News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Time Warner/TM4 carriage dispute

Started by mrschimpf, Monday Jun 24, 2013, 10:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gparris

Quote from: Jack 1000;59676Is it known how much revenue WTMJ is losing every day by not being on TWC?

Jack

JBG will do whatever it takes to make it look like TWC's fault, never admit that it is losing ad revenue based on lost viewers and continue its rhetoric until either one caves in. CBS claims it hasn't lost much of anything, even with over 3 million TWC subs not watching, unless they went the antenna route, which I doubt many have, IMO.
What I believe is that both have lost much ad revenue, they are hurting badly, but they will never show those "cards" on the negotiating table.

gparris

Engadget HD has shown the announcement about CBS and TWC ending their dispute, but no details were given, but I wonder what they were? Did TWC cave much?
I am waiting for my Showtime and The Movie Channel credits to appear on my next billing cycle, Smithsonian Channel to reappear, too, no credit due because it is  part of the HD package, sad to say.
Will Journal Broadcast Group or " JBG"(for NBC channels 4 and 1004 and in my case, Chicago channel 5 for NBC) come back anytime soon, also? You never know until it happens.:huh?:

mrschimpf

Quote from: Jack 1000;59676Is it known how much revenue WTMJ is losing every day by not being on TWC?

Jack

For now I suspect it's not much; we haven't been back to the lowest point in 2009 where Hydroxtone advertised half the day on TMJ. Once they get into the fall network season (not even going to try to look at their low syndication revenue, which will plunge once OK!TV, which is stuck in graveyard slots elsewhere, begins), that's when we'll know for sure. But with both the CBS dispute and Packers pre-season legs of the stool gone, Journal is looking worse every day this goes on, and WISN is probably reaping most of the rewards (switching out Anderson with Bethenny in their lowest profile slot is very low risk).

jrh1985

Quote from: mrschimpf;59684For now I suspect it's not much; we haven't been back to the lowest point in 2009 where Hydroxtone advertised half the day on TMJ. Once they get into the fall network season (not even going to try to look at their low syndication revenue, which will plunge once OK!TV[/i], which is stuck in graveyard slots elsewhere, begins), that's when we'll know for sure. But with both the CBS dispute and Packers pre-season legs of the stool gone, Journal is looking worse every day this goes on, and WISN is probably reaping most of the rewards (switching out Anderson with Bethenny in their lowest profile slot is very low risk).

Where is OK!TV going on TMJ4? It's not on Zap2it.com yet. It's just a show right?? Not a channel???

mrschimpf

Quote from: jrh1985;59687Where is OK!TV going on TMJ4? It's not on Zap2it.com yet. It's just a show right?? Not a channel???

Thankfully not a channel (though it's airing on Reelz also). I suspect in the 2pm slot where AHL is now on September 9, but I really am not sure because of course, OK!TV is the runt of this year's syndication litter and doesn't even have a website so I can't confirm until TMJ actually puts it in their listings.

grenier

TWC stopped the free Starz preview.
Cisco 8640HDC

mrschimpf

Quote from: grenier;59694TWC stopped the free Starz preview.

It was only allowed for a month from what I read; sadly the Hallmark Movie Channel (more like the Murder She Wrote Network) is pretty much the go-to by Time Warner for filling in a disputed channel; the few days WISN was off TWC, that's what also was carried. Expect Great American Country to also get a go-around too if this goes longer.

Oh, and OK!TV is the 2:30pm show this year. At 2pm, Let's Ask America, which was Scripps's way to ditch Wheel and Jeopardy on their stations for cheap, is airing in that slot this year. I pretty much expect Katie and the Fox 6 court block to again win those timeslots through the year.

Jack 1000

Quote from: grenier;59694TWC stopped the free Starz preview.

TWC's contract ran out for the free preview.  I think Starz expected an agreement to be reached by now.  Hallmark Movie Channel replaces the Starz free preview.  It seems that the only concern is the loss of Football.  The problem is most of WTMJ's content is local news and weather.  You can get that from other stations.  It is not needed to have WTMJ to find out local news and weather.

WTMJ-4's, local community programing still does not warrant the rate increase they are seeking.  Another sticking point is TWC's decision to move the longtime channel 4 location and give it to Game Show Network. (GSN)  TWC says if a deal is reached, WTMJ will likely NOT come back to channel 4(SD)/1004(HD).  Journal Broadcasting believes it was not a good business practice to "sell" channel 4's spot on TWC.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Jack 1000

budda

While both are hurt a little by the dispute in how much money each gets to keep. TW is in a way better position. JMO Almost nobody reads the paper. AM radio has a small market and profit margin. And more then half of there TV audience doesn't get  there shows/content.:bang:

grenier

Quote from: Jack 1000;59696It seems that the only concern is the loss of Football.

That's the only thing that I'm irritated about.
Cisco 8640HDC

Talos4

What loss of football?

PQ was substantially better against what I'm usually offered.

Personally, Sunday night's between September and February are the only time I need that channel.

I keep my rabbit ears behind the TV and it works just fine. (you mileage may vary)

techguy1975

Are the two sides even talking at this point?

Jack 1000

This article from about five days ago, says that there have been new active developments in negotiations and both sides are talking.  As of today, September 11, 2013, it is the latest that I have found:

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/20130906/APC03/309060386/NBC-blackout-talks-take-new-tone

Jack

PS.  It's for the Up North areas of Wisconsin, their "Channel 4" is Channel 26, but the negotiation updates apply to Milwaukee WTMJ-4 as well.

PONIES

Has anyone else noticed an awful lot of game shows popping up on NBC lately?

America's Got Talent? Million Dollar Quiz? Hollywood Game Night?

I think Time Warner was trying to tell us something by replacing NBC with the Gameshow Network.