News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC Navigator/Box Updates

Started by Jack 1000, Tuesday Aug 03, 2010, 04:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack 1000

Multiple Listings of Titles Have Awful Lag Time on Keyboard Search

(Legacy TWC Boxes With New Guide)

I can now give SPECIFIC Guide data speed comparisons concerning the lag time on the legacy boxes when using the Keyboard. A friend of mine has an SA-8240HDC box. I have an SA-8300HDC box. The keyboard will freeze for up to 25 seconds from the time the response goes from the Remote Control to the screen on the legacy boxes when more than 7 instances of a show title are in the system. The more shows in the system, the longer the lag-time on the SA-8240HDC and SA-8300HDC. We both searched for MLB Baseball (which has about 40 games under the Title MLB Baseball) by keying the information on the new guide keyboard We timed this: Also the engineers should note that on the legacy boxes, after this lengthy search. We tested it out on the SA 8240HDC, the SA-8300HDC and the Cisco 8742 and there was quite a difference!

SA-8240HDC: (His Box)

M - 3 seconds
L - 22 seconds
B - 21 seconds

SA-8300HDC (My Box)

M- 5 seconds
L- 22 seconds
B- 21 seconds

Cisco-8742HDC: (His Other Box)

M - 1 second
L - 5 seconds
B - 3 seconds

As you can see, the speed tests on the different boxes, show that a software update is needed for the legacy terminals. We don't expect the speed to get down to the quickness of the modern Cissco's. But the legacy boxes for keyboard searching should still not have any more than a 10 SECOND MAXIMUM FOR ANY TYPED DATA. 8 SECONDS WOULD BE IDEAL, GETTING IT DOWN TO 5 WOULD BE GREAT! When Football season starts this fall, if a software patch is NOT applied to speed up the keyboard response data of the legacy boxes, customers who search for College Football and NFL Football using the keyboard will be very frustrated.

Jack

PS.  I will be posting my update threads about the new software in this thread so that more people can see them.
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

PONIES

What is it about your brain that makes you so obsessed with every mundane detail about the mediocre stock DVR interface of America's 2nd largest cable company?

Who calls up a friend to compare exact keyword typing times among multiple Time Warner units? Who does that? WHO DOES THAT?

:huh?:

duncantuna

Answer:  Awesome people do that.  

Thanks, Jack.

Jack 1000

Quote from: PONIES;58634What is it about your brain that makes you so obsessed with every mundane detail about the mediocre stock DVR interface of America's 2nd largest cable company?

Who calls up a friend to compare exact keyword typing times among multiple Time Warner units? Who does that? WHO DOES THAT?

:huh?:

Ponies,

Oh a lot of us are very serious about the technology.  When people as a group are paying $100-$300 on average for different levels of cable service, and their are overt slowness flaws for technology in 2012, you can bet that we are gonna report it.  If these rates were like back in the 90's when it was just cable for $40 a month (remember those times?) I and others might not care so much.  But with the rates at $100 or more each month there is a certain level of expectation for today's technology.  The TWC keyboard fails to meet that level of expectation.

A reasonable fast keyboard across the boxes, which the new guide has yet failed to produce is just as important to me as your claim on TWC violating the FCC regulation of disabling a DVR's external ports.  The more people that report issues, the more likely they will be considered in future software upgrades.

Jack

popegreg

I've got an SA-8300HD (non OCAP) and I'm not seeing any lag time at all when searching.  I tried M then L then B then selected MLB Baseball and looked at the listings.  Less than a second for each step for me.

I'm also not seeing the issue with the date not changing in the Time Grid.

So not all legacy boxes are affected, my box is even older than the 8300HDC.

Jack 1000

Quote from: popegreg;58647I've got an SA-8300HD (non OCAP) and I'm not seeing any lag time at all when searching.  I tried M then L then B then selected MLB Baseball and looked at the listings.  Less than a second for each step for me.

I'm also not seeing the issue with the date not changing in the Time Grid.

So not all legacy boxes are affected, my box is even older than the 8300HDC.

Great!

Two reasins to still have an SA-8300HD (no C) box:

1.) Faster Keyboard Search
2.) External Drive Support

Jack

Jack 1000

In Testing Keyboard Speed Differences With The Multiple Title Listings-(Update)

So far,

The tests show the legacy "C" model boxes as being extremely slow with extensive Title Search Keyboard Listings of the same title.

