News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

I need a cheaper alternative to Road Runner internet !!

Started by Ralph Kramden, Friday Nov 30, 2012, 03:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: SRW1000;59016I also purchased a new modem (Motorola SB6121) tonight, to eliminate the rental charge.  My speed has gone from 7Mbps to 14Mbps, so I think there my have been something wrong with my old one.

Power cycling your leased modem might have had the same effect, due to their announcement about speed increases.  My speeds went from 10-12 Mbps to around 20 Mbps after I power-cycled my DPC2100.

Ralph Kramden

Earthlink told me that I just keep my modem from TWC. I have the Motorola SB5101 modem. Is that a good modem? Once in a while, I have to reset it, but that's about it.

duncantuna

FYI .. To eliminate RR's $4 modem fee, I bought a new SB6141 last week.  My SB51xx was rock solid .. the new one is terrible, and it reboots every 2-3 hours.  Having a tech come out on Thursday to see if they can fix the line.  Of course, it could be a bum modem.

So .. if Earthlink doesn't charge a modem fee, just keep your SB51xx.

SRW1000

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;59018Power cycling your leased modem might have had the same effect, due to their announcement about speed increases.  My speeds went from 10-12 Mbps to around 20 Mbps after I power-cycled my DPC2100.
I had tried that multiple times, but there was no effect.  

The new modem has been solid so far, but it's only been running for about 20 hours.  Speed is still registering around 14Mbps.

Scott

kevbeck122

The DOCSIS3 modems, such as the SB6121 / 6141 bond to multiple channels so that's why you may see a higher consistent speed on standard or turbo.  You do lose powerboost though with the DOCSIS3 modems... which isn't a huge deal anyways (20-30Mbps burst for 20-30 seconds?).  The DOCSIS2 modems (DPC2100, SB51xx, etc.) still get powerboost.

I've had the SB6141 (bought my own) on the Extreme 30Mbps service for a few weeks now and it's been solid, no connection issues.

duncantuna

Had a truck out today, they put in new coax from the pole, swapped out all the splitters with better ones.  Hopefully the SB6141 will stop rebooting 8-10x/day.  

So far, 9 hours no reboots.

murdoc

If anyone needs a modem let me know.  I have a Motorola SB6120 that's just over a year old.  No problems with it, but Charter just changed their policies and you can no longer provide your own modem.  Asking $80.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UI2FPE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Bebop

I called today to down grade my extreme service to Turbo. The person on the phone was kind enough to offer me $20 off extreme for the next 12 months to $62 a month.  I was told to call back after the 12 months and see if any other offer will be available at that time.

Give TW a call if your are paying full price for extreme or other service.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

VoltronMaximus

Im currently getting RR standard (up to 10mbs but speedtest shows 18-21mbs) for $35 and change with tax and with the lease fee. How did I pull this off? Dont deal with your local reps or call the 800 # provided on the website. You need to either call the number thats available in the junk mail adds the post office brings once a week or do an online chat through the website. The people at these destinations can give you some awesome deals. Now I just need to figure out a deal for pay tv. I got 3hdtvs, and need the total amount per month with internet to total no more than $100. I thought I had it figured out with TWC using my method, but best they could do is $120. Then I really thought I had a good deal by using DISH for tv and keeping RR, but it turns out DISH does not have our local FSWisconsin so no Brewers or Bucks games. Maybe someone here knows of a way I can make this happen.

brewtownska

I have one of the cheaper Dish packages (Dish America Silver) and get Brewers & Bucks games, Big Ten channels, and NFL Network.  The Dish America packages were always the "HD only" ones, and by going with Silver or Gold, you get the sports channels.
It's possible you didn't know that because Dish doesn't advertise FSN Wisconsin as a full-time channel, but they do turn on the games on all the alternate channels.  I think they list FSN North as the full-time channel, which shows all the MN games.  When games are on FSN North, they are commonly blacked out.
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

VoltronMaximus

Quote from: brewtownska;59035I have one of the cheaper Dish packages (Dish America Silver) and get Brewers & Bucks games, Big Ten channels, and NFL Network.  The Dish America packages were always the "HD only" ones, and by going with Silver or Gold, you get the sports channels.
It's possible you didn't know that because Dish doesn't advertise FSN Wisconsin as a full-time channel, but they do turn on the games on all the alternate channels.  I think they list FSN North as the full-time channel, which shows all the MN games.  When games are on FSN North, they are commonly blacked out.

Thanks. After doing research I discovered that. I already signed up to have dish installed. I chose the top250 package, the Hopper and 2 Joey receivers all for a total of $83. Combine that with my RR cost of $35 Im at $118, but I also have HuluPlus, which I will be cancelling, so Im down to $110. If the Blockbuster service is at least as good as Netflix, Ill cancel Netflix and be down to $102 a month. Definitely acceptable for my $100 price point. I also have a Boost mobile Android phone that Im down to $35 a month for unlimited talk, text, and data. When I didnt care about how much I was shelling out for these services years ago, I was paying over $400 a month. Now with a little research and shopping around, Im getting the same services, or better, and Im saving about $270 a month. It makes me wonder why I didnt do this sooner and more people aren't figuring this out for themselves.

William

I'm a bit confused about the TW/Earthlink relationship.  So if I have equipment which I am now renting from TW, if/when I switch to the cheaper service from Earthlink I keep the same equipment and lose said rental fee?  Do I cancel services with TW but keep the box, or is that handled by Earthlink?

Any insight is appreciated.  Thanks!

Ralph Kramden

I switched from TWC to Earthlink recently, and it couldn't have been easier. Not only did I keep the same equipment, they didn't even have to come out. The cancellation was handled by Earthlink also. I didn't even need to call TWC. I'm saving a good amount of money for the EXACT same service.

William

Quote from: Ralph Kramden;59041I switched from TWC to Earthlink recently, and it couldn't have been easier. Not only did I keep the same equipment, they didn't even have to come out. The cancellation was handled by Earthlink also. I didn't even need to call TWC. I'm saving a good amount of money for the EXACT same service.

Thanks RK.  Sounds like next week will be a good time for me to switch and save.