News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC Navigator (Program Guide) Was Strange Last Night

Started by Jack 1000, Saturday Jan 21, 2012, 10:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack 1000

Gator was strange last night,

I was watching a playback show using PIP, which I have never ever used and all of a sudden the box is about 30 seconds to 2 minutes behind on commands, than locks up. I waited and waited for the automatic reboot which never came after about 10 minutes. This was about 3am.

Than I held the power button in for about 10 seconds and the box did a warm reboot, but it did it like it was installing a new update, with a longer boot time and the added numbers on the display. Don't know if this is because:

1.) My box may still be in moderating mode because of the past channel problems I had.
2.) Navigator does not like PIP being used during playback.
3.) TWC is doing updates in my division for a new release of the guide.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Jack 1000

Cold reboot tonight,

Box is slower than snails.

Jack

gparris

Quote from: Jack 1000;58964Cold reboot tonight,

Box is slower than snails.

Jack

That's not very comforting considering my install for Whole House DVR. this week!

Jack 1000

Quote from: gparris;58967That's not very comforting considering my install for Whole House DVR. this week!

Yea,

Damn!  There is a software bug in the guide that will slow down the boxes like once every 45 days.  I know guys at corporate and all the techs aware of the bug and the forthcoming ODN 6.0 is supposed to fix this.

Jack

gparris

Quote from: Jack 1000;58968Yea,

Damn!  There is a software bug in the guide that will slow down the boxes like once every 45 days.  I know guys at corporate and all the techs aware of the bug and the forthcoming ODN 6.0 is supposed to fix this.

Jack

I hope that wasn't the actual upgrade you experienced. :bang:

Jack 1000

Quote from: gparris;58970I hope that wasn't the actual upgrade you experienced. :bang:

Yea, but its a software problem.  My sources said ODN 6.0 fixes a lot of the slowdowns.

In fact my little SA-8300HDC still chugs along ok, except for the bug above.  Keep me posted on your Signature Home experience!

Jack

grenier

I hope the update fixes the hard drive shrinkage issue.
Cisco 8640HDC

gparris

Quote from: Jack 1000;58971Yea, but its a software problem.  My sources said ODN 6.0 fixes a lot of the slowdowns.

In fact my little SA-8300HDC still chugs along ok, except for the bug above.  Keep me posted on your Signature Home experience!

Jack

Signature Home was a great cable company experience, unlike any service I have had with cable in my entire history with them.
I was made to feel like a special subscriber, I got a technician that really knew about the products and got the job done (so far nothing, all is okay).
He came in, introduced himself, told me what was going to happen and why, replaced my boxes with brand new ones (Cisco 8700 series) complete with lighted remotes. He explained how the client and servers (HD DVR boxes) worked, programmed my new remotes to turn my equipment on and off and work the volume controls on my AVRs for each room, including testing and making sure I had everything I needed. The speed on the guide and finding shows to record is as fast if not faster as my old 8300 boxes and both DVRs and client box now "talk" to each other so I can record 4 channels at one time in a combined 1 terabyte of drive space between the HD DVRs.
The billing I am told, after install costs, will be less than I paid before monthly and that includes the addition of more movie channels and an upgrade to Ultimate Road Runner service because we can work at home if needed, along with nationwide Digital Phone for conference calls at work.
The only problem I have is that to get this concierge service, you have to subscribe to Signature Home, but I had a billing that matched their pricing, actually more, already.
So if you want to treated like you're the only customer TWC has, have a special number to call and talk to the same person or persons if a concern of any kind arises, and your bill is close to their plan anyway, I (so far) recommend it. I just got done with a call from their office asking me if there was anything I needed or had any concerns, a nice touch.

I will keep posting if I run into anything that cannot be addressed in the future.

Jack 1000

Quote from: gparris;58978Signature Home was a great cable company experience, unlike any service I have had with cable in my entire history with them.
I was made to feel like a special subscriber, I got a technician that really knew about the products and got the job done (so far nothing, all is okay).
He came in, introduced himself, told me what was going to happen and why, replaced my boxes with brand new ones (Cisco 8700 series) complete with lighted remotes. He explained how the client and servers (HD DVR boxes) worked, programmed my new remotes to turn my equipment on and off and work the volume controls on my AVRs for each room, including testing and making sure I had everything I needed. The speed on the guide and finding shows to record is as fast if not faster as my old 8300 boxes and both DVRs and client box now "talk" to each other so I can record 4 channels at one time in a combined 1 terabyte of drive space between the HD DVRs.
The billing I am told, after install costs, will be less than I paid before monthly and that includes the addition of more movie channels and an upgrade to Ultimate Road Runner service because we can work at home if needed, along with nationwide Digital Phone for conference calls at work.
The only problem I have is that to get this concierge service, you have to subscribe to Signature Home, but I had a billing that matched their pricing, actually more, already.
So if you want to treated like you're the only customer TWC has, have a special number to call and talk to the same person or persons if a concern of any kind arises, and your bill is close to their plan anyway, I (so far) recommend it. I just got done with a call from their office asking me if there was anything I needed or had any concerns, a nice touch.

I will keep posting if I run into anything that cannot be addressed in the future.

Glad to hear it went well!

Jack

Jack 1000

Quote from: gparris;58978Signature Home was a great cable company experience, unlike any service I have had with cable in my entire history with them.

Did he mention any new updates coming for the guide?  The gradual move to cloud base technology?

Jack

gparris

He acknowledged the cloud but said it wasn't coming soon.
It was coming as a choice for them to use in development.

duncantuna

gparris

Quote from: duncantuna;58986So .. what's the price you're paying?

Signature Home is $199 plus approx $25 for movie channels plus tax and franchise fees. Roadrunner Ultimate and Nationwide Digital Phone is included with whole house HD DVRs (2) plus 1 HD Client box that sees both DVRs, note both DVRs "see" each other, too. I save now over $60 a month, get the fastest RR service  I didn't Have before and phone service including some premiums I didn't get before. We can work from home and the family can still do wi-fi on their tablets w/o using up bandwidth like before. Win-win-win.:wave: