News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TV 6 DTV - Not

Started by Kevin Arnold, Friday Feb 22, 2002, 08:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Arnold

As part of my research into Milwaukee TV history I talked with someone in community relations at TV6 today.  My last question was about meeting the 5-1 deadline for DTV. After a short laugh she said there was absolutely nothing happening right now and knew of no plans. I suspect they'll probably apply for a waiver. So even if Fox does Packers in widescreen l0-def, we won't see it.  And since Fox in Madison is Sinclair owned...that makes southern Wisconsin a black Fox hole.

Kevin Arnold
38" RCA w/a spinnable antenna.
Kevin Arnold

mcneguy

I spoke with someone in their engineering department prior to the Superbowl and he told me that they will be ready by the Spring...Now, who to believe?

I don't think that those waivers will actually be granted anyway.

Kevin Arnold

Interesting but not surprising. It seems a common thread that no one in any station has the complete picture.(no pun intended) I wonder if the "company line" is to say we'll meet the deadline while the real plans are know only to a few. How refreshing to deal with candid people who don't mind sharing information.

------------------
Kevin Arnold
38" RCA widescreen w/a spinnable antenna
Kevin Arnold

tenth_t2

I think the 5-1 deadline is just a construction deadline, the 50% broadcast deadline for commercial stations 4-1-03.

Here's a link at the FCC site:
 http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Mass_Media/News_Releases/2001/nrmm0114.html

Either way, I think one of our motivations is to encourage the FCC not to offer extensions which is not popular to FOX I'm sure, and to continue to push folks to buy equipment.  While I can appreciate the local FOX affiliate not having any immediate plans, I do find that a bit hard to believe.  Couldn't the FCC yank their broadcast license, or maybe fail to renew it?

It's a complex issue, no doubt as we've all seen on other forums.  Personally, I'm not too happy with the 480P and multiple channels approach after watching 720P and 1080I content.  I already have way more channels than I really need, or in all fairness can watch and catch commercials on that actually influence my purchase decisions.

Greg O.

Kevin Arnold

I think Fox looks at the digital channel from a multicasting point of view.  They would have their own 4 channel cable system. First channel would be what's on 6 now, second would be Fox news channel. Third would be some sort of Fox Sports lite, and fourth might be rerun, or a for lease channel.  Imagine, the infomercial channel-free! Since these choices are available on cable and satellite now its a high risk marketing plan.  Would you cancel cable or sat. because you could get these for free?
Also intersting is the attitude.  Secretive, gaurded, and very tight with information. Sort of an "us vs. them" approach. One bad expierence with a corporate entity is worth about 15 good ones. Those offended end up bad mouthing them all over town. Satisfied customers talk much less-hence a counter productive strategy. For years owning a broadcast liscense was a permit to print money. Now that things have tightened up they aren't sure how to get out of the "arrogant" mode.

------------------
Kevin Arnold
38" RCA widescreen w/a spinnable antenna
Kevin Arnold

Steve Mann

I received the following reply from John Baich at WITI earlier this week. Sounds like something is happening...

========
Mr. Mann:

Thank you for your interest and e-mail requesting information on WITI's DTV project.  WITI currently holds a FCC Construction Permit for DTV Channel 33.  We are actively working on the project however we have not established an on-air date at this time.   We anticipate that we will meet the FCC May 1st deadline.   Fox televison plans to offer 480P programming which we will pass on to our viewers as soon our DTV infrastructure is in place.  

Sincerely,
John Baich
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AX200U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
1 - HR20-100 DirecTV HD PVR
1 - HR24-500 DirecTV HD PVR
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

Todd Wiedemann

Steve -

Seeing as you have Mr. Baich's e-mail, could you invite him to join this group ?

Thanks !

Steve Mann

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Wiedemann:
Steve -

Seeing as you have Mr. Baich's e-mail, could you invite him to join this group ?

Thanks !

I certainly will. It would great to have him participate.

Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AX200U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
1 - HR20-100 DirecTV HD PVR
1 - HR24-500 DirecTV HD PVR
My Theater
Theater Construction Album