News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Whats Next?

Started by techguy1975, Monday Oct 17, 2016, 11:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techguy1975

Now that the move is complete, and things seem to be working, at least as well as they were before the move, I'll share my thoughts on what to do next.   For the short term, I'll be leaving things as is.   At some point in the not too distant future, I may try migrating from the current forum software to something else.   The current software is out-dated, and has it's quirks.  Updating to a newer version of vBulletin (the current forum software) is expensive, and it's success isn't guaranteed.   I'm also not a expert by any means in programming.   Don't worry, I will fully back everything up, and if the conversion doesn't go well, I can always roll things back to where we are now.

I welcome your thoughts, feel free to email me at bob@milwaukeehdtv.org

Tom Snyder

Yup! Bob came to the rescue! The server the site was on was dying, and so many times my finger was poised over the "Delete this Account" button over the past 2 years. I had one offer from someone to take over the site but it never materialized.

Bob contacted me last week and asked if he could take it over. He and worked to get the site moved over the weekend, and it is now enjoying a second life at a new location with Bob running the show.

I thank all the members who supported this site over the years, and really thank Bob for being willing to take it over.

-Tom
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

techguy1975

Thanks Paul,  I will take a look at that and see if it's something we can use.    My first order of business, trying to get the message boards active again.    While the HD conversion is now in our review mirror, and has been for awhile,  there is still plenty to talk about.  It's just getting people back here to talk about it!

I also want to thank Tom and his staff, and all the past users who built this community into what it is.    It's that legacy I wanted to save.  Call me sentimental, but I'd hate to see this vanish into the either, so that really is why I stepped up to take over.

I won't be making any immediate changes, of course I first need to let the dust settle,  but I'll be working on getting this on a solid path forward.   As I said in my post, I welcome any comments or suggestions.