News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC Please Investigate Intermittent Loss of Picture on Channels 19, 1005, and 1012

Started by Jack 1000, Sunday Dec 19, 2010, 08:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack 1000

Quote from: Xizer;57370Summer planned additions?

Ooh, what channels is Time Warner planning on adding?

According to a letter included with my billing statement it says:

Lifetime HD
True TV HD
DIY HD
Crime and Investigation HD
Cooking Channel HD

Than they say more HD is coming later this year.  I am very happy with my current HD line up.  Actually, if this is going to put a strain on bandwidth, I would rather have the focus on a quality picture for those problematic channels above than more HD under an already strained for bandwidth system.

Other areas have or will soon be getting HBO on Demand-HD, which would be nice, but again, only on the condition that we DON'T have to endure HD channel pixiation and blank screens that come and go when new stations are added.

I say, work on those problematic stations and increase your bandwidth capacity first before adding any new stations.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Xizer

No OWN HD? Grrr.

Not switching from U-verse until they add it. Only AT&T and Dish Network carry it currently.

Jack 1000

Update:

Major improvements over the past several months with a new drop line and replacing a corroded cable.  However, it seems that between approximately 3- 5 am every 1-3 days, we are getting a signal pixiation and picture loss on

HD Channel 1012 (Channel 12-ABC)
HD Channel 1005 (Channel 58-CBS)
SD Channel 7/982 (Channel 41-WMLW)

City of Brookfield-Greenfield Heights sub division.

I can also report that channels 7/982 (duplicate stations) and channel 1005 almost always go out at the same time.  The problem temporarily gets resolved by morning, and than the cycle repeats.

Jack

Jack 1000

Brookfield-Greenfield Heights Subdivision

Is having issues with channels, 1005, and 1012, and 19 with a loss of picture on these stations.  The problem began on Friday, November 23, 2012  A COLD REBOOT OF THE BOX DID NOTHING.

The stations came back shortly for about two hours on Saturday, November 24, 2012 and are gone again.  (No picture.)

Jack

Jack 1000

Quote from: Jack 1000;58996Brookfield-Greenfield Heights Subdivision

Is having issues with channels, 1005, and 1012, and 19 with a loss of picture on these stations.  The problem began on Friday, November 23, 2012  A COLD REBOOT OF THE BOX DID NOTHING.

The stations came back shortly for about two hours on Saturday, November 24, 2012 and are gone again.  (No picture.)

Jack

Same issue with these channels tonight, December 28, 20012.  The stations are 19, 1005, and 1012.  Frozen and/or pixiated picture.  Please set up at least a 90 day monitoring of these channels for the Greenfield Heights sub-division in the city of Brookfield.  Thank you!

Jack

Jack 1000

TWC Brookfield-Greenfield Heights Sub Division Update

Picture loss on channels 19, 983, 1005, 1012.

For the past three years, this has been an occurrence in the following stations.  It happens about every three weeks to once a month.  Cold reboots most of the time do not help.  The above stations will be out for 1-2 days, than come back on the third day, going out three weeks to a month later.

The standard definition station equivalents of these stations (5 and 12) don't seem to be affected.  I wonder if system capacity is overloaded?

Please note that channel 7 and 1007 that used to be affected by this temporary outage, no longer seems to apply.

I would like to see on-going signal monitoring of these stations in this area.

Jack

Jack 1000

This issue has returned and has been an on-and off problem in the City of Brookfield, Greenfield Heights sub division for the past several years.  Box Swaps, drop-Line replacements, signal checks through the years, show things are fine, until the often early morning to afternoon hours.

The above channels in question are:

Channel 19
Channel 1005
Channel 1012

The problems returned a few weeks ago after several months of no issues with these stations.  Please note that it appears ONLY THESE STATIONS ARE AFFECTED.  Picture and sound quality is outstanding on other stations.

The issue seemed to come back as TWC was in the process of adding new channels for the 2014 Winter Olympics.  I think the head-end is maxed out for any new channel adds, and for some reason, the three stations above are always affected.  They go out at the same time, and come back at the same time.  The time that the stations go out can range from several hours to several days.  We than switch to the SD stations (channel 5, and channel 12) which have no issues.

This is the current heads up with these three channels. To emphasize, this problem intermittently occurs within the Greenfield Heights Sub Division, in the City of Brookfield.

Jack

Jack 1000

I found a new Navigator bug,

If you are watching a show where you had been recording it and it had been pixiating, and stops like half way through because the channel craps out, it will take FOREVER for the show to be deleted in the DVR List. (Up to a minute or more.) I know this because for the last six years, despite box swaps, drop pole changes and everything else checking out fine, we have about two or three stations where the HD stations' signal drops out for several hours to a day, only to come back later.

They are our HD stations on CBS (1005), ABC, (1012), and ME-TV (19.) Before the Winter Olympics, those stations were fine for many months, if not up to a year. Since adding channels for the Winter Olympics, the cycle repeats every three days or thereabouts, sometimes it will be fine for a week or more, and sometimes every three to four days. The issue always seems to be corrected rather quickly. I think because we have a whole bunch of SD channels and have NOT been converted to the national line-up that bandwidth may be an issue here.

When the station records a show with no break up, the deletion of recordings is very fast. It only seems to be the above stations that break up with this interval. In previous releases of the software, the speed of deleting a show was slick, whether it was pixiating or not.

Satch

gparris

In our neighbourhood, HD channels 1004 and 1006 like to go out in the late evening and suddenly reappear as if nothing happened. Channel 1224 and 1225 like to do the same thing but not at the same time the other 2 HD channels do and no one at TWC knows what is happening when I call, or so it seems. All I know is that once I call (sometimes) the channels reappear after I call and complain. Insane.

Jack 1000

I can say that those stations, 19, 1005, and 1012 is that they always go out and than come back at about the same time.  Speaking from experience, by the time any service guys come out,  they are working again as if nothing has happened.

Over the years, it seems to be an every few days kind of thing to every few months, but it always seems to be those three channels that are affected.  Trying to pin-point some non-randomness the issues often happen late at night say after 2am often on a weekend, and will last until about mid afternoon or so the next day, or maybe at MOST two days later..  Usually it's this twenty four hour cycle thing.  However, sometimes it can be awhile before the issue happens again.

I think its got something to do with bandwidth.  I am fairly certain that when the free preview Epix Channels get added mid March that I am expecting the drop-outs on channel's 19, 1005, 1012 every other day.  Once the new channels "settle into the system" I think the problem will be less.  I also think the problem will be less after the Olympics when those sub channels for the Olympics go away.  (i.e. duplicates of some NBC stations for easier access in the guide temporarily added.)

Satch

PS. Correction:  I meant the Epix channel free preview coming in March, not Encore, which is a part of TWC Movie Pass. It has been corrected.