News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC Navigator/Box Updates

Started by Jack 1000, Tuesday Aug 03, 2010, 04:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack 1000

Quote from: grenier;59792I have a Cisco 8640HDC box, the PIP is now closer to the corners of the screen, it used to be closer to the center of the screen. I see no difference with the search screens. The VOD screen is messed up, it's not in HD, so it's cut off on the sides. Maybe I need to change a setting somewhere.

I have it figured out but I'm hoping someone can help with a box setting. Under Picture Size, there are three options, Normal, Stretch and Zoom, I had it set to Normal and it was causing the problem I mentioned. Does that setting only apply to SD programming? It didn't seem to change the HD picture.

Yes.  Picture size applies only to the SD stations:

Normal: Retains  the aspect ratio of 4x3 SD with sidebars.

Stretch: Expands the picture to simulate a 16x9 screen with some mid distortion because of the sizing.  Makes everything fit.  (Many use this setting as the default, others hate it, and select "Normal.")

Zoom: Simulates a 16x9 screen with no distortion, but the very top and bottom of the images are cut off.

The new search and VOD features are only out in selected markets. (And only for the newer boxes.)  How is the new DVR Management List?  I found a bug on the SA-8300HDC.  The A button for Find Shows, yes it now gives the name of the show and not just the channel number.  But the Info button does not work on this screen, even if there is more information about the show.

The new search and VOD ports are server-based, and this release has the software that preps the qualifying boxes for that. However, the new search and VOD functions must be activated  by the Master System Operator at the head end.  The division must also be ready for this first cloud simulated feature.  Some divisions got it about four days after the new software update and some won't for awhile.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

grenier

Thanks Jack, looks like I'm going to have to go with Stretch with the new HD menu.

There is no change with the DVR management, it's exactly the same on my box.

My box rebooted earlier, sometime around noon. I had a recording going and five minutes is missing.
Cisco 8640HDC

grenier

I've noticed with the latest update that the hard drive in my box spins down. The box is totally silent a short time after I turn it off and you can hear the hard drive start up when I turn the box on.

It used to do this all the time, one of the past updates did something that had the hard drive running almost constantly.
Cisco 8640HDC

grenier

I found a bug with the update, at least with my box. After a reboot, the DVR Compensation settings keep going back to "Normal".
Cisco 8640HDC

Talos4

About the only thing I can say about the update on my 8300 HDC is the return of DVR Compensation. Thank You.

Other than that, meh.

My two Samsung boxes have the new guide and I like it. Much easier to read not mention the larger listing.

However my DVR is on my main display in the loft and it would have been nice to be able to have the new HD guide there.

I remain astonished that TWC is so far behind in updating their "flagship" equipment. They are basically blackmailing me by insisting I sign up for their "whole home" system to get a "newer" DVR, larger capacity etc.  Yes I know I can add an external SATA drive but, that can be hit or miss as to whether it works correctly.

TWC has me by the proverbial short hairs. Uverse isn't available in my area, Not much of a choice there either. SAT is not an option, no LOS.

It isn't even a matter of money, I'm more than willing to pay for content which we enjoy. But when I'm using stone knives and bearskins to receive it....  

It was much better when I was a homeowner. At least I had choices.

I really miss Directv.

duncantuna

Talos -

I felt your pain.

As I posed above, I tried to get a new DVR .. I succeeded.

Long story short, my 8300HDC died one night (although worked the next day) and I took the opportunity to swap it at a TWC store.   When they hauled out another 8300HDC, I begged for mercy.

The CSR checked, but no new inventory was to be had.  So she gave me her business card and told me to email her to check later.  So I did.  10 days later, she says she has a Motorola dcx3510-m, and I pick it up.

I think this is brand spanking new.  500Gb drive, and very snappy.  Huge upgrade from the 8300HDC.   I imagine the "-m" might indicate Multi-room, but I do not have that service.

The moral of the story is .. find a friendly CSR, ask them for their email address and with some persistence, you might luck out.

Jack 1000

Quote from: duncantuna;59802Talos -

I felt your pain.

Long story short, my 8300HDC died one night (although worked the next day) and I took the opportunity to swap it at a TWC store.   When they hauled out another 8300HDC, I begged for mercy.

The CSR checked, but no new inventory was to be had.  So she gave me her business card and told me to email her to check later.  So I did.  10 days later, she says she has a Motorola dcx3510-m, and I pick it up.

