News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Circuit City HD DVD sale start March 2

Started by vertigo, Friday Feb 29, 2008, 04:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vertigo

Here's the list. Check out the part that says "may vary by store." Wonder how CC will define that?

Buy Three And Get 2 Free // In store only // Purchases Must Be On The Same Receipt // Titles may vary by store

The Bourne Ultimatum
Transformers
Disturbia
The Kingdom
Shooter
M: I: III
Smokin' Aces
The Fast & The Furious: Tokyo Drift
King Kong
Flags Of Our Fathers
Stardust
I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry
Knocked Up: Unrated

They are also $29.95 each, so once you purchase 3 that's $89.85 before tax. That's $17.97 per disc. You be the judge...

Ralph Kramden

flash

Don't get me wrong, since I have an HD DVD player but, buying movies from a dead tech at those prices should be better.
$5 or less would be more appropriate.

How much would you pay for the VHS edition of Star Wars?

SRW1000

Quote from: flash;44881Don't get me wrong, since I have an HD DVD player but, buying movies from a dead tech at those prices should be better.
$5 or less would be more appropriate.

How much would you pay for the VHS edition of Star Wars?
While HD DVD will not be supported anymore, there's a huge difference quality between HD DVD and either VHS and DVD.

A price range of $10 - $15 per title seems like a pretty solid value for these movies, which puts them in the typical DVD range.  $5 seems a little unrealistic, unless you're looking at used discs or weak movies.

Considering that it may be a while before they appear on Blu-ray, and for all intents and purposes they're just as good as the BD counterparts (some are actually better - 300 for example), there's still good value in these discs, especially if you already own a player.

Scott

Bebop

Unless the price is about the same as renting a movie, I would not buy it either.  I might as well use the money toward a BR version of disk. I don't want to keep two players around. And what if your HD DVD player breaks in the future? The disk might last forever, but the player might not.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

SRW1000

Quote from: Bebop;44895And what if your HD DVD player breaks in the future? The disk might last forever, but the player might not.
There are a couple of options.

Toshiba stated that they would still support players for the next eight years, which should be long enough the make it to the next newest and greatest format, so having them repair it would be one solution.

At the prices for players these days, a secondary or backup unit can be bought for under $80.  You can enjoy HD movies in two rooms, and decrease your chances of being stuck with unplayable movies at the same time.

The third option is eBay.  There will probably always be players out there, even if they are used.

Scott

gparris

Agreed, that's why I bought a HD DVD recently and am still glad I got the A3 for the holidays-it's still a good HD DVD player backup unit and it upconverts my DVDs nicely.;)

Unless I find a really great price ($10-14) for an HD DVD on a disc I don't want to wait for it to come out on Blu-ray, I won't buy anymore, either.:D

Steve Mann

Quote from: SRW1000;44896[...]

At the prices for players these days, a secondary or backup unit can be bought for under $80.  You can enjoy HD movies in two rooms, and decrease your chances of being stuck with unplayable movies at the same time.

I used this option and picked up an A3 to serve as a back up to my existing A2. At 80 bucks, it seemed like a resonable solution.

I'm now wondering if I should put the A2 away and use the A3. Is there an easy answer as to which is the better unit? I'm feeding my Panny AX100u via HDMI and optical out to the Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver.

Any thoughts?
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AX200U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
1 - HR20-100 DirecTV HD PVR
1 - HR24-500 DirecTV HD PVR
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

gparris

Steve Mann, the A3 does not send out DTS @1.5Mbps like the A1 and A2 models do with DD+ HD DVDs
- only 640Kbps for audio (max.) using the optical toslink digital audio connection.

As I understand it, your AVR does not have HDMI for audio, so the higher res audio will be more limiting using the A3 than the A2 unit.
-Hope I am helping you out (and got this right).:blush:

Steve Mann

Quote from: gparris;44906Steve Mann, the A3 does not send out DTS @1.5Mbps like the A1 and A2 models do with DD+ HD DVDs
- only 640Kbps for audio (max.) using the optical toslink digital audio connection.

As I understand it, your AVR does not have HDMI for audio, so the higher res audio will be more limiting using the A3 than the A2 unit.
-Hope I am helping you out (and got this right).:blush:

Thanks! That's exactly that I was looking for. I thought I had heard this, but couldn't seem to find it searching. As I'm very happy with my A2 picture and sound, I'll continue to use it and take advance of the higher res audio.

Thanks again!
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AX200U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
1 - HR20-100 DirecTV HD PVR
1 - HR24-500 DirecTV HD PVR
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

SRW1000

I went the backup route, also.  A brand new, A35 for $150 was just too good to pass up, plus it came with seven movies.  Now I'm stuck with an extra copy of 300, but I'm sure I'll find a home for it.

My XA1 will be handed off to the wife for her room, where it will be used occasionally and be ready to sub for any failures of the A35.

I've bought more HD DVD titles in this past month then I had the prior eight.  Now that the war is over, I'm hoping to see more in the $10 range, but one wonders how much supply remains.

Scott

vertigo

In my book 1080p is 1080p.  I've taken warner and paramount discs that were were on both formats, brought my buddy's blu-ray player over and we compared them.  Can't tell the difference.  So dispite the fact that HD DVD may be done in the US I will still buy movies as long as there are good titles available.  I will also continue to import titles from europe, japan, australia, and china where HD DVD is strong.  At around 25 bucks with shipping included, I can get blu-ray exclusive movies for cheaper than the blu-ray disc.

I know this deal isn't that great, they're still 30 bucks a peice for 3 (which averages to about 18 for all 5), but I thought some people might be interested.

flash

Quote from: vertigo;44911I know this deal isn't that great, they're still 30 bucks a peice for 3 (which averages to about 18 for all 5), but I thought some people might be interested.

It still is a great deal for getting awesome quality movies. Keep the good deals coming. :rock: