News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC HD signal and my Sony 53"

Started by Arge, Wednesday Jan 14, 2004, 01:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arge

I'm not having much luck with the contractors TWC sends out or TWC themselves on an issue I'm having so I thought I'd throw it out to the board for some feedback.
I have a Sony 53" HD ready & I'm using TWC's HD box.  The problem I'm encountering is when watching shows that do a lot of flash stuff like CSI, Alias etc. my HD signal gets lost for a second then comes back.  It makes it almost impossible to watch a show like CSI when they are flashing back to what happened or what they believe happened.  I lose the signal momentarily, then it comes back.
I've had TWC come out to check to see if there's any signal leak.  There's some slight degregation because I have my DVD/VCR split before the box (no other way to do it). But even taking the DVD/VCR off the cable and direct to the box, it still happens.  Any suggestions? :confused:

Paul S.

mhz40

QuoteOriginally posted by Arge
I'm not having much luck with the contractors TWC sends out or TWC themselves on an issue I'm having so I thought I'd throw it out to the board for some feedback.
I have a Sony 53" HD ready & I'm using TWC's HD box.  The problem I'm encountering is when watching shows that do a lot of flash stuff like CSI, Alias etc. my HD signal gets lost for a second then comes back.  It makes it almost impossible to watch a show like CSI when they are flashing back to what happened or what they believe happened.  I lose the signal momentarily, then it comes back.
I've had TWC come out to check to see if there's any signal leak.  There's some slight degregation because I have my DVD/VCR split before the box (no other way to do it). But even taking the DVD/VCR off the cable and direct to the box, it still happens.  Any suggestions? :confused:
TW dosen't send out contractors for repair---only installs...
Has a service tech looked at this or only install contractors?
Are you using component or the DVI interface?
Has anyone delved into the converter's diagnostic screens to help solve this during thier service visit?
If the reported bit-error-rate is poor, or the set top has reported errored-seconds in the mpeg stream, you have a cable signal problem.  Could be level related or ingress.  If bit error rates are good, you may either have a bad HD converter or something else wrong with the component input of your TV.  It isn't too tough to rule out your signal into the house as the problem if someone goes a little beyond just checking RF levels.

Arge

Thanks for info.  I use TWC's Pioneer Voyager box and the component input.
I have had a service tech out.  I think he only checked the RF at the box and at the line in.  Neither the installer or the tech that came out seemed to be too familiar with the HD box.  I think I'm going to have them out again but unless they're actually seeing what's happening, they seem to have some difficulties diagnosing the problem.  Maybe the next tech will have more experience.
I have thought that maybe it's either the box or the TV because if I'm watching CSI or similar show on 505 or 05 via the DTV input on my set, it does the same thing.  Through the video 1 input, I don't have the problem.