I think this is brand spanking new.  500Gb drive, and very snappy.  Huge upgrade from the 8300HDC.   I imagine the "-m" might indicate Multi-room, but I do not have that service.

The moral of the story is .. find a friendly CSR, ask them for their email address and with some persistence, you might luck out.

Thanks for the updates!  I was gonna ask you Duncantuna how the new DVR is working?  However, same old situation applies.  It's exactly what you guys have said.  Either sign up for a Whole House DVR program to get a modern box, or good luck.  And for $150-$300 a month price ranges, it seems like customers should get something better than luck with regards to the video technology.

Consider what's out there with the hardware and software from Direct TV, Dish Network and U-Verse, the "newer boxes" from TWC aren't that new at all.  This is 2014.  Every single TWC customer on the planet,  regardless of level of service,  SHOULD have the following DVR options offered to them as a given:

A minimum of a 500GB to a 1TB hard drive.

A minimum of a four tuner DVR for all DVR boxes.

Searches for both DVR and non-DVR boxes should be able to find anything and everything: Cast Members, keywords, Titles, Themes, the works.

VOD cover art.

An HD guide customizable for smaller screens or for those with SD sets.

The ability to set up wish lists in searches where the DVR can set to auto record shows and series of a customers' interest, with the option to turn that off and just have a reminder option.

If TWC really wants to make these DVR's fly and get video services up to their great phone and Internet Technology, they need to start providing these types of services for all.  Not just Whole Home Subs. Many cable operators are still working with, and giving out, this eight to ten year old technology.  (Charter's I-Guide is reportedly WORSE and goes back ten years on some of the boxes!)

RCN Cable is one smaller company out of a few cities and they have a sliding scale of boxes where you can get non-DVR to a cable company DVR to a Tivo.  Now, I know that Tivo has its  issues, and RCN charges about $20 a month extra for it. but at least RCN has the OPTION to give more modern technology to all.  Look at their box/DVR choices here: (This site is their area  out of Chicago.)

http://www.rcn.com/chicago/digital-cable-tv/equipment

Jack

Jack 1000

Bugs Found With This Release:

DVR Compensation back to Normal after power cycle-On my box, it happened, but the Diags screen did not show that a reboot had actually occurred.  

Text sometimes jumbles together after first "B" search session.  Workaround is to scroll to another area of the screen when this happens.  Possible workaround may be to wait several seconds before beginning the search.

Info Button does not function on Find Shows Screen
Find Shows, "A" button gives show title information now, not just channel numbers. Info button does not work on Find Shows Screen when more information is available.

Jack

grenier

Quote from: Jack 1000;59804Bugs Found With This Release:

DVR Compensation back to Normal after power cycle-On my box, it happened, but the Diags screen did not show that a reboot had actually occurred.  

In addition to the DVR Compensation going back to normal, I've been having the Power On channel occasionally revert back to 100 (or whatever the default channel is after a reboot).

It happened again this morning, and there wasn't a reboot
Cisco 8640HDC

Jack 1000

Quote from: grenier;59805In addition to the DVR Compensation going back to normal, I've been having the Power On channel occasionally revert back to 100 (or whatever the default channel is after a reboot).

It happened again this morning, and there wasn't a reboot

I think that happened the same time as the DVR Compensation back to normal thing.  Although I can't say for sure if they are yet part of the same cause and effect.

Jack

grenier

Quote from: Jack 1000;59806I think that happened the same time as the DVR Compensation back to normal thing.  Although I can't say for sure if they are yet part of the same cause and effect.

The DVR Compensation thing has happened independent of the channel thing.
Cisco 8640HDC

Danno321

Quote from: duncantuna;59802Talos -

I felt your pain.

Sounds like a Kafka novel.  I cut the cable.  TWC is evil.

grenier

My Channel Guide isn't showing anything past this upcoming Thursday, that's irritating.
Cisco 8640HDC

grenier

It still hasn't updated. I've had this issue in the past but it's never been this long, it was usually just a day or two delay.
Cisco 8640HDC

grenier

All of the channels from 01 - 846 are missing from the Channel Guide lineup. The actual channels are available, they just aren't in the listing. They disappeared sometime yesterday afternoon.

It's weird.
Cisco 8640HDC