BUT I just got a report that the MODERN Samsung 3260 was EVEN SLOWER on the "MLB Keyboard Listing Test" than my SA-8300HDC!!! Cisco has a 4250HDC that is very slow and he said he was afraid to try it on that box!!!!

Everyone just keep testing this out on the different boxes like you've been doing! Thanks! Make sure you give your box make and model number if you are reporting slowness issues on the keyboard with the new guide to TWC

So far, the Speedy box winners with returning keyboard search results quickly, are the the latest model Cisco 8742HDC and the very, very old, but has always been fast SA-8300HD (no C box.)

The mystery is why the HDC boxes are so slow with the same title keyboard listings as the listings are increased? And just as baffling, how a modern SAMSUNG, the 3260 would be terribly slow with the multiple same title keyboard listings?

Jack

skier8734

On my Samsung 3270 the search is almost unusable with how slow it is, you type a letter in and it takes 9 sec. before you can move to the next letter.

Jack 1000

A Heads up to any TWC Tech Engineers Responsible for Updates to the STB Guide:

(If you are reading these boards)

On the ODN STB's several areas of New York City and vicinity released ODN version 5.2.09, which is a bug fix for ODN version 5.2.07  the fixes include:

• Faster keyboard searches-No more lag with multiple title listings!  (or very little.)
  • Improved channel changing speeds.
  • No more lag when scrolling the Time Grid to get the program information to change in the left-hand corner.
  • Other bug-fixes in stability and performance.

Please release this software patch version ODN 5.2.09 ASAP to Milwaukee and SE Wisconsin areas, to fix the search slowness with the keyboard.  Keyboard searches are now almost impossible and the slowness of the keyboard on ODN boxes, is very frustrating in using the guide.

Jack

ddeerrff

Jack 1000

Hi Everyone,

Our ODN boxes (C Model SA/Ciscos) got a software update that should improve keyboard searches and overall navigaton.  I tried it and it is MUCH BETTER!

We were upgraded from ODN 5.2.07 to 5.2.09.

Jack

grenier

We got the update too.
Cisco 8640HDC

ddeerrff

My Samsung box got the update to _09.  Channel change response better, but still nothing to write home about.   What are they running in these boxes, an 8008?

Jack 1000

Quote from: ddeerrff;58844My Samsung box got the update to _09.  Channel change response better, but still nothing to write home about.   What are they running in these boxes, an 8008?

Comments on the ODN Update (ODN 5.2.09)

On my SA-8300HDC the keyboard is now so much better!  You key a letter and there is no more than a half-second between when you keyed in the letter and when it shows on the screen.

The Loading Data is faster, but sometimes takes up to five or six seconds to show.  But once the listings are there for the keyboard, it's pretty fast.  I'm taking about keyboard speeds comparable to the no c SA-8300 (MDN box.)

The Time Grid Scroll is about the same.  That wasn't really a problem in the first place.  It's not super-fast, but was never overly slow.

Occasionally, there is guide lag where when you move from one cell to the other in the Grid, the left-hand corner does not change.  You must move back to the previous cell, than on the cell for the programing in the left hand corner to change.

Day/Date Data in the Time Grid:  With the release of ODN 5.2.09 both change with the trick of doing the following:

1.) Opening up the Guide to the Time Grid.

2.) Pressing the right arrow key than the number of days you want to advance the guide.

3.) ODN 5.2.07 had the bug where when you did the arrow trick, the data would change but not the day.  ODN 5.2.09 fixes this bug.

4.) Responses to setting up recordings is almost instantaneous.  I'm talking about the Record This Show.......Record Series.........Record Show With Options.

5.) No HDMI "Mode Not Supported" Problems yet.  Although I had only one with ODN 5.2.07 as it was.  If your Video Source Button is programmed to accept other output.  "Google Search your remote name and model number to find out how to program it for your TV and other optional equipment.)

If your Video Source button is programed for this, just hit the button to cycle through the video modes to go through and back to the cable/STB mode next time you get a Mode Not Supported Error through HDMI cables.  You will get your picture and sound back without rebooting!

Jack

superkingt

Hey, I'm new here, and this might sound like a dumb question, but how do I find out what version of Navigator my box is running? I tried looking through some of the menus, but I didn't see anything that looked like a version number.