News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC 8300HD HDMI Handshake issue

Started by mrmike, Sunday Sep 20, 2009, 01:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmike

Went back and forth on putting this here vs. tech issues.  If I got it wrong mods feel free to move it.

I know there used to be issues with this box but they seem to have died down with the new software.

I recently put one of these in service to replace a TiVo Series 3 that's dead and awaiting RMA.  

The issue:  Frequently (more than 75% of the time) I get down-rezzed 480p out of the box instead of 1080i or 720p.  I've tried taking my HDMI switch (Monoprice HDX-501) out of the mix and that didn't help.  I've tried various versions of power-cycling the TV and DVR with no joy.  The most frequent success comes from actually unplugging the DVR and replugging it in.  But I hate having to do that every time I want to watch a show on it.  

Any notions/tricks?  I'm going to re-wire for component today just to prevent annoyance but I'd like to get back to HDMI for convenience eventually.

(The TV is a Westinghouse LVM-42W2 monitor, old but generally reliable on HDMI with my HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players as well as both TiVos).

klwillis45

mrmike

Quote from: klwillis45;53553Try a different HDMI cable.

Should have mentioned that.  Went through 9 cables from 3 different mfg, both between the cable box and the switch and the switch and the TV and the cable box to the TV directly.  Same issues.  All the cables test out OK with the other devices as well.

LoadStar

You try turning off everything but 720p and/or 1080i in the software?

mrmike

Quote from: LoadStar;53555You try turning off everything but 720p and/or 1080i in the software?

Yup.  And it turns 480p on all by its lonesome.  Sometimes I get the HDCP nag screen but mostly it just ends up at 480p.  I'm thinking of swapping the box.  Maybe the HDMI connector is wonky.  The interwebs don't seem to think it's an common issue anymore.