News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC Audio Isues

Started by Talos4, Monday Aug 22, 2011, 08:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talos4

I've had an issue crop up and need some help.

I moved my 8300 HDC DVR to a different room.

I hooked it up and fired up my A/V receiver and the DD audio is breaking up.

The original STB in this location was hooked directly to the receiver via coaxial audio and HDMI to the TV with no problems.

This was a straight swap. No changes in settings on the receivers or STB's.

In it's previous location, the DVR was hooked up to an A/V receiver via coaxial and Component video with no issues.

I tried an optical connection no change. Removed the HDMI connection and went with component. No change.

I tried running the audio through the TV from the STB and then to the receiver. Same problem.

In order to verify any issues with the receiver, I get clear DD audio on the receiver from the TV OTA and DVD player.

Only issue is the DVR.

The receiver having the issue is an older Sony STR-DE597 and it was fine until the swap.  

Suggestions?

Jack 1000

Quote from: Talos4;57744I've had an issue crop up and need some help.

I moved my 8300 HDC DVR to a different room.

I hooked it up and fired up my A/V receiver and the DD audio is breaking up.

The original STB in this location was hooked directly to the receiver via coaxial audio and HDMI to the TV with no problems.

This was a straight swap. No changes in settings on the receivers or STB's.

In it's previous location, the DVR was hooked up to an A/V receiver via coaxial and Component video with no issues.

I tried an optical connection no change. Removed the HDMI connection and went with component. No change.

I tried running the audio through the TV from the STB and then to the receiver. Same problem.

In order to verify any issues with the receiver, I get clear DD audio on the receiver from the TV OTA and DVD player.

Only issue is the DVR.

The receiver having the issue is an older Sony STR-DE597 and it was fine until the swap.  

Suggestions?

What happens when you just hook up the DVR to the TV and leave the receiver out of the picture?  If that works OK, than it might be an issue with the receiver and the DVR.

If that doesn't work, check audio settings on the DVR and receiver to see if anything was accidentally changed.  TWC sometimes pushes software updates without warning, so a setting on the DVR/reviver might have been changed.

If that doesn't work, I would turn off the TV, DVR, and receiver and than unplug each one for about five minutes.  After plugging in each one, power up each one.  Wait for the box to boot up and for the time to display on the box for 30 seconds, before turning the TV back on.  Now see if that solves the problem.  I will refer this issue to my cable engineering contact if it does not and see what he says.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Talos4

Quote from: Jack 1000;57754What happens when you just hook up the DVR to the TV and leave the receiver out of the picture?  If that works OK, than it might be an issue with the receiver and the DVR.

If that doesn't work, check audio settings on the DVR and receiver to see if anything was accidentally changed.  TWC sometimes pushes software updates without warning, so a setting on the DVR/reviver might have been changed.

If that doesn't work, I would turn off the TV, DVR, and receiver and than unplug each one for about five minutes.  After plugging in each one, power up each one.  Wait for the box to boot up and for the time to display on the box for 30 seconds, before turning the TV back on.  Now see if that solves the problem.  I will refer this issue to my cable engineering contact if it does not and see what he says.

Jack

OK,

I have not tried the sound on the TV itself to see if that's effected.

The first thing I did was check the audio settings on the DVR. Those were unchanged.

Changing the A/V receiver to 2 channel output works fine. DD not so much.

I have not done a cold boot on the DVR or receiver yet. I'll have to try that after work tonight.

I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks Jack.

Talos4

Tried all of the suggestions ... No Joy.

Everything else with a digital output works fine with the A/V receiver except the STB.

Talos4

This thread hasn't generated much traffic but I have an update,,,

The Sony receiver just will not output dolby digital no way no how. I did a factory reset on it and still only PCM from the TWC STB.

Out with the Sony and tried an older dusty Onkyo receiver from my original HTIB that I recently found I still had.

Hooked it up fired it up and viola! DD from the STB.

In doing a bit research on the Sony, I wasn't able to pin down the actual reason, it seems a number of Sony AV receivers have this issue with no real resolution to be found. Not with just TWC STB's but also with D* and Cox STB's.

I never really liked the Sony but, this was my secondary viewing room and wanted some nice 3.0 sound.  

Seeing that the Sony will only do PCM, it's going to be relegated to PC duty.