News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DOCSIS 3 modems in MKE market

Started by ArgMeMatey, Wednesday Apr 17, 2013, 03:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArgMeMatey

Looking for your opinions and info.  

I read something about DOCSIS 3 modems giving better performance at peak hours due to better channel bonding capability.  Is this a relevant factor in the Milwaukee market?  Currently I've got an old Cisco that I bought to replace my leased Cisco.  

Previous threads have mentioned arcane technical problems with the SB6141 while asserting that the Ubee as well as the Zoom 5341J are superior.  

Another concern is that if problems do arise with the firmware of the CPE, neither the manufacturer nor Time Warner will upgrade it.  

Thanks in advance.

duncantuna

I switched to the SB6141 in November.  To answer your first question about speed .. I assume I'm in a neighborhood where most people have RR.  I never noticed any speed issues during peak times .. so upgrading from a DOCSIS 2 to 3 modem didn't make any difference to me.

HOWEVER.  It should be noted that "PowerBoost" is only turned on for DOCSIS 2 modems.  So before, I could get 22-25 down (admittedly in short bursts) .. with the SB6141, I am at a very constant 14.

As for firmware .. I went through a long saga with TWC of having my SB6141 reboot 10-12x per day.  They replaced the coax from the pole to my house, and it went down to rebooting 3-5x per day.  So I bought a 2nd SB6141 .. same problem.

After getting the attention and interest of a tier 3 tech, he sent me a TWC owned SB6141 and had it split off, running side by side with mine.  Same hardware, same firmware.  

The experiment was interesting, in that, the TWC modem was rock solid, while mine rebooted 3x per day.  Strangely, after about 2 weeks, the rebooting stopped.  

The Tier 3 guy had no idea what happened.   I sent back the TWC owned modem (and was credited for all the expenses of their experiment.)

While they claimed TWC would never flash a firmware .. my guess was that at some point, they did.  Even though the firmware versions were identical at all times, there's no way my modem, after rebooting 5x per day for 4 months .. suddenly stopped .. without TWC doing something.    The Tier 3 guy thought even though the firmware #s were the same, there might have been something different, regardless.

Anyhow .. my story ends with a modem that works fine now.

Bebop

I'm thinking about getting the 6141, then read about the possible firmware issue. Anyone else with a 6141?

Right now the modem is around $75. It will pay for itself in less than 2 years

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

LoadStar

I bought a 6141, and it's been solid for me. Looking at the logs, which go back to March 7, it looks like there was a reboot triggered by a T4 timeout on March 27, but that's it.

Bebop

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Bebop

What's the firmware on your SB6141?

I heard the white one has the latest firmware. I just got my black one and it has 1.0.6.3-Aug 18 2011. I haven't activated it yet. I'm wondering if I should get the white one instead?

Thanks for any help.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

ddeerrff

From what I have been reading on DSLReports, the white one has firmware version 1.0.6.8.  But don't worry, TWC will reflash it to 1.0.6.3 as soon as they notice.

duncantuna

I spoke to a number of people at TWC about the firmware for the SB6141.

Firstly, while there is an August 2012 firmware, TWC in Wisconsin does NOT use it.  Their most current firmware in use is Aug 2011.

Second, they will NOT flash firmware on a customer owned modem.  

Obviously Motorola believes the 2012 firmware solves some problems .. if I were buying one (again) the white retail one has been rumored to have the 2012 firmware.

PONIES

duncan my saga with the SB6141 was similar to yours. Had a lead tech out and everything and they were dumbfounded as to how to fix the T3 timeout errors. You'd think after this division having to deal with multiple customers with this issue they'd have sent out a memo by now...

I decided to just fix the problem myself by getting a Ubee DDW3611. That fixed it right up.

LoadStar

Firmware on my black SB6141: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.3-SCM03-NOSH

Still been rock solid. Only two additional blips listed on the log screen, both of which were when I unplugged the coax feed to the building.

Bebop

Thanks all.

I just got it working and hope for no issue for the next few years.

The flashing link light is annoying.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Bebop

I guess TW does upgrade firmware on customer owned modems.

just noticed mine SB6141 has been updated to: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.12-SCM00-NOSH on July 30th.

Looked like TW will up their modem rental fee to $6 making buying your own modem even more economical.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: Bebop;59524... just noticed mine SB6141 has been updated to: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.12-SCM00-NOSH on July 30th.

Looked like TW will up their modem rental fee to $6 ...

Thanks for the update on firmware issues.  That makes sense as they did the same with my CPE DPC2100 as soon as I connected it.  I read about the increase on DSLR yesterday too.  

Any "newer" rumors on how long until they eliminate DOCSIS 2 in this market?  

I just bought another DPC2100 as a backup, for $15.  But I do wonder if I call them, if they will authorize it.  At least it was a small amount of money to throw out the window.  After watching the 5341J on Amazon for a few months, it seems to fluctuate between about $75-100, in one $25 increment.   (I also wonder what is the variable that makes the price change like that overnight.)

ddeerrff

Just recently bought an SB6141 from these guys:
https://www.advancedstream.com/49modem

Installed it and had it provisioned last Monday night.  Overnight, Tuesday morning at about 2 am, it got a new software load.  I too am now at
SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.12-SCM00-NOSH

Been stable since then, with no entries in the log other than those related to the SW load and reboot.

duncantuna

Well, I'll be damned.  My firmware has been updated too.

Earlier this year, when I bought one, then a second SB6141 .. they rebooted 3-6x per day, and every TWC tech I spoke to, I pleaded with them to update the firmware.  They all said no .. but I always told them: Someday, you'll do it.  You'll get tired of people calling in, saying their customer owned modems didn't function properly.

Looks like that time has come.