News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Would you switch today?

Started by Gregg Lengling, Friday Jan 12, 2007, 07:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you leave TWC today for AT&T?

es, but with telephone and data also
53 (46.5%)
es, but just video and HDTV
30 (26.3%)
O
31 (27.2%)

Total Members Voted: 114

PaulKTF

Quote from: picopir8;44322AT&T is not dish, it is tv over your phone lines.

There are no contracts, no hidden fees (3 boxes w/ remotes are included in the price), they offer more SD and more HD than TWC, and their prices are lower than TWC or either dish.

Thank you, AT&T Spokesperson! :rolleyes:
-Paul

Quickened

Quote from: PaulKTF;44323Thank you, AT&T Spokesperson! :rolleyes:

heh heh. That got a chuckle out of me :)

As for the original topic I am still looking into comparing the services and packages. Currently we have TWC basic service.

As i am looking to the future to moving out with my Fiancee we will need a good package. Its hard because just about everyone i know has TWC so i am familiar with them. The ATT thing is new to me. If it wasnt for this forum i wouldnt have know about it honestly.

dj1111

We have Charter up here in Sheboygan so the question "would you switch today" could apply to us as well.  I just went through investigating the switch to u-verse.  In the end they couldn't touch the new 12 month deal Charter is giving me.  So they'll have to wait another year for me to look their way again.  Unless Charter really screws up.

UncleMeat

We made the switch to UVerse.  Have had it since December I think.  It's been sometimes good, sometimes horrible... Usually good/acceptable.

Anyway, now we are a month away from moving to Tosa.  The new place doesn't have UVerse available.  Not sure what to do.  Can't justify paying for Time Warner again.  Thinking about a dish, but we're not 100% sold just yet.

JeffreyC2007

I would switch in a heartbeat if i could...but it appears that they are avoiding the inner city neighborhoods...

after living in the Washington DC/Virginia area and being spoiled by Verizons Fios, it makes everything else look like a downgrade...even uverse...But i'm convinced uverse is better than twc.

Nels Harvey

Quote from: UncleMeat;45957Anyway, now we are a month away from moving to Tosa.  The new place doesn't have UVerse available.  Not sure what to do.  Can't justify paying for Time Warner again.  Thinking about a dish, but we're not 100% sold just yet.
I have Dish Network, and am very pleased.  The present setup here is for two DVR's, one SD, one HD.  Last night, with American Idol, Knight Rider, and some Fox News recordings, I had all four channels recording, while I watched one on delay, and was able to FF the commercials.

My experience with Dish has been great!  The real caveat is if you are able to make the two year commitment they want.  I read all of the problems with TWC, and some with Uverse , and appreciate the dependability of the Dish Network that I get.

I have found contacting the CSR's to be very helpful, and their service to a problem I had was fast and very satisfactory.  If you can put up a satellite dish where you are moving, I would suggest you give satellite TV a serious consideration!

Nels....
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

Mikey

I just did.

We got a mailer, and it seemed like U-Verse finally got up to Grafton...called em up and low and behold it just got here!

I currently have TWC HD with one DVR and High speed internet.  HD package but no movie channels.  $170/mo.

We signed up for U450 program (basically all their damn channels, and there are ALOT of em...HBO's et al galore), DSL service (the MAX line, 10Mbps download which I currently have the 7Mbps one from TWC) and adding a land line which I currently don't have.  Getting 3 total receivers and ATT has the "whole house DVR" so any set can record and watch any recorded show on any TV at any time...and I confirmed we'll get 2 HD streams here too.  Plus the Gateway which makes my house a wireless "hotspot" per se and also lets me hardwire 4 PCs to it as well.  Not to mention something like 85 HD channels...all for $188/mo.

So long as it works as intended, I already am loving my decision.  

God I hate TWC.

:D

ArgMeMatey

TW Basic:  $17.66 per month, including taxes and fees

AT&T U-Verse:  Nothing comparable

I told two pairs of the U-Verse door-to-door people to come back when they had something comparable to my bare bones TW package or a la carte.  

Duopoly is OK with both of them.  I realize they are not getting as rich as they used to but it's still too much to pay for the value.  

Although we get Digital QAM channels on TWC, I get more digital over the air, and prefer OTA because the program guide data is intact.  Plus, I find I have a very low tolerance for non-digital cable now.  

Unless it's really windy it's just not worth the trouble to push that air/cable button on the remote ... so at my house it's not so much TW vs. AT&T but $ vs. Free.

pgkuchar

I don't get AT&T out in Mukwonago, otherwise I would.  So I switched to Dish network to save some money on their HD bronze 100.  I probably saves me $30-$40 per month.

jkane

It has risen from the dead!

I thought Gregg had started this thread over.  :eek:

Xizer

Let me tell you this. I would switch to AT&T U-verse's Internet service in a heartbeat.

They currently offer 24/3 Mbps at the same price of Time Warner Cable's fastest package, 15/1 Mbps. It's pathetic. Time Warner better step up their game in the next few months or I'll be migrating...

gparris

Quote from: Xizer;55797Let me tell you this. I would switch to AT&T U-verse's Internet service in a heartbeat.

They currently offer 24/3 Mbps at the same price of Time Warner Cable's fastest package, 15/1 Mbps. It's pathetic. Time Warner better step up their game in the next few months or I'll be migrating...

Time Warner Cable's RoadRunner had better stop the outages, as in lately, as if you have a choice to get the service you describe (U-Verse, 24/3 Mbps), it would be a no-brainer for those with the choice.
I could kick myself for selling my  house 7 years ago and moving and rebuilding in an area without choices, but then again, at the time, U-Verse didn't exist, but my ATT phone service did...there...Verizon service without FIOS is a waste, IMO.

Now, where I currently live, phone and DSL is just TDS, which is so-so, 5 Mbps max up for DSL and peculiar phone service, but we still have TWC for internet (when it works) and TV service (thankfully).:)

Bebop

I just checked my address on ATT's site and 24/3 was not available. The 18/1 was. It's still better than TW's. They didn't specify the upload speed.

I don't know if it's a glitch?  I guess one can get the U-verse internet service without the TV package. But the installation fee is $150.

What kind of speed are you guys getting with their Max packages?

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

SVD

Turns out the node is about 1200 ft. from my living room.  Called TWC and ATT last night, took an hour to go over all the options and costs, and signed up for U-Verse.  Scheduled the install for Dec. 29th (lots of travel in the coming weeks).

Here's the deal:

I currently have TWC w/ one DVR, and HBO.  No other frills.  Cost: $110 / mo. (just renegotiated a $15 decrease last mo.   I also have ATT phone: $60 / mo., and ATT DSL w/ 3 MBPS DL speed: $35 / mo.  TOTAL: $205 / mo.

Switching to the U450 plan with ATT will bring my monthly bill for all three services down to $157 / mo. for months 1-6, $171 for months 7-12, and $215 / mo. if I make no decision to call or change anything in year 2.

IMPROVEMENTS IN SERVICE INCLUDE:
1. HDD space on DVR is tripled
2. 1.5 times the amount of HD stations
3. 12 MBPS DL speed for internet
4. All subscription movie channels included.
5. Whole house DVR on four different T.V.'s
6. Can record 4 different programs all in HD all at the same time.
7. Extra features like caller ID on the TV

I will try this for a year, and if they won't come down from the $215 / mo. in the second year, I'll either go down to the U200 service, or go back to TWC.

We shall see.