News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

OTA issues esp. Ch. 58

Started by sunnyvista, Monday Jan 14, 2013, 08:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunnyvista

Hi,

New to this website and am enjoying it.  I recently ditched cable for OTA and got a Leaf Plus antenna.  Works well but occasionally the picture locks like you would see once in a while on sattelite.  Sometimes for long stretches everything is great and other times it can be somewhat annoying.  My main problem is with Channel 58.  ABC, NBC and FOX are fine. Since I live in Shorewood, I know the issue isn't reception but probably multipath.  My antenna is facing west towards the towers and is connected to my tv thru a coax cable.  The Leaf Plus antenna also allows for a separate "booster" to be plugged in to the wall.

Anyways, I was just wondering if anybody had any ideas on how to improve this.  I did reset my signal once and that worked well.  

Thanks!

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: sunnyvista;59097Anyways, I was just wondering if anybody had any ideas on how to improve this.  
I'm nearby.  I have an attic antenna in a cramped space.  My multipath problems seem to have improved since I installed my multipath shield.  But who knows.

Here's a photo of my extremely sophisticated multipath shield.   :)
http://www.milwaukeehdtv.org/forums/showpost.php?p=56563&postcount=9

If you have the time and space, here's the best I've seen, the garbage can approach.  
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~wn17/Web%20bill%20page%202.htm

His original design would probably work OK if protected from the weather.  

Also I've been told that this area is "under the umbrella" in terms of radiation patterns, so while the signal is not bad, those farther away may actually receive a better signal.  That, combined with  the strong multipath here, could make it more challenging that you might think.

techboy

Many stations have new transmitting antennas which are eliptical or circularly polarized.  So, you can try mounting your receiving antenna either vertically or at an angle in between V and H.  At near distance to the transmitter site, you can even try perpendicular.  At the frequiencies involved, a few feet one way or another can make a big difference also.  At your location, a simple bow tie may be quite effective.  I live just north of Estabrook park and find a simple bow tie works well for all but Ch's 8 and 5.  Since 8 is repeated on 36.1 it's not required and I don't mis 5.
Retired Broadcast TV / Radio Engineer WTMJ. ( 35 Yrs )