than do the cold reboot.  In rare cases, unplugging a "already on" box, might cause an issue.  The box in rare cases could be doing some sort of server-data transmission when you unplugged it.  This could explain the loss of your Caller ID Call List.

I'm gonna ask my cable guys if there is a way to get your Caller ID List back on the box.  What you can try, is get an account and go to My Services at TWC Milwaukee's website, or if you have an account, log-in to My Services.  Click on Digital Phone, and select your Call History.  The calls might still be in there.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

grenier

Quote from: Jack 1000;58680What you can try, is get an account and go to My Services at TWC Milwaukee's website, or if you have an account, log-in to My Services.  Click on Digital Phone, and select your Call History.  The calls might still be in there.

Thanks for the help. I've always found the Digital Phone area of the My Services page to be useless. If the calls ever show up there, and that's rare, the times are always off by at least an hour. It doesn't show the previous days calls and it only show one call received today, I've had a few.

As far as turning off the box before rebooting, It was totally unresponsive.

I wonder why it only deleted the last two things I recorded. Luckily I can either watch them on demand or online. I hope the DVR eventually shows the correct percentage. It's as if the programs are still there but the guide doesn't see them.  :confused:
Cisco 8640HDC