News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Wisconsin Assembly Bill 606 introduced

Started by ArgMeMatey, Wednesday Dec 09, 2009, 11:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArgMeMatey

Let your rep know if you have an opinion on AB606, which was introduced in Madison yesterday.  It changes a bunch of regulatory, PEG and other stuff, although I haven't read it yet.  Please post any interpretations you have.  

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2009/data/AB-606.pdf

Northern Fringe

From the WAPC (Wis. Ass'n. of PEG Channels) website, the bill accomplishes:

1. Act 42 fundamentals will still be in place

2. Improvements will be made to PEG access television's financial outlook, availabililty and transmission responsiblity.

3. Consumer protections will be strengthened.

4. Broadband development will be encouraged

It seems silly to me that the Dept. of Financial Institutions currently takes cable complaints and such... the new bill moves that responsibility to the Public Service Commission which seems like where it should've been in the first place.  

AB606 also protects local PEG channels from disappearing.  Now more than ever we need to keep an eye on our local government meetings, and these channels are the way to do that.  

In my read of it, AB606 is an improvement over what "TV4Us" (AT&T) convinced Madison was best two years ago.  Where are the lower prices they promised?