News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New to Forums and HD

Started by Araelius, Thursday Jul 20, 2006, 10:31:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Araelius

Just thought my first post would be a hello to all of the forum members :)
I've always been interested in getting a HD television, even more since I purchased a Xbox 360 last month, so I decided to take the plunge and picked up a Hitachi 65" 1080i CRT 2 days ago. I also upgraded my TWC DigiPic package to the HD package and picked up the Explorer 8300HD to replace my current DVR box. Needless to say, I am loving every minute of it and the 360 looks amazing!

Anyway, have any advice on tweaking my tv to get the best picture quality and also would HDMI be better as opposed to Component cables? Any advice is greatly appreciated. :)

klwillis45

Welcome the wonderful world of HD and these forums. Do some searching on here and you'll see that people have had headaches with HDMI/TWC. You'll probably be better off using/saving that port for an upconverting/HDDVD/Blu-Ray player.

Araelius

Thanks for the quick reply :)
Just out of curiousity, since you own a X360 is the dvd quality similar to an upconverter dvd player? If not, which upconverter dvd player do you recommend?

klwillis45

The 360 does not upconvert  :(  It is a pro scan player though I use the pro scan that came with my HTIB to save wear and tear on the 360. I don't have an upconverting player yet so I'll be no help with advice. Trying to hold off til the HDDVD/BluRay fight is over though I have a feeling I'll spot a deal too good to pass up.

The OPPO players are supposed to be awesome for upconverts.

Chinatown

Quote from: AraeliusJust thought my first post would be a hello to all of the forum members :)
I've always been interested in getting a HD television, even more since I purchased a Xbox 360 last month, so I decided to take the plunge and picked up a Hitachi 65" 1080i CRT 2 days ago. I also upgraded my TWC DigiPic package to the HD package and picked up the Explorer 8300HD to replace my current DVR box. Needless to say, I am loving every minute of it and the 360 looks amazing!

Anyway, have any advice on tweaking my tv to get the best picture quality and also would HDMI be better as opposed to Component cables? Any advice is greatly appreciated. :)

And get satelite. You will save money and get a much better picture

Araelius

Quote from: ChinatownAnd get satelite. You will save money and get a much better picture

Unfortunately it is not a viable option as I reside in an apartment and the only option I have is leaving it in the back lawn and run the risk of the dish being damaged. Also, I am on the All-In-One plan which actually saved me about $30/month as opposed to SBC/ATT's crappy phone and DSL service.

It may be an option to get a dish in the future, in that case, which company would you recommend?

Chinatown

Quote from: AraeliusUnfortunately it is not a viable option as I reside in an apartment and the only option I have is leaving it in the back lawn and run the risk of the dish being damaged. Also, I am on the All-In-One plan which actually saved me about $30/month as opposed to SBC/ATT's crappy phone and DSL service.

It may be an option to get a dish in the future, in that case, which company would you recommend?

Have had Direct Tv for the last 6. You really can't go wrong with either one.